30 Days Shred is not for obese people?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am not and was not obese but I couldn't even finish 5 minutes the first time I did the shred. i was so discouraged i cried. It gets significantly easier... If you are expecting ANY results in ANYthing you do it's not gonna be easy. Choosing to overcome those moments of weakness will reward you! You can do it!
  • NonDebutante3dot0
    NonDebutante3dot0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Indira! I would recommend that you pay close attention to your body's reactions to the program. If one is carrying 100+ lbs more than one's ideal weight (as I am), doing a 30-Day "Shred" sounds punishing indeed. (Which brings to mind a question to ask yourself--is it possible you believe your body should be punished? I don't believe it should.) Consider that if you work up to more vigorous exercise very slowly and gradually, you will enjoy it more and want to do it long-term. Cheers!!
  • margeb102
    margeb102 Posts: 18
    Options
    bump
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. It's nice to know you experiences w/ jm 30 days shred. I definitely learn alot from you.

I found jumping jack very difficult for me. am out of breath and my boobs jumping up and down, it hurt my chest.
    and the second one, push up. Is it okay if I modify with wall push up?

Hang in there and just keep trying. Everyone else has already given great advice, so I won't repeat. But I do have one suggestion for push-ups. Try the big exercise ball. You can find it at Wal-Mart or sporting goods stores. That is THE ONLY way I can do any push-ups. Yes, they are wimpy pushups compared to regular ones, but very sufficient until you get enough strength and lose more weight. It's also great for doing crunches and having your lower back supported.

Oh what a great idea..Im going to head to Walmart and get one..I need it for crunches for sure
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Is it 30days in a row or one day on and one off?? I did the first day and was extremely sore so i took a day in between. I'm going on day 3.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can try the biggest loser ones. I liked them and they show modified exercises for people that are more out of shape. Exercise isn't going to be easy for anyone who has extra weight. If it's really hard and causing pain to do these exercises maybe you can start off on a stationary bike or just walking for 45 minutes a day till you lose 20 pounds or so and it will be much easier to move around and you'll have more energy. Or do the 30ds as best you can and it will be easier every time you do it after.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. It's nice to know you experiences w/ jm 30 days shred. I definitely learn alot from you.

I found jumping jack very difficult for me. am out of breath and my boobs jumping up and down, it hurt my chest.
    and the second one, push up. Is it okay if I modify with wall push up?

That's fine a wall push up is a good modification you are still working your same muscles and getting stronger. As long as you "feel the burn" your getting results. If you can do 1000 and not feel it you could change to knee push ups. You will need a good sports bra. (good luck finding one if you don't have small boobs I have a hard time finding a good one for larger breasts) or wear 2 bras it should help. If you get out of breath after a few jumping jacks just walk in place till your heart rate lowers. You don't want to just stop and sit if your heart rate is elevated. If you are experiencing pain or tightness in your chest when out of breath go see a doctor.
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree it is very difficult.. at first.. give yourself a few days of doing it to get more comfortable.. when is the last time you put your body through that. I needed to lose 60 lbs and I cant remember the last time I did a sit up... but eventough you cannot do it like they do.. You are MOVING your body and it will get easier. I promise... GL!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I just start 30 Days Shred. It. Is. Damn. Hard.

I'm 100 lbs overweight, so I'm consider as obese. Seems like there's no workout video out there for people who have alot to lose.

I started 30ds at 245 lbs..i'd say i was obese then. you have to make a start somewhere, but as others have said, please consult a DOCTOR and not some money grabbing ' personal trainer' before embarking on an exercise regime. 30ds is not easy..I have the utmost admiration for people who finish it..I have given up 3 times and have no destroyed the dvd.
  • Karen918
    Karen918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 239 pounds and I find it hard to keep up with too. One of my favorites is the Biggest Loser Cardio Max, it has 3 levels also that lets you increase as you go. I think it is intended for bigger people who are just beginning and even shows how to modify some of the exercises if you can't do them yet.

I don't think it is that I can't do 30 Day Shred because of my weight, i think it is just that overall I'm in bad shape from not exercising for so many years and I need to build up to it.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I first tried 30 day shred at 275lbs and it played havoc on my knee's, I've lost 25lbs since then and still wont try it till I've lost some more. Everyone is different, just take it steady
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone walk fit dvds.

I came in to post this. If you are obese and very unfit (like me) these are far easier to start out with. And Leslie is such a sweetie that you don't feel bad if you mess up. Try one of her DVDs, you can always move on to things like 30DS later when you've lost some weight and have gotten into a better shape. at least, that's what I'm planning to do:wink:

Edit: I also found Leslie's walk at home DVDs more fun, and it is better for my self-confidence to do something I actually can do rather then something that makes me feel like a fat failure.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't hard, it wouldn't be a workout, would it?

I have a 'person' who goes to work out every once in a while at a local gym. Later, they whine about how hard the workout is and how sore they are. Leads me to wonder what people are thinking when they do workouts. Do they think that it will be like a stroll in the sun? Do they think that they will not be sore from it?

Yes, workouts make you ..... work out. That's their purpose. Maybe you are just too out of shape for 30DS. Start a walking program with some lifting and get in shape. You are least know now what is expected from 30DS. Work toward that, but realize that even if you do a walking program and lift weights, 30DS is still going to be hard, because it is a workout. That's its purpose.
  • holpan11
    holpan11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I first did 30DS I was normal weight range for my height but general fitness was not great, I found it hard and my body ached. It took me a week or two to start finding it slightly easier. I don't think it matters too much on how much you weigh, like other people have said, go at your own pace. You can't be expected to go at the same pace as the people on the video straight away.

Do as much as you can, you will find after a few days you can do a bit more, then a bit more. Don't give yourself a hard time if you can't complete it first, second, third time round. Just stick at it and be proud of whatever you achieve. Everyone has to begin somewhere with exercise.

Good Luck and keep us posted x
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The first time I did 30DS I was 210 and 5'3" This time around I'm around 200. So yes it is possible, but it is hard. It is ok to modify the moves to fit you. It is better to do what you can than to do nothing at all. If jumping jacks are too much then do one leg at a time or substitute another cardio move in its place. I think the first time around I did marching in place because I didn't have a proper bra. I still can't do the buttkicks because they kill my knees and ankles so I jog in place instead.

I also really liked the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD with Bob. He has a more gentle approach and it shows you obese people working out. It is still a great workout though.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I first started even walking, I could barely make it through half of a "Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk". I could barely raise my arms. BUT I had to get serious with myself along time ago and say cowgirl up! Maybe just maybe you picked the hardest workout in the beginning. The beginning is just that. I remember when my goal was to walk across the street! Oh I just talked to a friend a few days ago and cried to think. Bring your goals down to attainable BUT still very hard. PUSH yourself. I know you can!

Doctors approval is very important! Unfortuantly I do not have clearance for the shred. I DO have clearance for so many many many other things!
  • Ldavies85
    Ldavies85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You have to build up your strength and stamina, It takes time. Start out slow and work a little harder each time. It will eventually get easier. It's called 'Working" out because it is, 'work'! It wouldn't be effective if it was easy.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited to find this thread. I just ordered 30DS BC it looks challenging wo a bunch of dance steps that just make me feel stupid since im rhythm less, lol. I expect it to be very difficult and I imagine I will not be able to keep up w JM. But she's the expert right? I shouldn't be able to stay w her, at least in the beginning. I'm 5'9 and I currently weigh 197, I have lost 70 lbs doing curves circuit training and zumba so the weight will come off IF I work at it. But it's up to me :) Good luck everyone! I can't wait to get my butt kicked by Jullian!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone walk fit dvds.

This! They are great for building up. Start with these and eventually move up to 30DS. It's not a race, and know your body's limits to avoid injury. I started my journey just walking. My joints ached and I huffed and puffed and I pushed my son's stroller around the neighborhood, but that was my starting fitness level. Eventually I worked up to Jillian and beyond. I'm now on my second round of insanity. I always listened to my body and started by just trying to walk 30 mins a day. Those Leslie sansone videos are great.
  • indiralaksmi
    Options
    Thank you, Thank You, Thank You....to all of you who hv recommend Leslie Sansone.
    It's really a great workout. It's not difficult at all. But I still sweat a lot!

And yes, Leslie such a sweetie who wont make you depressed.
    For now, I keep my 30 DS dvd in the box untill I reach my overweight and confidence enough to do the workout :D