What would you do if you earned $10,000 per month?

Options

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I would find a house that would accomodate our family of six.

I would pay off all our bills. (which would take one month, maybe 2).

Then I would put half in savings every month and not touch it.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Two chicks at the same time....I figure if I made that much I could probably hook that up

HAHAHA awesome quote.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes, cost of living does have an affect.

I, the original poster, would live well off this money. I've also trained myself to live off of less.

For example, I do have a mortgage. Mine is $550 per month. Yes, five hundred fifty dollars. However, the trade off for such a small mortgage is a small house (700 sq. ft) in a somewhat ghetto neighborhood.

So, yes, for some of you $10K isn't a lot.

For others, like myself, it is.

For those of you say you could never live off of "such little" money. You need a reality check. Life will throw you curveballs.

I also suggest being grateful for what you have.

THIS^ I was thinking the same thing.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Pay off all my debt and have a baby.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'd save up enough to buy a parcel of land with cash, build an ecohouse and then quit my job.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This has probably been mentioned already, but 10k a month isn't going to get you a personal trainer, personal chef, or an island.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Finally buy a house.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd make it rain
    :laugh:
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I only can wish to make that much a month! But....I'm a dreamer for sure, so this will be fun!

*Pay off any and all debt for me and my parents!
    *Buy a house!!
    *Travel! I've always wanted to travel to Greece, Italy, Ireland, just to name a few!
    *Help my sister have her dream wedding!
    *Buy a new car!
    *Put money away for my Godson's college.
    *Charity
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Ohh and also, get a personal trainer!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Finally take care of medical stuff I can't afford since I don't have insurance through my job (I am the only full-time employee so there's no group plan). I make very good money for what I do, but not nearly 10k/month. I'd probably get all of my dental work done, pay off my debt, get a house with a fenced in yard (only needing a 3/2, nothing fancy), find a good psychologist/psychiatrist so I can get my **** straight heh. I know very little about investing, but perhaps that might be something I'd look into. Call me boring, but I have priorities lol. I am perfectly happy with my car. I think the house and less debt would ease some of my stress (dealing with obnoxious apartment neighbors can be stressful, along with *kitten* real estate management companies). The dental work is long overdue. Needing a thyroid test too. *sigh* One can only dream!
  • polo18
    polo18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    More money...more problems. The more you make, the more you tend to "need". I make that amount, while I have piece of mind financially, my job is not 9-5. I'm not going to lie and say having no bills, owning a house and nice car outright is no fun. I can buy anything my heart desires and not think about it. It is great.

The pressure from my job can be very intense, and cause me to eat due to stress. I've been thin, and I'd take thin over money.

As many people say, be careful what you wish for. You can't put a price on health.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Loving the variety of responses on here, seems we have folks from a wide range of incomes from students to high earners. From that perspective I think I have to put myself in the high-earners category (my wife and I probably take home close to $10k net a month) but let me tell you the money still goes, somehow your standard of living just creeps up with every increase in earnings!

Don't get the impression I'm dome rich snob though, I've come from a relatively poor family, and never really had any money (think wearing home made clothes to school - and being the fat kid... not great :tongue: ). So I have worked my *kitten* off to do better. I have put myself through two university degrees (still paying them off) and have worked my way up to a decent paying job.

What this allows me to do is live my life comfortably. We have a nice home (still with a big mortgage), cars that I dont have to worry about breaking down on me, and I will be able to send my kids to a good school and give them the advantages in their life I was not able to have - like a stable place to call home. It might sound corny, but this is one of my biggest drivers in life.

Are we comfortable, yes. Are we rich, unfortunately not. I do have moments of looking back on my college days though, with no working car, struggling to pay my rent etc - very different times, but still a whole lot of fun. The stresses are just different; then I had no money, now I have no free time :happy:
  • stacyemmynik
    stacyemmynik Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd move out of state, buy a new car, and finish college for the short term. Once I finished college I am not sure what I'd do.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    For all the folks expressing how hard it is to live on as little as $10,000 a month, I get that certain areas are quite expensive. I just hope that you remember that most of the people in your expensive place to live do not make as much money as you do. I wonder how they make it if you are "barely able to survive".

