How come no one ever thinks they're the BAD one?

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
How come no one ever thinks they're one of the bad ones?

Everyone ELSE is always "lazy" or "stupid" or "selfish" or "mean" or "wrong" or "hurtful" or whatever else. So, tell me...why aren't YOU ever the one who effed up? Or continuously effs up?

"Most people" claim that "most people" are ___insert negative adjective here___ and assume a position of superiority. I've never heard someone say, "Hey, my boyfriend and I broke up. Why? Because I'm a lazy, immature dirtbag who doesn't give a *kitten* about other people. Also, I'm a big-time moron. We're talking SUPER dumb."

I'm willing to bet that most people who think they're in the right, be it in personal or professional matters, are as much a part of the problem as, or more than, the person they're vilifying when they retell the story to their pitchfork and torch-weilding bandwagoneer friends.

I've certainly grown a lot in the last decade (I'm 27...so that sort of makes sense) but there have been plenty of times where I was the jack@ss in the equation. I'm sure there will be times like that in the future, even.

So...tell me, MFPals...when were YOU the bad guy?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    Options
    I know. It's probably too early for this *kitten*. lol I'm just procrastinating getting in the shower. ;p
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I stuff up all the time, and I am a scarcastic cow. I know this. People can still be horrid though.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm regularly wrong, and lazy. It takes all my will power to just get out of bed in the morning. Workouts are something I love, but I have to talk myself into them every day.

And I'm the first to admit it.

Maybe you need to surround yourself with some new people!!! My MFP Pals are freakin' awesome!
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I actually turn to myself to analyze myself quite a bit. I've lost a few great friends whom I feel aren't really great people and end up not caring or saying extremely hurtful things in the end that tears a friendship up, but you can only lose so many great friends until you ask yourself what you're doing wrong. I hold people to too high of a standard, and I am WAY WAY WAY too emotional - I know this. I need to work on these things. I just *wish* people were as thoughtful, kind, and respectful as I try to be - but the world is a different place. When it comes to me, I need to accept this and adapt - but the change is very hard. The smallest thing can set me off. One person can throw their hands up in the air at me because they are in a funk and someone else ticked them off (happened last Thursday) and it literally makes me upset for 5 hours! Geez....I need to let these things go!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I'm surrounded by awesome people! Just commenting on all the random stuff I see in the threads here and on random friends-of-friends profiles on facebook. I, personally, am really lucky to know mostly stellar human beings. :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    1. Denial 2. Hypocrisy

If someone is an a-hole to me, that's because people are rude, selfish *kitten*. If I'm an a-hole to someone, it's because that person was being a rude, selfish *kitten* and that is a freaking tragedy.

I was raised Baptist, though, so I learned at a very young age that pretty much everything is my fault. :wink:

Seriously, though, my marriage has had a lot of problems, because I'm a crazy person and my husband is an a-hole. I think, though, that we want to be the good ones. You don't want to think you're a bad person. That would totally suck.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    LOL you're so right, Bee. Denial and hypocrisy pretty much sum it up. ;p

Also, I wonder if the stupid ones are too stupid to know they're the stupid ones?

...gasps...

...brings hand to mouth...

...am I too stupid to know I'm stupid?

DUNNING-KRUGER! NOoooOOoOooooOOOooooooo!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I might verbalize my complaints about others more, but I'm a lot more critical of myself than anyone else. :ohwell:
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I read an article about this on Cracked. There's science behind this, man.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-than-you-think_p2.html
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I read an article about this on Cracked. There's science behind this, man.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19468_5-logical-fallacies-that-make-you-wrong-more-than-you-think_p2.html

I can't ever read anything on Cracked! Why is this?
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always anxious or moody, and I rarely smile. I'm also terrible at sticking to my committments and am a professional procrastinat....or.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm proud that I'm as stubborn as they come, jaded and an *kitten*. The sarcastic bit of me, I'm not so proud of, it's just too easy and petty to be proud of.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have been wrong before...1981 I think it was. :smile:
  • SnookiBaby92
    Options
    Im screwed up, moody and very arguementative - il argue black is white :) x
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Lol I think that. There's a difference between admitting that you're wrong (or being the 'bad guy' in a certain situation), and constantly bringing yourself down, always blaming yourself. It takes quite a toll on you.
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    I can be a ***** who just says it like it is at times. I've upset a few people thru the years.

But I HATE to admit that I'm wrong. Even when I'm wrong, I'm right.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    1. Denial 2. Hypocrisy

If someone is an a-hole to me, that's because people are rude, selfish *kitten*. If I'm an a-hole to someone, it's because that person was being a rude, selfish *kitten* and that is a freaking tragedy.

I was raised Baptist, though, so I learned at a very young age that pretty much everything is my fault. :wink:

Seriously, though, my marriage has had a lot of problems, because I'm a crazy person and my husband is an a-hole. I think, though, that we want to be the good ones. You don't want to think you're a bad person. That would totally suck.

Hahaha try being raised Catholic, the guilt is instilled in you at birth!

But really, I'm pretty good at admitting when I'm wrong like in a relationship fight or something like that. Of course, I haven't always been that way, but that's just what comes with getting older. The one thing I will say is I RARELY engage in an argument unless I'm totally sure I'm right about something, so the times that I've actually been wrong it's more been because I did something stupid (pro-tip: if you go through your significant other's phone, you're wrong. You're just always wrong. Don't do it. Lesson learned.) Being able to admit "I did something stupid, I messed up, my fault." definitely helps to resolve a fight MUCH faster than trying to justify your bad actions. Swallowing your pride sucks, but it's totally worth it in the end :)
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do stupid *kitten* all the time, it's just admitting it is the problem...... :laugh:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    if anyone can ever say "I did NOTHING wrong" with a straight face at the end of a relationship, they deserve an award, because there is almost NO way a break up/split/divorce is 100% any one person's fault. It's just as much about the reaction as it is the action. This is not to say one person can't be more to blame, but certainly cannot be the only to blame. I've certainly had my fairshare of screw-ups and I'm sure there will be plenty more to come.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I would gladly admit to being wrong if it ever happens