bump
  • LisaR517
    LisaR517 Posts: 80
    Options
    Bump
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    thank you Razique:flowerforyou: I've hit that dreaded plateau like everyone and upped calories but still not seeing the results.(well scale-wise. Not complaining about other improvements:)) May up more and will look into this further. In the meanwhile, I too would love to hear from other experiences:)
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. great post. It more or less explains my weight loss history before and since joining this site.

In brief, I have gone from very active 5 years ago (armed forces) to very sedentary.

such a major change is bound to have consequences and whilst I was overweight whilst in the armed forces (towards the top end of a healthy BMI), when I left and took a completely sedentary desk bound job I gained weight quite rapidly.
    I knew that this would likely be the case and joined a gym to try to up my calorie burn, but have really struggled to regain anything like my former activity level and the weight slowly crept up.

Last january I reached my heaviest ever of 206lbs and really decided to do something about it. I took up tennis, reduced my calorie intake and dropped 30lbs by October. How could I not think that I was doing it correctly with a drop like that? However, the tennis season ended and by christmas I had put 15lbs back on.

In January of this year my daughter introduced me to MFP (mighty fine people?) and it has completely changed how I do things. At first, I just returned to doing what had been successful the previous year, but this time actually logging my net calories. I was quite staggered to see that on days I was playing tennis, which was most days, I was netting less than 800 calories per day. My diary is open, go look at February!

Over the past few months, reading posts like this, I have increased my knowledge to a point that I know exactly what to do in order to lose weight and have never felt so in control. Since late Feb, I ate at maintenance for 2 months and lost nothing (obviously!) to establish exactly what my BMR and TDEE were. The fitbit was really useful in helping me to deduce these.
    During this time, I also started going to circuit training to do some strength training along with the cardio that tennis provides.

The difference has ben staggering. Whilst not losing weight, (in fact gaining 7lbs) I have dropped nearly 4% in body fat, am fitting into jeans that I bought at my lightest (20lbs below what I am now) and they are loose. I can see muscle definition begining to appear and am beating personal bests in my activity all of the time.

I have now reduced my calories by about 1500 per week, in order to start a controlled reduction in my weight and am seeing exactly that on the scale.

I got this! I know what to do to achieve the results that I want and it is due to posts such as this that I know what to do.

Thanks again

Ian
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ^^^I knew a bit of your story before but you're a definite success story Ian! Thanks for sharing:smile:

so...eat at maintenance to stabilize the metabolism....then a 10% - 20% cut?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Great experience Lan - you are doing great.
    @ yogi, see after two weeks of maintenance how the weight goes, then 10% during a couple of weeks, 20% MAX after those first weeks in deficit
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kelleymonty
    kelleymonty Posts: 34
    Options
    bump
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    thank you Razique:flowerforyou: I've hit that dreaded plateau like everyone and upped calories but still not seeing the results.(well scale-wise. Not complaining about other improvements:)) May up more and will look into this further. In the meanwhile, I too would love to hear from other experiences:)

There is one thing you would try, during 2 or 3 days, eat 2 or 2,5 times more :)
    but don't worry, try out the protocol and let me know how it goes ;)
    Being consistent (having roughly the same amount) with the TDEE greatly helps
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump for when it happens to me lol. Thanks for taking the time to post!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Really great insight, every MFP member should read this post