SUP- stand up paddle boarding... Info needed.

Options
2»

Replies

• ncianci34
    Options
    I'm trying to resurect some SUP discussion, might start a group! Novice SUP enthusiast here...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    SUP is awesome. Went out this morning -- spectacular sunshine with just the right amount of chill in the air. It was wildlife central this morning! tiger sharks, a seal eating a bat ray, jellyfish, herons, seagulls, pelicans, and pure glassy water.

Nothing better than SUP in January (or February, or March . . . . )

Ahhhhhh.
  • neiljbrady
    neiljbrady Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm new to SUP. considering buying a board.
    Found a used Yolo yak. Hybrid SUP kayak. For $250. New they are about $600

Does anyone out there SUP?
    What info tips and suggestions can you share?

I'll be paddling mostly on lakes. Maybe a calm river. And hope to take it to the beach an or bay on calm waters.

I like the stability of recreational boards.
    The shorter boards are harder for me to stand on

Thought the cheaper Yolo yak would be a great starting point.

What can y'all share?
    I'm a paddle racer and recreational paddler. I rep for Creed SUP and have many boards and a lot of experience padding. First thing I need to know is weight and if you're going to paddle fresh or salt water, surf or flat. Do you have room to store a board 10-12 ft. long? Cheap boards are just that. They are heavy and do not last. The paddle is the most important. For a good board and GREAT paddle, expect to pay about $1500.00. ISUPs , or inflatables are even more. Great core exercise. My wife and I have a group that we paddle about 15 mi. a week in summer. I paddle more for competition puposes. I can help with selection, if you want. Craigslist has junk unless you know what to look for. WWW. Standupzone.com has a lot of info.
  • neiljbrady
    Options
    I love it! I sup a short board; 8'6, 28" wide and about 4" thick, that can also be surfed. I SUP primarily in a lagoon and sometimes the ocean. The shorter board is more "work" at first to stabilize, but you will get used to whatever you have pretty quickly. Also, my board starts to submerge with anyone over about 140 lbs. on it.

OK, so you bought it; Yolo does make a good board, but yikes, 60 lbs is heavy! I've never SUPed a hybrid kayak before.

Ya roof racks by Thule or similar are expensive. If you don't want to splurge right now, you might be able to hit up a surf shop for the cheapie rubber straps version; you will have to ask advice on whether it will work for that big fella.

For you folks having a hard time handling the board; put it up on your head -- find the center of balance and hold on with one hand; carry the paddle with the other. I have carried boards up to 10'6 this way, and see many people carrying longer ones.

You could also have holes drilled and plugs installed and thread cords through in order to slide the paddle in and use as a handle, but at 50+ lbs, I'd still put it on my head.

have fun!
  • neiljbrady
    Options
    I love it! I sup a short board; 8'6, 28" wide and about 4" thick, that can also be surfed. I SUP primarily in a lagoon and sometimes the ocean. The shorter board is more "work" at first to stabilize, but you will get used to whatever you have pretty quickly. Also, my board starts to submerge with anyone over about 140 lbs. on it.

OK, so you bought it; Yolo does make a good board, but yikes, 60 lbs is heavy! I've never SUPed a hybrid kayak before.

Ya roof racks by Thule or similar are expensive. If you don't want to splurge right now, you might be able to hit up a surf shop for the cheapie rubber straps version; you will have to ask advice on whether it will work for that big fella.

For you folks having a hard time handling the board; put it up on your head -- find the center of balance and hold on with one hand; carry the paddle with the other. I have carried boards up to 10'6 this way, and see many people carrying longer ones.

You could also have holes drilled and plugs installed and thread cords through in order to slide the paddle in and use as a handle, but at 50+ lbs, I'd still put it on my head.

have fun!
    I wouldn't put it on MY head. Neck injuries are sure to happen. My friends have had extreme shoulder injuries putting 20-25 lb. boards on roof racks, NOT 50 -60 lbs. Be very cautious. Always get help with that much weight.
  • neiljbrady
    Options
    I've been interested in SUP lately and a friend shared this site with me...http://distressedmullet.com/
    Also www.Standupzone.com
  • bookgirl_72
    Options
    I was so happy to see this post! SUP is something I've been considering getting into as I live 10 minutes from the water. After I saw your post, I checked out Craig list. Holy Schnieckies, they are expensive! I was not expecting that! There were some places offering free demos and pretty reasonable lessons though, so I think that might be a good place to start. Thanks for all of the information and enjoy your new SUP!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Look on Groupon for lessons or outings (a good company will send someone with you when its your first time out). Go to SUP stores and learn about the boards....then hit craigslist. I live in So. Cal. and find that a lot of people in the beginning of summer go out and buy a board and then 2 months later realize they aren't using it and sell it. I got the same board I was interested in at the factory store on craigslist for half the price in good condition (some minor scratches...but nothing that penetrated the glass).

Get a good adjustable carbon fiber paddle. I like adjustable because I can use it and so can my husband and kids if they want to go out on my board.

Oh and a good beginners tip: Paddle into the wind first so that its at your back coming back to the beach when you are tired.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

have fun!
    I wouldn't put it on MY head. Neck injuries are sure to happen. My friends have had extreme shoulder injuries putting 20-25 lb. boards on roof racks, NOT 50 -60 lbs. Be very cautious. Always get help with that much weight.

People across the globe have been carrying heavier loads than that on their heads for centuries. I used to do day trips x-country skiing across frozen lakes with snowshoes and a 60# pack on my back, then snowshoe up Bear Mtn. Hella lot more uncomfortable than the same weight on your head. Just gotta be balanced :)

The shape might be unwieldy though, but the weight alone is easier on the head than anywhere else on the body.