Alchohol and weight

Options

Replies

• glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The problem is CARBOHYDRATES.

In a word, alcohol + carbohydrates == massive increase in body fat.

However if YOU ARE IN FACT someone who has a very moderate carb intake, I can personally attest that prue alcohol intake, as such, does not - necessarily - lead to body fat.

(I drank a massive, indeed ridiculous, amount of wine while losing 30-40 kg. (70, 80 pounds.) HOWEVER it is essential to realise I have a really precise controlled intake of 72 grams carbs per day, only, unvarying, all year, the magic number.)

in a word - forget beer. you can never drink it. it is the "perfect" potion of alcohol plus carbohydrates. Just forget it. You can never drink beer - it's out.

**IF** you are a Dr Lutz devotee, and you are eating 72 grams CHO per day, exactly, month in and month out, and your pancreas is already healed ... in my opinion, the opinion of many, and my overwhelming experiecne, wine (alcohol, but no carbs) has no effect on FAT loss. But that's JUST ME and it ONLY applies to Dr Lutz devotees ... 72 grams carbs per day strictly forever.

Again, regarding beer. It's out. Just forget about it, like it doesn't exist in the universe. No person interested in body fat issues, can drink beer at all.

Beer == simply the ultimate body fat builder.

You can never, ever drink beer - it's gone.

If there was an award for being wrong, you would have just won. Congrats.

Real answer:
    Caloric surplus = fat gain
    Alcohol + caloric surplus = even more fat gain

If you want to experiment, eat 6000 calories of fatty meat (delicious prime ribeye perhaps?), no carbs (or "72 grams"), and drink a ton of vodka (no carbs), and see what happens.

Still drunk during the autopsy?
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh dear... the OP was asking why they can drink more now that they've lost weight.

This thread has turned into a carb discussion. Lets face it, we all know that you're not magically going to gain weight if you eat carbs, it's still a case of calories in and out.

Spoken as simple truth.:smile:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I, personally, don't think I can handle quite as much alcohol as I could 20 lbs ago. I probably haven't gained very much muscle, though, so I suppose that could make a difference.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Oh dear... the OP was asking why they can drink more now that they've lost weight.

This thread has turned into a carb discussion. Lets face it, we all know that you're not magically going to gain weight if you eat carbs, it's still a case of calories in and out.

Spoken as simple truth.:smile:

All the charts compare amount of safe alcohol intake (presumably to drive later) per hour for X hours based on body weight. So it seems safe to say that the science of the matter is if you weigh more (no breakdown of fat v. lean body mass) you can drink more alcohol than if you weigh less. Clearly there are other factors such as your general "tolerance", how fast you metabolize the stuff, how much you have in your stomach and so on. Weighing less and being able to safely drink more is counter-intuitive, but it is certainly a possible phenomenon if you metabolize it more quickly as a result of better liver function ( a less fatty liver is more efficient). Sorry not so simple, but not about carbs.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Again, regarding beer. It's out. Just forget about it, like it doesn't exist in the universe. No person interested in body fat issues, can drink beer at all.

Uhm, yeah, I am calling BS. :noway:
    Nice try though!

In response to the original poster, I have found that I get drunk quicker now after losing 15 lbs. Probably because I don't drink as much since I can't really and stay under my goal and still get enough healthy foods in. As for hangovers, I haven't had any, but then again I am not drinking as much! :ohwell:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've got a feeling you have very little or perhaps no knowledge in this field, Wacky.
    Why is it the most ignorant people trumpet their ignorance the loudest?

Acrylation stimulation protein.

Google it.

Everything I posted is well supported by science that is not 20 years old.
    *acylation. Can't type.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article on alcohol and weight loss that I found interesting.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    For me...weight was never an issue on how much I could drink...I could drink more depending on how hydrated I was.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well, I'm almost half my highest weight now. Thanks to being a rare drinker, I'm a lightweight. BUT - I've never had a hangover, nor have I been unable to remember anything that happened, even after a 70cl bottle of rum. I don't puke, either.

