Courtesy (rant)

Options
13»

Replies

• majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen before, I was not as polite as you. I did not say sir, I just said there is a line, then everyone else piped in. The worked said I was the only person who had ever called out folks for doing that.

Some people think they are above being polite.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The clerk should have made him join the line imo and you never should have HAD to say anything. However, I probably would have called him out on it too when the clerk didn't do their job. :P

Having worked in retail, it's very difficult to be the person to say "You need to move to the back of the line". People can get very angry and in your face about things....it's really not my job to babysit and make sure people follow the "rules". Is it fair to the people who did and waited in line? Of course not, but what was the clerk supposed to do? Refuse to serve him until he got in line? That would have held everybody up even more.

I've worked in retail too. Often on register. It is the clerk's job to manage the line. I'd rather piss off one jerk who is NOT being courteous, than my entire line of customers who were there first and are being polite and following the rules.

It really is a clerk's job, as an employee of the store, to enforce store policy and provide good customer service. When I worked retail it WAS my job to assure people followed the "rules." Managing my line, coupon policy, making people pay for things and not steal, etc. However, that is just me. If you don't feel the need to step in, that is your choice. ::shrug::

Making sure people pay for things is different than "Line forms to the left" :laugh: Honestly, I think the clerk was stuck in a no-win situation and I can understand not feeling "brave" enough to tell the guy to step off. If you're extremely non-confrontational (which I am) those situations are your own personal hell. Could he have handled it differently? Sure, but I'm not going to condemn him as not doing his job, either.

I did my time in retail, too, and I never would have just let someone cut a line like that. I would have, without even giving it a thought said, "Oh, sorry sir, you must not have noticed the line. I'll be with you right after these folks here" and would have had no trouble pointing out the line. And I'm pretty non-confrontational. It wouldn't have occurred to me that he did it on purpose, so I wouldn't have even thought of it as confrontation.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    haha, "Biff". There was this guy I knew who's name was legit, "Biff", I'm like, "Huh?"
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    All it takes for evil to win is for good men (and women) to do nothing.

Next time, throat punch.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I probably would have reacted the same way you did, but I don't think it is the best way to behave.

Bad manners are not solved by bad manners.

The most polite thing to do would have been accept that people are jerks and go on about your day. :ohwell:

I agree. I wouldn't have said anything, time wasted and I hate it when people look, because I know I'm wasting their time and mine.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* Don't let it bother you. He may really have not noticed. He may have been in a hurry or was having a rough day. Who knows! But I doubt he was too bothered by your rant and will probably watch next time.

But, again, he may not have realized and just have been embarrassed. There was a time when I was standing in line with a friend and I went to use the washroom and came back. The man behind us started calling me out saying I should go to the back of the line and not cut in line. I turned and told him that I was with my friend. (I was. I also was not getting food.)

He told me I had no respect or courtesy. I looked him in the eye and told him I'd move to the back of the line if it was that big of a deal. As we went through the line and I didn't order food (I told him I was just with my friend), he apologized.

Point is, you never know exactly what a person is doing or what's going on. Don't worry about it or get too angry about it.
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same situation and bit my tongue while my blood pressure rose. When someone. else in line spoke up I admired their courage.I admire yours.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    So, if we say that you were wrong to do it, are you going to travel back in time and take it back?

That was kind of rude.

How so? It wasn't meant to be.
  • WONTED
    WONTED Posts: 5
    Options
    OMG CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girl_crying.gif?
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can't stand the "I'm so important Biffs of the world!"

I have also had this sort of situation. My mood sometimes determines

if I call them on their bad behavior. If I'm in a bad mood I don't.

Bad mood can = bad language, then we are both in the wrong.