Protein powder and losing weight/toning up??

Options
2»

Replies

• anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    I drink it to help fill me up, build muscle and relieve muscle soreness. Protein powder is not just for bulking up.

I love adding a bit to my smoothies. :) Or using it for making little cakes or other baking.

You can even make your own protein bars!!! :)
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    The reason Atkins works, in my opinion, is protein keeps you very full so its difficult to eat too many calories.

The reason it works is because the protein takes longer to break down and your body absorbs and utilitizesit long after you have eaten. Carbs on the other hand are broken down quickly and absorbed quickly causing the sugar spikes and lows. Carbs can start the breakdown process in the mouth with an enzyme in the saliva.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The reason Atkins works, in my opinion, is protein keeps you very full so its difficult to eat too many calories.

The reason it works is because the protein takes longer to break down and your body absorbs and utilitizesit long after you have eaten. Carbs on the other hand are broken down quickly and absorbed quickly causing the sugar spikes and lows. Carbs can start the breakdown process in the mouth with an enzyme in the saliva.

I think you just said what I meant! i.e. you explained why it keeps you fuller! I always find with carbs I'm hungry again in an hour - because its broken down so quickly.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Yes. When the blood sugar spikes and drops, you feel a slump. It happens to me every afternoon between 2 and 3 P. So, I've been trying to eat more proteins with each meal and get a better ratio of carbs to proteins. Right now, I am aiming for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I'll have to evalute it and see how I feel in a couple of weeks.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In theory protein does take more energy to digest then simple carbs (but so do complex carbs). It is only a minor difference and probably not that big of a deal in the big picture.

As some very smart people on here have said, protein supplements are a great way to increase your protein intake. The biggest reason you want to do this (assuming you are on a calorie deficit) is to avoid losing muscle along with your fat.

If low carb works for you then that is great. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that carbs are the enemy, they're not.

Sugar however, IS the enemy. :happy: