NO JUDGEMENT, IF SO DON'T READ!

2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    HCG diet is incredibly unhealthy. It's a starvation diet with a placebo. Losing weight has absolutely nothing to do with the HCG (EVERY controlled study has proven that time and again,) and everything to do with the fact that the dieter is restricted to 500 calories a day, and limited food choices, plus no exercise at all (not that anybody would have the energy to exercise at only 500 calories a day.)

In short, it's a diet that forces someone to eat less than an anorexic usually does. It's a horrible idea all the way around.

Completely wrong and just more fear mongering without facts to back you up. Calling a diet unhealthy without saying why it's unhealthy just shows how uneducated you are on the subject. HCG injection is not a placebo and it works as confirmed by Dr. Oz and any other medical clinic you go to. It works by suppressing your appetite to make it possible for you to eat only 500 calories a day. You can't get the injections without consulting your doctor and that doctor can monitor your body for any abnormalities.
    You would get the exact same results just eating 500 calories a day. The shots have nothing to do with it. There is not a single real, reputable medical organization that endorses it, and quite honestly, it is ILLEGAL in the United States to sell it and market it as a weight loss product.

Eating 500 calories a day is unhealthy, period. The ONLY caveat to that is under strict medical supervision, heavy vitamin supplementation, and sever morbid obesity. A 500 pound person can get away with eating at that low levels, because being that obese is much more dangerous than the severe calorie restriction. A person just trying to lose 40 or 50 pounds? That's unhealthy in all aspects, and any "doctor" that would allow that is just in it for money.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Also, cholesterol and triglycerides levels improved significantly after the hcg diet.

hope this helps.
    Those improve significantly just by losing weight, HCG had nothing to do with it.
  • Hi. I used the HCG homeopathic drops. What I can tell you is that I DID lose weight, but not in a good way. 500 calories a day is not enough food. I was STARVING the whole time. And, I did not lose as much weight as I did using the Atkins plan. There are many testimonies out there about those who have used the "real" HCG injections, but I have to say that I DO think it is the 500 calorie per day diet that makes it work, rather than the HCG itself. There is a lot to learn, too, about how to do this the right way. There IS a group on Yahoo Groups that would help her if this is what she chooses to do... but, then there is the "what to do after". She will ahve to make some real lifestyle changes to maintain... but that is what we all must do!! You may suggest to her that doing a weight loss plan this way might not be the best long term way to go. Instead, show her different options for weight loss, and let her choose the one that would fit her lifestyle the best. I tried many different ways to lose weight and none of them worked until Atkins for me. We all must look at what the r-e-a-l issues are about why we have gained weight, and then work from there to make the changes we need to be successful.... and healthy. I hope your friend finds a plan that she can be successful with.... whatever it may be.
  • Dott2009
    Dott2009 Posts: 16
    Some people are so desperate to lose weight that they will buy into anything.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    HCG diet is incredibly unhealthy. It's a starvation diet with a placebo. Losing weight has absolutely nothing to do with the HCG (EVERY controlled study has proven that time and again,) and everything to do with the fact that the dieter is restricted to 500 calories a day, and limited food choices, plus no exercise at all (not that anybody would have the energy to exercise at only 500 calories a day.)

In short, it's a diet that forces someone to eat less than an anorexic usually does. It's a horrible idea all the way around.

Completely wrong and just more fear mongering without facts to back you up. Calling a diet unhealthy without saying why it's unhealthy just shows how uneducated you are on the subject. HCG injection is not a placebo and it works as confirmed by Dr. Oz and any other medical clinic you go to. It works by suppressing your appetite to make it possible for you to eat only 500 calories a day. You can't get the injections without consulting your doctor and that doctor can monitor your body for any abnormalities.

Oh faceless person, please go hide under a rock. There are also these "medical professionals" who support/conduct the feeding tube diet, look it up. A degree doesn't mean that what you do/support has to be ethical, it just means it can make a profit for people too LAZY to put the necessary work in to change their lifestyle. You will lose weight on this diet and with only 500calories of nutrients to pull from, you will be losing a lot more than that.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member

You would get the exact same results just eating 500 calories a day. The shots have nothing to do with it. There is not a single real, reputable medical organization that endorses it, and quite honestly, it is ILLEGAL in the United States to sell it and market it as a weight loss product.

Eating 500 calories a day is unhealthy, period. The ONLY caveat to that is under strict medical supervision, heavy vitamin supplementation, and sever morbid obesity. A 500 pound person can get away with eating at that low levels, because being that obese is much more dangerous than the severe calorie restriction. A person just trying to lose 40 or 50 pounds? That's unhealthy in all aspects, and any "doctor" that would allow that is just in it for money.

Obviously, you are uneducated on VLC-Diets because the only thing you can do is start a fear mongering contest by talking out of your azz. It's unhealthy, great. Can you even tell me why it's unhealthy or is that more azztalk? On the subject of HCG, you can get it through injections from your doctor and that is the only way it will work. Now, as for a 500 calorie VLC-Diet, it works and many professional MMA fighters, boxers, and body builders will do some variation of the diet right before competition. Fighters will train at 10 to 15 pounds above their weight class and do a VLCD 2 to 3 weeks right before competition to make their weight in and as everyone knows, fighters are not morbidly obese. Link below to see a perfectly healthy person eating 600 calories a day to get his desired muscle mass. He did PSMF, a variation of a VLCD that many fighters use.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121060001&highlight=psmf
  • Mymy101
    Mymy101 Posts: 23 Member
    When I first joined MFP, I admitted I had been on just about EVERY diet there ever was. HGC is no exception. Yes it does work. But I think that even without taking HGC, if I ate that little, I would probably loose the same amount of weight. In my opinion its just a placebo, totally a case of "mind over matter". There's a funny side to taking it too. When you put the drops under your tongue, you're supposed to keep it there for a minute or two. Usually two seconds after doing this, either the phone would ring or someone would ask me a question. Lol
  • tpeacoe1
    tpeacoe1 Posts: 22
    One of the biggest reasons I am starting to dislike this site is because of the people on it. You guys are supposed to be supportive. None of you have any idea what some people go through to lose weight. Some people can't lose weight due to medical reasons! Its not exactly "easy" for those to lose the weight like you can. And the fact that you bash people for suggestions and simply informing themselves is ridiculous!!!!!! If someone would like to do weight watchers, good for them! Some people lose with it, others dont. If you want to starve yourself, go ahead and do it because in the end no one's honest opinion is gonna change their mind. Now to the HCG diet. I have been doing alot of research myself about it and it does indeed help some people. In other words it can hurt people but what you all need to understand is that everyone's body is different. Just because you got really sick off of a diet doesn't mean someone else will.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Some people are so desperate to lose weight that they will buy into anything.

except hard work and common sense.....
    You guys are supposed to be supportive. None of you have any idea what some people go through to lose weight.

Supportive doesn't necessarily imply agreeing with a product that has been banned by the FDA (for weight loss) and entails an unsustainable VLCD. You have no idea what we have gone through to lose weight, I think if you polled MFP members you'd find that most of us have bought the stupid products, used the stupid diets that don't work and are sharing the benefit of our experience in the faint hope that, rather than whining, you might actually learn from our mistakes.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    I had a friend on my page who had done the HCG diet. NO IM NOT LOOKING TO GO ON IT, I just have a few questions about it. A friend of my is interested in doing it and I just want to give her the facts before she does it. Don't bash me or my post if you don't agree with the HCG diet. Everyone has their own opinion about what works and what doesnt. I haven't tried it myself, and won't but I want to ask a few questions if anyone has tried it PM ME! :):)

Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

For the time being, HCG discussions remain an option for members in private Groups. Please remember that even in Groups, all site wide rules must be correctly moderated, or the Group runs the risk of deletion. Specifically, endorsement of purchasing prescription supplements or medications without a prescription is in violation of the MyFitnessPal posting guidelines, which can be reviewed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!