The US Median income declined to about $26K per year in 2011. Sure, one person. So $52K per year for a two-earner family. Half of what is "just getting by" for some.

Just something to think about.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying they would pay off bills. That's not how it works. Your bills would get bigger. That's all.

No, we actually paid off all our bills except the mortgage. And I replaced my car, so we have mortgage and car payment (nothing fancy; I bought a Saturn Outlook when Saturn was selling off its inventory; the spouse drives a Chevy pickup). We stayed in our (modest, 3/2) house (moving is a hassle, yanno?). We've put money away for retirement, which we never were able to do before. We've traveled, tho not "the world" -- we've been to Philadelphia, Disneyworld, Colonial Williamsburg, with the kids, and took a trip together without them; we've bought presents for each other on birthdays and Christmas, which was nice because for so many years we couldn't do that. We've bought FURNITURE, which is just such an awesome thing to be able to do! We bought a new MATTRESS! It's wonderful! And like someone else said, the things that would have been stressful and a struggle, like putting tires on the car or paying medical bills (both spouse and I ended up having surgery for the first time last year, boy was that fun!) are less so now.

It's not "buy a Porsche and fly first class to Jamaica," but we do have both retirement savings and discretionary income -- we can plan for and make large purchases, like furniture and tires -- and that's very nice indeed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    For all the folks expressing how hard it is to live on as little as $10,000 a month, I get that certain areas are quite expensive. I just hope that you remember that most of the people in your expensive place to live do not make as much money as you do. I wonder how they make it if you are "barely able to survive".
    Well if they live in the same area, they have the same cost of living which usually means the income is about the same. We don't live in BlackHawk in the Tri-Valley area because we wouldn't be able to afford it. Heck even San Ramon is a stretch.
    The US Median income declined to about $26K per year in 2011. Sure, one person. So $52K per year for a two-earner family. Half of what is "just getting by" for some.

Okay so 52K a year, but if you lived in the mid western states, that's a lot compared to somewhere like the Bay Area in CA where that would put you in a medium-low to low income area.
    I've lived where I had a hard time getting by (I did door to door sales on straight commission for 12 years) and my wife and I understand the value of money. Luckily we don't look at material items as what defines us as people so we live a bit easier than some of our neighbors.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So, $10k = approx £6.2k = £74k pa - Oh how I wish I could earn something even close to that - it would be AMAZING! :happy:

* I'd pay off my mortgage quicker and get my ex's name removed from it, so it would be mine all mine.
    * I'd buy myself a Smart ForTwo, simply because I like them and I've wanted one for ages.
    * I'd build the extension on the back of my house so I'd have a nice big kitchen.
    * I'd max out my ISA allowance each year, and put more into my personal pension.
    * I'd go on a really nice holiday at least once a year, because I've not had a real holiday for about 5 years.
    * If I managed to save enough, I'd retire early and go enjoy my life! I don't wanna be hitting state pension age (which will currently be 68 for me) and still be working!

ETA: I've learned to live well within my means due to the lessons that life has thrown at me in the past. My current living expenses, including £450 mortgage, comes to around £950 a month. Another spare £5k on top of that? Yes please :laugh:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    SInce we currently live on less than half of that, we'd keep our current standard of living, and start banking it to build the house we've been wanting to build. Of course, we'd divert a little into a travel fund so we could take a cruise every summer or every other summer.

JM
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

I live in New England so not exactly a low cost of living area. I was making a little over 2k a month before I got laid off in August. Right now I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul until something falls in my lap. I take in about 1700 a month on unemployment, and every month its a shuffle the cards to pay the bills and not get my car repossessed, not lose my house etc. Working my *kitten* to find another job. 10k a month would go far in my household.