Does anyone have easy or simple Smoothies tips?

Options
BSmith0926
BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
I just got a new blender for Mother's day and I am in need of some fast and easy smoothie ideas. Thank!

Replies

• imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Orange Julius' and came up with a post-workout protein shake to help with that craving. 1 cup 2% milk; 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder; 1 grapefruit (remove the skin and put the pulp with juice in); 1 tsp vanilla; 1 Tbsp sugar (it's ~45 calories); a couple of cubes of ice and blend! It's about 390 calories / 6.3g fat / 49g carbs / 33g protein and is freaking delicious! You can cut some of the calories with 1% or fat free milk and by using an artificial sweetner.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Tips: you will need some kind of liquid, always. Water is easy/cheap/calorie free. Most fruits go fairly well with each other, so try combinations of your favorites. Frozen fruit is a good option if you are not always home to eat fresh stuff before it spoils.

Recipes:

1 cup milk of your choice (soy, almond, skim, whatever)
    1/3 cup blackberries
    1/3 cup blueberries
    1 kiwi

1 cup milk of choice
    1/3 cup strawberries
    1/3 cup blueberries
    1 mango

1 cup water
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/2 cup peaches
    1/3 cup raspberries
  • BSmith0926
    Options
    Thanks! everyone! It gave me some new ideas to try :)
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    My morning smoothie:

6-10 spinach leaves
    lemon slice (with skin)
    banana
    orange or pineapple
    1/2 cup plain almond milk
    1 cup of very cold water
    1/2 cup of ice
    1 packet of stevia

Yes, this is a green drink but it is very refreshing!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My morning smoothie:

8 oz Light Vanilla Soy Milk
    1/4 cup Egg Substitute
    1/2 banana
    1/2 frozen banana
    2 tbsp ground flax seed
    1 tbsp chunky Peanut Butter

Lately I've been adding a tbsp of Chia Seeds and 1 tbsp of powdered Peanut butter too, to add more protein

Keeps me full for 3-4 hours :)
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    if you dont want to use milk or want a more refreshing smoothie ive mixed cranberry juice, v8 splash any juice i have in my fridge i cup of yogurt ur favorite flavor i find the more flavor you use the better it taste you wont have to add any sugar and a cup of mix fruit i use frozen or fresh whatever i have and a few ice cubes blend and its very refreshing
  • paizlee
    paizlee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been making Green Smoothies, that are so nummy, you cant taste the spinach at all, I promise:)

4 cups baby spinach leafs
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup tidbits pineapple
    1 cup ice
    1/2 cup cold water

I drink it with a straw and it keeps me full for at least 3 hrs.
  • louistrain
    louistrain Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My all-time best smoothie tip:

Get an ice cube tray and fill it with yogurt and freeze it in advance of making any smoothies. That way, you always know how much yougurt you're using once you (easily) find the volume of the cubes. More importantly, though, it means the smoothie will be cold and you won't need to dilute the flavour with ice, which is flavourless.

Smoothies are all about the quality of the ingredients. It's obvious that the fruit should be as fresh as possible but if you can find a low-cal, low-fat yogurt brand you like, you're golden.
  • Barbqn
    Barbqn Posts: 10
    Options
    Keep frozen fruit in the house so you don't have to add ice. It makes the smoothie watered down. Strawberries and blueberries... There are all kinds in the freezer section. tip: if using frozen strawberries add one at a time while blending they are tougher to puree.
    We peel our bananas when they start to turn brown and freeze those too.. My girls like the frozen fruit blended with juice. I like light soy milk. It's like a healthy milk shake.
    Play with different combinations to find your favorite.
    You can add protien powder or vitamin drink mix.
    Happy blending!! :drinker:
  • Barbqn
    Barbqn Posts: 10
    Options
    I like the frozen yogurt cube tip! :happy:
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    A pinch of xantham gum will give all of your smoothies a 'frosty' like texture. You wont even need ice cream or froyo. Just some kind of low fat milk (i use almond), some ice, and fruit/coffee/cocoa powder/ green tea powder/nut butter ect.

ps xantham gum may seem expensive but 1/4tsp works for a large smoothie so a little goes a long way
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    b
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have been making Green Smoothies, that are so nummy, you cant taste the spinach at all, I promise:)

4 cups baby spinach leafs
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup tidbits pineapple
    1 cup ice
    1/2 cup cold water

I drink it with a straw and it keeps me full for at least 3 hrs.

Sounds good!
  • ahink0417
    ahink0417 Posts: 4
    Options
    NO BANANAS !!!!! BANANAS CAUSE BODY FAT !!!!!!!

PEACHES
    STRAWBERRYS AND BLUEBERRIES MAKE THE BEST SMOOTHIE!
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like :

250 ml almond milk (or soy or normal if you like)
    1 tblsp sesame paste (tahini)
    1 tblsp honey
    1 tblsp cocoa powder
    1/2 frozen banana (or a whole one)

Tastes awesome - best double thick chocolate shake ever ..
  • ERINLEE719
    ERINLEE719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the green smoothie: spinach, banana, peanut butter almond milk greek yogurt.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth you can also do the light chocolate soy milk with 1/2 package of 100 calorie oreos or chips ahoy (for about 50 calories) and a spoonful of sugar free instant jello pudding mix (try different flavors such as butterscotch, chocolate, cheesecake, etc.,) and your end result will often taste just like a DQ blizzard.

I also do raw almonds and/or peanut butter with my light chocolate soy milk.

I buy the small Dannon light and fit 4 oz yogurt cups (about 60 calories) and mix various types of fresh and/or frozen fruit with it (mango, strawberry, banana, peach, blueberries, etc.,) You can also use the Trop 50 orange juice for some flavor.

Bottom line - experiment until you find some you like. The possibilities are endless.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • BSmith0926
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! I have so many no ideas to try!! never would of thought of freezing yogart!
  • projectflaca
    projectflaca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2 cups of unsweetened, low fat almond milk with a cup of blueberries. Sweeten with Splenda.