Why the scale goes UP with a new workout program- MUST READ

Options

Replies

• MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm making a resolution here and now to toss the scale away for the next 25 days of 30 day shred. I decided to do it since I'm under 200 for the first time since both of my pregnancies and I wanted to get a good healthy boost. I went from 195 to 199.4 in 3 days. I dropped to 198 and then back up. I don't think I could stand to see the scale back to 200 so I'm hiding it so I can trust in my workouts and the eventual resolution of water retention and subsequent weight loss.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this today. Thank you
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this! I'm sooo sore and my thighs are so big my "big girl" jeans hardly fit and my calves are HUGE!!! I hope the swelling goes down in the next 2 weeks...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking MFP should "sticky-note" this one. this kind of information is crucial to prevent frustration and disappointment.

:happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am now back down to Fridays weight. I used to think that it was me eating too much cake while out on the ride, now I know that it is just water, and do not worry so much.

How the hell can you manage to eat cake while riding a bike? A cookie, I can see but cake? :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

I have a great mental picture for that one!
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you didn't say "muscle weighs more than fat"....a pound is a pound is a pound. The water retention really makes sense and I appreciate you sharing this article.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! that explains the weight gain i had in the first week of starting at the gym! It is now starting to come of
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, this just happened to me! I just started jogging, my thighs and sides are aching, and I went up 2lbs. Glad I caught this thread!
  • ctumbarello
    ctumbarello Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I knew this, but I get caught up in the scale even when I know there's a reason for a temporary gain. I have really stepped up my walking and my legs were killing me. Remembering the temporary gain is due to retained fluids helps me get over the 3 pound weight gain.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank God! I was so frustrated because I gained 4 lbs this week. I started the 30 Day Shred on Monday and Wednesday is when the scale jumped. Yay! It makes sense!
  • tdlsaint
    tdlsaint Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ty!
  • ctaylor502
    Options
    I needed to read this, although I know that this happens. I was getting disheartened, after seeing a weight gain of 5lbs in the first week and half, then a weight lose of 10lbs. My main concern is of the steady weight I have for the past week and a half. I have been keeping to my program, exercise and reducing my intake. Thought I was plateauing, I will watch out for the weight lose in the next week, started elliptical training recently.
  • kldiva70
    Options
    Im going thru this very thing right now, i saw this post for a reason Thank you!!!
    19238681.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you.

(I agree, MFP should have this as a sticky).
  • senloe
    senloe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I was freaking out when I weighed in this week and I gained weight. I'll take measurements and keep at it for another few weeks....
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Do the bump de bump
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I had read some things about how the scale could go up with increased and new exercise. I also had read something about water retention and increased strength training. However I needed a refresher course today. Lately I added 2 part-time active jobs and my activity levels increased dramatically. I worked 11 hours 2 days ago with 17,000 steps. I was so sore I hardely could sleep that night. Yes the scale went up. I am logging the increased activity very conservatively and making sure not to eat all of it back. I am also trying to get as much water as I can. I was not surprised or shocked with the scale going up. However I searched on the Community Boards to remind myself of what is happening and found this and another post. I think others will benefit down the line from this so I am posting. I am going to do some aquafit type exercise in the pool today before starting back to work tomorrow. I need some of that great stretching I can do in the pool and I do not need to be on my feet any longer today with the full force of gravity. But I want some real exercise besides standing and slow walking. Before adding these jobs I exercised 1 hour a day, 6 days a week. I was also trying to up my general activity level but had not gotten any where near this level. So consider this a long bump.