When did you decide to start losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My mom got really sick - she was in the hospital for a month, in and out of the ICU, finally got out and was diagnosed with breast cancer. I decided that I wanted to take control of my life, and be as strong and healthy as I could possibly be while I was still young enough to enjoy it. And know that if I ever do get sick like that, I'll be in the best shape of my life to fight it.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    When I decided that I was sick and tired of having to use an inhaler (my asthma was brought upon by my weight gain) every night, and worried about my heart.
  • xsaribarix
    xsaribarix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was when I had to have my mom or boyfriend help me with my shoes and socks because I couldn't bend over that far. I still have to sit on a chair if no one's around. I've only lost two lbs. from my highest weight before joining MFP in April the day before my 30th birthday, when I've said: this is it: I've had enough! When you need special implements to clean up in the shower and you need to do friggin' acrobatics just to wipe your @ss every day - when it gets to THAT point, ya it's time to lose weight lol
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I gained 20 lbs one semester in college after losing 40 lbs previously. I have been trying to lose ever since. However, with nursing school then graduate school, the lbs packed on and I gained a total of 60 lbs in 5 years despite working out and "dieting." However, last year prior to graduating my Masters, I really had enough. I didn't want to graduate looking the way I did. I cut my hours as a RN while I finished my Master degree, and I spent the extra time in the gym. Less stress=weight loss. Now I have lost nearly 45 lbs, and 15 to go...I've learned a lot about eating and exercise plans since last year too.. Loving my new lifestyle
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    March, 2011. I had just had enough, and it was time for a change.

Mine was much the same reason. Just was December 2011 when the scale read 344... I knew starting during the holidays would be impossible so I began January 2.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It was just time. I am 45 years old and have fought my weight all my life. I needed to make a lifestyle change not another diet. I signed up for a gym membership in Nov 11, but didn't really use it untill March of 2012. The gym was supppose to be my stress relieif from school and the teenage drama at home.....but it motovated me to change my life! For Good!! I love working out now and I make much better choices about my food as well. Thank God that I have been finially moved to change my life for good!
    Best of luck to you!
    Blessings!! <><
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Heart attack.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    April 25, 2011...I was sitting at my desk doing my work and I was halfway through a can of Pepsi when I had that epiphany moment. I decided at that point that I was NEVER going to live that way again. A little over a year later, well, see my ticker. :smile:

That is absolutely fabulous.. sometimes it is just a decision that happens in your day.. bang.. hits you, you just decide I want to change.. Great Job!
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I decided to get in shape a year ago when my mother ended up being hospitalised for fluid aroud her lungs that was caused by a scarred liver due to being over weight. I see what she has to go through every month when she has to go back and get the fluid drained so she can breathe. I don't want to go through that. After spending hundreds of dollars on diffrent weight loss programs/ products i found MFP and decided to give it a try. Since starting this 2 weeks ago i have worked out every day and lost 1.5 lbs it would have taken me a month to lose that on other programs/products. I even feel healthier! :happy:

That's amazing, keep it up!
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    November 2011 I went to Cali to visit my brother, we went to Catalina Island to go zip lining and the walk to the zip line was like a mile long and up and own hills and all that great stuff I was so out of shape and deff lost the race with my brother... that I just decided that it was time to take back my life and live it the way I know I should.

I want to do that so bad!!!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    When my bingeing was out of control, due to my also out of control sugar addiction, which was especially concerning due to having PCOS. This was also coupled with the fact that I was always exhausted, felt fat, unattractive and generally unhappy with myself. My once fit, 110 pound, happy frame was a thing of the past.

I had a million 'breaking points', but I would often fall off the wagon after a few weeks, and just end up gaining the weight back again.

However the literal turning point was on Valentines day this year. I had lost about 5 pounds before then, but I was struggling to keep it off due to sporadic binges. On V day I had a particularly large binge, due to the fact that I was lonely, and figured "**** it, I'm gonna eat sugar because I'm single". This binge involved going out of my way to the supermarket, buying a bunch of sugary treats using my hard earned money, and secretly stuffing my face in the car.

It was after that moment of shame and anguish that I decided to put my foot down, and change myself to what I once was.

