Alchohol and weight

Options

Replies

• temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    PS "the OP was asking why they can drink more now that they've lost weight" .. you're quite right, Military.

I thought the guy was asking "can I drink beer" in the sense of "affecting my weight"

But he means, like, "getting drunk / hungover" effects.

I'm afraid I have no clue about that as, my strategy is to stay smashed all the time :-/
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The opposite for me... I have always been able to handle my drink (it's a family trait...sadly) but now I have lost my weight I have to be careful cuz I get buzzed pretty quick! Fun! Haha

A family trait ;)
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would put forth the idea that since you improved your overall health and quit drinking for over a year you allowed your body to clean out a bit, your body got better at processing toxins and therefor you can drink more and not feel the effects as much the next day. If I drink several days in a row, my liver HATES me, but the occassional bender seems fine.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    "Gee, I drink beer, and mix lifting heavy with some cardio and I'm dropping body fat at the rate of 1 to 1.5 % per month. How would you explain that?"

MMA, there is no mystery. It's fantastic that you are losing weight and fantastic you have lost 11 pounds.

There are all sorts of ways to lose weight -- A person can lose weight by eating a massive amount of food and exercising an incredible amount; or, you can lose weight by the yucky "original atkins" method of protein only and nothing else. Or, You can lose weight eating a huge amounts of carbs, and almost nothing else and a spectacular amount of exercise. (You'll be incredibly unhealthy, but you'll lose fat.) Or, you can lose weight by plain starving yourself. There are many different ways.

The question at hand in this thread here is simply "alcohol".

All the science suggests that the problem with alcohol is:

WHEN IT IS INGESTED WITH CARBS.

(This is simple and obvious and passes the common sense test if you think of the insulin chain.)

OK?

Beer has much more carbs than wine, so, wine's "better" than beer in the "taken with carbs" sense -- indeed, pure alcohols (vodka) are even "better" again.

Regarding your own very specific case. Look at it this way. You're currently losing weight - fantastic.

I suggest that if you replace beer with vodka (and DO NOT eat any carbs near the time you ingest vodka), quite simply, you'll lose more weight and (most importantly) more easily.

I think the point to emphasise is that all current science suggests ( -- although this is a fresh new topic in body science -- ) that the problem with alcohol is when it is present WITH carbohydrates (i.e. when your pancreas has been activated).

Again, if you're saying you know of one person (you) who has "lost weight with beer" that's great, but try swapping out beer for vodka+no carbs at the time of drinking, and you might get a pleasant surprise, ie, even more dramatic results.

You confuse me to no end. I drink beer almost every weekend, alcohol gives me munchies and I LOVE my carbs when I'm drunk. Had a deep fried shrimp po boy this weekend and my weight loss has not skipped a beat.

I've seen you post a few times about the 72 carbs thing. I want some info. Reseach, studies, books a bit more current then the 1960s. I haven't seen anything that makes me think (other then medical conditions, and even then it varies on an individual level) anything other then the only factor in weightloss is eating a constant caloric deficit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "Gee, I drink beer, and mix lifting heavy with some cardio and I'm dropping body fat at the rate of 1 to 1.5 % per month. How would you explain that?"

MMA, there is no mystery. It's fantastic that you are losing weight and fantastic you have lost 11 pounds.

There are all sorts of ways to lose weight -- A person can lose weight by eating a massive amount of food and exercising an incredible amount; or, you can lose weight by the yucky "original atkins" method of protein only and nothing else. Or, You can lose weight eating a huge amounts of carbs, and almost nothing else and a spectacular amount of exercise. (You'll be incredibly unhealthy, but you'll lose fat.) Or, you can lose weight by plain starving yourself. There are many different ways.

(This is simple and obvious and passes the common sense test if you think of the insulin chain.)

OK?

Beer has much more carbs than wine, so, wine's "better" than beer in the "taken with carbs" sense -- indeed, pure alcohols (vodka) are even "better" again.

Regarding your own very specific case. Look at it this way. You're currently losing weight - fantastic.

I suggest that if you replace beer with vodka (and DO NOT eat any carbs near the time you ingest vodka), quite simply, you'll lose more weight and (most importantly) more easily.

I think the point to emphasise is that all current science suggests ( -- although this is a fresh new topic in body science -- ) that the problem with alcohol is when it is present WITH carbohydrates (i.e. when your pancreas has been activated).

Again, if you're saying you know of one person (you) who has "lost weight with beer" that's great, but try swapping out beer for vodka+no carbs at the time of drinking, and you might get a pleasant surprise, ie, even more dramatic results.