EDIT: Hmm, now I think of it, I've always drunk a lot of water and stuff. Even since I was little. Perhaps that's why?
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    Im relatively new to MFP.... But I have noticed since Ive made changes in my diet/life style, I can no longer drink the amount I was once able to. In one way I'm glad I can no longer drink insane amounts of alcohol but in another way It sucks.. Even a small amount of alcohol make me feel like *kitten* in the morning.. My energy is zapped, mood is less than good, head feels like its splitting.. Im finding that alcohol is not worth the calories nor the hang over! Ive put off getting healthy and happy for a long time and Im truly grateful to have found this site!!!! Everyone here has the common bond of bettering themselves and I find this to be a HUGE source of INSPIRATION for me!!! To all my MFP Family!!! I love each and every single one of you!!!! Thank you for being a constant source of motivation for me!!!! #TeamWeCanDoIt!!!!! ;0) With Love, Chelsea!!!!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

However if YOU ARE IN FACT someone who has a very moderate carb intake, I can personally attest that prue alcohol intake, as such, does not - necessarily - lead to body fat.

(I drank a massive, indeed ridiculous, amount of wine while losing 30-40 kg. (70, 80 pounds.) HOWEVER it is essential to realise I have a really precise controlled intake of 72 grams carbs per day, only, unvarying, all year, the magic number.)

in a word - forget beer. you can never drink it. it is the "perfect" potion of alcohol plus carbohydrates. Just forget it. You can never drink beer - it's out.

**IF** you are a Dr Lutz devotee, and you are eating 72 grams CHO per day, exactly, month in and month out, and your pancreas is already healed ... in my opinion, the opinion of many, and my overwhelming experiecne, wine (alcohol, but no carbs) has no effect on FAT loss. But that's JUST ME and it ONLY applies to Dr Lutz devotees ... 72 grams carbs per day strictly forever.

Aw, crap. I eat 73 gm of carbs every day...I'm so screwed :sad: :sad:

:bigsmile:
  • brighteyes31143
    Options

Aw, crap. I eat 73 gm of carbs every day...I'm so screwed :sad: :sad:

Beer is the DEVIL when you are trying to get healthy/lose weight.. It breaks down as sugar, which is then stored as FAT... Its a HUGE waste of calories.. Sadly, I LOVE BEER but am realizing that Beer and I can NOT BE FRIENDS... I have to love it from a DISTANCE.. Its like a 'bad friend', one you LOVE but has a sorted life style which is neither healthy nor productive for you so its best to keep a distance from!!!! Good Bye My Lover, Good Bye My Friend.....

:bigsmile:
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i don't really bother drinking anymore because it's not worth the calories. i'd rather put something in that will do me some good. plus i'm cheap and i hate spending money on things like that. it's not as enjoyable as it once was years ago
  • Monife
    Monife Posts: 9
    Options
    The opposite for me. I get drunk on much less after losing 3 stone. Haven't really noticed much difference in the hangover, I think mine just gets worse with age lol
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    free bump
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    The opposite for me. I get drunk on much less after losing 3 stone. Haven't really noticed much difference in the hangover, I think mine just gets worse with age lol

What does 3 stone equate to when calculated in pounds?!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see what the percentages are of people that are able to drink more/less vs whatever diet/food plan they are on. With some of the posts implying the excess water in the muscles that have been built is able to dilute alcohol, perhaps the eat more, lift heavy group that is building muscle find they are not as easily effected by alcohol as they used to be. Then you have others that say that they have become lightweights, perhaps this is because they are severely restricting their calories? This gets me thinking. My theory could be completely wrong, however, because everyone knows that if you eat less before you drink, you will get drunk quicker and be a light weight, so it could just be a matter of how much you are eating to soak up the alcohol.

For me, I tried WW several years back and was religious with it for 6 months. At the end of that time, I had a party time out with some friends that lasted maybe 2 hours for me and 2 margaritas and I was never a light weight. I think I went past drunk almost immediately.

Now that I am focusing on muscle building and eating more calories, I don't get drunk near as easy and I haven't noticed much in the way of next day effects.

BTW, never drinking again (beer, wine or otherwise) is not an option, sorry 72 carb dude. People lose weight and still drink, even beer!! GASP!!
  • Monife
    Monife Posts: 9
    Options

42 pounds :)
  • brighteyes31143
    Options

42 pounds :)

Damn that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! ;0)
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can definitely handle more. Like someone said about the rum, I just drank and drank rum on friday and I was totally fine. I didn't sleep that well and I functioned well all weekend so :/

I definitely drink more water now than I used to. Especially on weekdays when I'm at work, this could be the answer.