I rejoined MFP, after having used it about 2 years ago, and realised on days that I was 'dieting' I was way under eating, thus leading to binges. Also, I was restricting certain food types, so I would often feel extremely deprived. Once I started keeping the mfp food journal, everything stuck :)

And here I am, 3 months later, 111.3 pounds, and I'm fit, happy, energetic, and I fit into all of my old clothes again. And that sugar addiction I struggled with? An absolute thing of the past :)
  • butterflylover527
    Options
    I gained 20 lbs one semester in college after losing 40 lbs previously. I have been trying to lose ever since. However, with nursing school then graduate school, the lbs packed on and I gained a total of 60 lbs in 5 years despite working out and "dieting." However, last year prior to graduating my Masters, I really had enough. I didn't want to graduate looking the way I did. I cut my hours as a RN while I finished my Master degree, and I spent the extra time in the gym. Less stress=weight loss. Now I have lost nearly 45 lbs, and 15 to go...I've learned a lot about eating and exercise plans since last year too.. Loving my new lifestyle

Im starting college soon, hoping I can stay on track! Good job!
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    A trip to the doctor in late August 2010 did it with me. I had a cholestrol test come back, and I was told by the secretary (my doctor's husband, my doc's a woman) that it was "up a bit". That was an understatement, of course, but it wasn't the test that shocked me at my appointment. It was how much I weighed on the scales that gave me the fright of my life - an electric scales, and the results read in at 287.4 pounds!!!! That was what scared me. I knew I needed to lose some weight, so the next day I got an electric scales of my own and started dieting. I went up a pound first, and then from September 2010 to April of this year (2012) I lost 40 pounds - all on my own, no help from a dietician. Since then, I've joined MFP, lost another 5 as of this moment, and I'm still going!!! :wink:
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    we were discussing weight-loss, dieting, exercise with regards to patient care and discussion in school..

i felt i could NEVER tell some one to eat better, diet and exercise if I was fat and out of shape myself. I dont fancy myself a hypocrite. I want to set an example for my patients.. so I did. And now I reached my goals and keep pushing to new heights I didnt know existed. I finally am up to the stage of surpassing my goals!
  • mfchiumento
    mfchiumento Posts: 32
    Options
    This April when I put on a pair of my "fat" pants and they were a litte tight, as well as seeing the number steadily getting higher.
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    November 2011 I went to Cali to visit my brother, we went to Catalina Island to go zip lining and the walk to the zip line was like a mile long and up and own hills and all that great stuff I was so out of shape and deff lost the race with my brother... that I just decided that it was time to take back my life and live it the way I know I should.

I want to do that so bad!!!

It was amazinggggggggg Im going again for my 1 year of my new me =) this time ill win that race lol
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago... I had a friend recommend this site as she knew others had used MFP. I downloaded on my phone a few days before I started using the site. 2 weeks ago, I decided to create a log in and start tracking. I may not have been perfect everyday, but I am consciously consuming better food choices.

I also lost my dad last December and since then in my mind have been telling myself that I want to be healthier. I have been excising some over the past 5 to 6 years but needed to do more. I have gained about 5 to 10 pounds each year the last few years. Last year at my annual dr. visit we discussed that I needed to keep an eye on my weight. She wasn't too concerned but did not want me to gain any more. So I am to go to my annual appointment in a couple months and hope to show that I have not gained but at least lost a few from last year.

One other factor, my jeans. I wore out my jeans and I knew it had to be from extra weight! What an awful feeling that is.

Finally, I looked at myself in the mirror an said "is that a double chin starting?' I knew then I HAD to make a change.

Add all this up, and it is time to make a change in my life. I know I can make the right changes and I have a very supportive fiance.. encouraging, never has called me fat or anything of the sort, loves a woman with curves, which loosing weight is not going to make them go away, it will make them look better, and he is also an avid cyclist. It helps to have a healthy spouse, it is encouraging to be around.

Thank you to all for sharing your stories!
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had known I needed to drop the pounds since before my husband and I got married a year ago. But what really the tipping point was at orientation for nursing school this past month. During orientation my class recieved books and our scrubs. I was the last student to get my scrubs and one of the administrators asked me what size scrubs I needed. When I had to tell him I need a XL top and a 2XL pant in front of the entire class! I was mortified!!!! I went home and cried! Starting nursing school should be exciting since I'm finally working on my dream of becoming a nurse. That one incident just pushed me over the edge to get back into shape. I've given myself a personal goal of getting down to 150 pounds in a year. It will be about 100 lbs lost in 12 months, but it will be worth it just so I'm not humiliated any longer. Plus, I want to wear Daisy Duke shorts next summer for my hubby (He used to have a huge crush on Daisy Duke). :)
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time I went clothes shopping for the upcoming summer. I was disgusted with how I looked and decided that I was going to change my life from that point on. Funny how one little moment in your life can lead to such a complete change in everything you do!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My "fat jeans" (which I had just bought and were up a size already) were getting dangerously tight. And I was reallllly near a weight I told myself I would never be again. The combination of the two told me I either a) had to buy new jeans (again) or b) lose weight. I went with option b and I'm so glad I did!