Can't you see I'm running???

Options
13»

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    The kind of person I am, I would have helped him. I'm not that into myself, obviously a little or I wouldn't be at the gym working out, but seriously I like helping people if they take the time to come and ask. :huh: could have meant a lot to him and only at the expense of your heart rate dropping a little :ohwell:
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't like to talk to anyone at all when I work out or even walking around my block. When I see people come by or near me while working out I turned the volume up really loud on my music so they can actually hear my music so if they try to talk to me they should know I am not interested in talking. It's called "Leave me ALONE!!! I am working out!" lol. I am not a nice person when I work out. The only time I actually talk to someone while working out is if I have a fitness trainer. I don't workout with no body.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, if you would have found him to be attractive would you have given the same response?

In all honesty: yes. If he was good looking, I still would have been shocked by the lack of courtesy in his timing.

For the record, I did not try to burn him. I listened to him for the length of my rest interval (ok, that's only about 1.5minutes...but again, I was training), smiled and told him I was doing intervals, but the guy was on a role with "his lack of motivation story". I tried to be polite, but when my watch biped giving me the 10sec warning for next interval, then I did have to interrupt him to tell him again I was in the middle of intervals and had to get back to it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    "Is common sense just not that common anymore??? "

Common sense went out the door about 10 years ago. As a 55 year old teacher, I have seen it all. As the years have gone by, common sense has gone bye-bye.

We should throw it a bon voyage party.
    common_sense_god_damn_super_power12.jpg
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The kind of person I am, I would have helped him. I'm not that into myself, obviously a little or I wouldn't be at the gym working out, but seriously I like helping people if they take the time to come and ask. :huh: could have meant a lot to him and only at the expense of your heart rate dropping a little :ohwell:

I totally agree with you!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I read all your post and I was trying to look at it from the guy's point of view as some of you suggested and maybe, just maybe, he did just think I was in the cooldown portion of my workout and did not mean to interrupt.

Update:
    Today as I as warming up (5min) on the treadmill just before my strength workout with my trainer, I saw him and he came to the treadmill next to me (it was the only one available). I smiled and asked if he still wanted to know about my runs, and if so, I'd be happy to share and take the time now since I was not in the middle of a workout and just warming up. He looked SO happy and started asking questions about speed, inclines and intervals I use and he then proceeded to test the theory and I proceeded to weights.
    So yes, I felt that I should have been more courteous yesterday and just explained the fact that it was not the time in a more appropriate way.

Well.....at least that's what I felt until he came to explain to me how his run went, as I was on my back on a flat bench with 35lbs in each hand, lifting while being spotted by my trainer, in the middle of a set. This time, it's my trainer that told him "Dude, not the best time, REALLY not the best time".

Conclusion on this entire story: He's not a bad guy, he just does not have a clue when it comes to timing.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I read all your post and I was trying to look at it from the guy's point of view as some of you suggested and maybe, just maybe, he did just think I was in the cooldown portion of my workout and did not mean to interrupt.

Update:
    Today as I as warming up (5min) on the treadmill just before my strength workout with my trainer, I saw him and he came to the treadmill next to me (it was the only one available). I smiled and asked if he still wanted to know about my runs, and if so, I'd be happy to share and take the time now since I was not in the middle of a workout and just warming up. He looked SO happy and started asking questions about speed, inclines and intervals I use and he then proceeded to test the theory and I proceeded to weights.
    So yes, I felt that I should have been more courteous yesterday and just explained the fact that it was not the time in a more appropriate way.

Well.....at least that's what I felt until he came to explain to me how his run went, as I was on my back on a flat bench with 35lbs in each hand, lifting while being spotted by my trainer, in the middle of a set. This time, it's my trainer that told him "Dude, not the best time, REALLY not the best time".

Conclusion on this entire story: He's not a bad guy, he just does not have a clue when it comes to timing.

Its cool that you decided to give him another chance and talked to him. But it sounds like this guy is a lil out there and I think it might only get worse from here. I have a feeling some day you are going to have to be like " Please dont talk to me when you see me" Forget about the guy eariler who was all "oohhhh I think its sad that you cant take 10 minutes out of your workout to help him out" Youre not there to be a personal trainer, they have those there for hire if he so deisres.
  • emmlovesyewx3
    Options
    lol this made me giggle. i hate when i'm on the treadmill and someone just has to get on the one next to mine & make it awkward.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is common sense just not that common anymore???

not for this guy apparently. some people are oblivious. good for you for just resuming your workout :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It is lovely and gracious of you to have done what you did. But to the people who think she was wrong the first time: If you reward bad behavior (in this case rudeness and disrespect for another's space), the person will never learn.

Kind of like if your kid throws a temper tantrum in the store because he wants a toy and you buy him that toy, the next time you're in a store and he wants a toy, he will throw another temper tantrum.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    HA HA HA you must go to the gym i go, cuz it happens alot there too!! I just say ' 2 MINS PLEASE!!!!' lol but when ive finished just go and dont look back. lol.x
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's funny. Yea, he wasn't too bright. If he were he would have been apologetic and not offended. I get irked when someone has the whole gym to walk through but still needs to walk in front of my treadmill like a peacock. I think "really? you couldn't walk the normal path?". Like where the mirrors are so you can look at yourself you pretentious juicer?

Eh, call it treadmill rage. hahaha I just like to get in my zone and I am not there to check out the beefcakes. Although they do look good in passing, I really can't be bothered while getting my fat burn mojo going. Is it just me?

Lol, it could be. :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I once interrupted a guy lifting weights. Asked him to help me adjust the spinning bike as I couldn't turn the thing. He leapt to his feet to assist this damsel in distress and was not pissed off :laugh:
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is strange, why is he asking a female tips about working out? Women exercise a little different than men do, I would ask a female about her workout in conversation to be nice, but at the gym I go to no one interupts people in the middle of a set, or when they are on cardio... I would never bother a female on a treadmill to ask her a question... plenty of guys to get advise from.... where you the only two people there? that might be a little different.

I agree- I wouldn't just walk up to a guy (especially one with headphones in) to ask him about his running or his workout- men & women work out completely different. I do see that the question was about boredom while running- but clearly you are listening to something or you wouldn't have the headphones in.

The guy sounds a little desperate for some attention and will probably continue to bother you at the gym. Someone really needs to teach him gym etiquette- perhaps your trainer could do that (if your trainer is a gym employee).