You confuse me to no end. I drink beer almost every weekend, alcohol give me munchies and I LOVE my carbs when I'm drunk. Had a deep fried shrimp po boy this weekend and my weight loss has not skipped a beat.

I've seen you post a few times about the 72 carbs thing. I want some info. Reseach, studies, books a bit more current then the 1960s. I haven't seen anything that makes me think (other then medical conditions, and even then it varies on an individual level) that the only factor in weightloss is eating a constant caloric deficit.

What a bunch of hocum!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

OK?

You confuse me to no end. I drink beer almost every weekend, alcohol give me munchies and I LOVE my carbs when I'm drunk. Had a deep fried shrimp po boy this weekend and my weight loss has not skipped a beat.

I've seen you post a few times about the 72 carbs thing. I want some info. Reseach, studies, books a bit more current then the 1960s. I haven't seen anything that makes me think (other then medical conditions, and even then it varies on an individual level) that the only factor in weightloss is eating a constant caloric deficit.

What a bunch of hocum!!

Him or me?
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    Alcohol, while in it's natural liquid state can advertise ( like vodka and rum) that there are no carbs. However, when ingested, the body begins to break it down into sugar alcohols. Now, what was originally in the glass a non-carb drink, becomes one simply by being ingested. Our livers are responsible for processing alcohol, and when on a diet, most folks eat better, which leads to less toxin load for the liver to break down. It is the state of our liver that gives us a buzz or not, in my opinion.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

OK?

What a bunch of hocum!!

Him or me?

Not you! Him! Definitely him!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    "Considering wine has far more sugar and carbs than beer, ounce for ounce, this is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever read."

Hmm, you can very simply look up the carbohydrate and calorie amounts for beer and for wine.

It is extremely simple to do this - in fact , you could use my fitness pal! :)
    Red wine has 25 calories and 1 gram of carbs per ounce.

Beer has 13 calories and 1 gram of carbs per ounce.

So, wine has twice the calories per ounce of beer. Would you care to revise your statement that completely fails to stand up to the facts?
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still feel like *kitten* if I drink too much :sick:
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    "Considering wine has far more sugar and carbs than beer, ounce for ounce, this is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever read."

Hmm, you can very simply look up the carbohydrate and calorie amounts for beer and for wine.

So, wine has twice the calories per ounce of beer. Would you care to revise your statement that completely fails to stand up to the facts?

When will the face-palm tiger come out to play? :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options

This is all well and good. We were talking about the buzz effect, not the Carbs ratio.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    After losing 20% of my body mass I have found that I handle alcohol much worse. I have had to re-adjust my limits because I can no longer drink what I used to. Though oddly enough, I don't seem to get the same hangovers. This could be simply because I'm not drinking as much.

As far as the lunatic theory that you can't drink beer goes, that has to be one of the funnier things I've read on here. I've logged almost 400 beers in the last year and I've lost 60lbs. Oh, but YOU CAN'T DRINK BEER! I'll be sure to listen to that advice, right after I follow the HCG diet. Ridiculous.
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You're not putting as much food into your stomach so not as much to soak up the alcohol ;) aha
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think the whole carb thing is a bit of rubbish really no offence. I know people that have 300-400g of carbs a day and drink and they're some of the leanest mofo's I've ever seen (incredibly fit) They can't handle as much as I seem to be able to though haha.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I'm more of a light weight now that I weigh less.
  • bbooop
    bbooop Posts: 20
    Options
    never really thought about carbs and alcohol but had a wee look after reading your post . seems most beers have carbs . ATM I am drinking an efes turkish beer so checked it out and it has no carbs ? any idea why this is as most other beers do have carbs x
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've got a feeling you have very little or perhaps no knowledge in this field, Wacky.
    Why is it the most ignorant people trumpet their ignorance the loudest?

Acrylation stimulation protein.

Google it.

Everything I posted is well supported by science that is not 20 years old.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think the whole carb thing is a bit of rubbish really no offence. I know people that have 300-400g of carbs a day and drink and they're some of the leanest mofo's I've ever seen (incredibly fit) They can't handle as much as I seem to be able to though haha.
    Quite possible. The deal is, the body burns alcohol in preference to other macronutrients, so if you are carrying a caloric surplus, alcohol gets consumed, and surplus fat/carbs are stored. If you are not carrying a surplus, or if replenishing glycogen stores and energy for anaerobic repair and muscle synthesis exceeds net caloric intake, then you will not gain fat.