What do YOU do when you're sore?

Options
We got into a debate at work the other day about what to do when you're muscles are sore.

There is the thought that you need to take a break from working those muscles and then there's the thought that you need to work through it, albeit at a lower intensity...which is what I have been doing. I also increase stretching or Yoga and try to drink more water. This has worked fine for me, but I keeep hearing I need to rest the muscles.

What are your thoughts? I am especially curious to hear from personal trainers.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• halkowich28
    Options
    I keep going, depending on how I'm sore. If I've hurt myself, like pulled a muscle or injured my knee then I take a day or two off but if it's just sore from a workout I push through. I'm seeing a physiotherapist at the moment for my quad that I injured years ago, she's having me do exercises every day and she wants me to feel sore because that means I am repairing the muscles. When you work out your are essentially tearing the muscles which is why you are sore, so when they fix themselves that's when you build muscle tone, if you keep working them they will get more toned.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    when i work-out, i am naturally a bit sore the following day. i choose that day to rest, not from soreness, but to allow my muscles to repair & heal. by the day after, i am not sore anymore, and i work-out again. if i overdo and i'm super sore, i will skip for a couple of days to rest. personally i see no point in "pushing through" pain - it could cause injury, and why would i want to hurt myself?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Seriously, supplement with plenty of magnesium and soreness won't be an issue. It's one of the best and cheapest supplements for athletes

I take it with food a few hours before bed. Do not take on an empty stomach and do not over supplement as too much especially on an empty stomach will cause diarrhea. You can also take magnesium transdermal via epsom salt bath or with magnesium "oil" (no effect on the stomach if taken transdermal)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    light exercise relieves pain, and promotes healing by increasing circulation in the muscles. People that wait until they aren't sore to resume activity every time are just going to get sore every time...
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    i generally workout most days (aim for 6 days a week)
    and i try and alternate muscle Groups on different days to give them a rest .

but my legs cop it most days sore or not, as i like to run atleast a half hour a day
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Stretching and hydration go a long way toward preventing soreness.

When I have some soreness, I find that a much lighter intensity workout plus some extra water for a day or two makes the soreness go away and stay away. If I take a complete break, the pain lingers longer and next time I do a workout at the same intensity I get the same pain.

Basically, I drink lots of extra water to flush the lactic acid out of my muscles, and most the muscles as much as I can to keep the water circulating. The workouts I do with the muscles that hurt are very low-resistance and focus on just contracting the muscles and warming them up enough (15 minutes or so) to support a good stretch. Then I expend my energies working other muscles for the remainder of my workout. So if my legs are store, I do a little core work and some lifting once I've done a light leg workout and stretch, for example.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I eat more
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Stretching and hydration go a long way toward preventing soreness.

When I have some soreness, I find that a much lighter intensity workout plus some extra water for a day or two makes the soreness go away and stay away. If I take a complete break, the pain lingers longer and next time I do a workout at the same intensity I get the same pain.

Basically, I drink lots of extra water to flush the lactic acid out of my muscles, and most the muscles as much as I can to keep the water circulating. The workouts I do with the muscles that hurt are very low-resistance and focus on just contracting the muscles and warming them up enough (15 minutes or so) to support a good stretch. Then I expend my energies working other muscles for the remainder of my workout. So if my legs are store, I do a little core work and some lifting once I've done a light leg workout and stretch, for example.

Beta alanine is good for lactic acid buildup
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question yesterday as I was sore from hiking up a mountain the previous day. I took yesterday as a rest day but today my calves were still sore (to the point it shocked me when I stood up out of bed). I still went for my run, if I found it hard, I was just going to walk it out and resume running tomorrow. I actually ended up having my best run so far!!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I always find that when my body is uber sore I workout the next day and usually within a couple minutes the pain goes away. I also use arnica montana and it helps incredibly.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options

This. Drink orange juice or citric anything and work your muscles a little, it will solve your issue.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of sore.

Burn from yesterday's workout, but not overall fatigue - work through it
    Sore muscles and overall fatigue - I get a rest day in
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If it's not PAIN sore, I enjoy the heck out of it because it means I'm doing a good job.

If it gets to be truly uncomfortable, I like "Sombra Warm" gel. It's an icy-hot sort of thing with menthol and capsaicin and has never failed to make my muscles feel better.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i usually walk around all day telling everyone how sore i am , lol
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Wow, awesome feedback. Thanks all!
  • marjen002
    Options
    Seriously, supplement with plenty of magnesium and soreness won't be an issue. It's one of the best and cheapest supplements for athletes

I take it with food a few hours before bed. Do not take on an empty stomach and do not over supplement as too much especially on an empty stomach will cause diarrhea. You can also take magnesium transdermal via epsom salt bath or with magnesium "oil" (no effect on the stomach if taken transdermal)

Will definitely have to try this. Thanks!
  • marjen002
    Options

This. Drink orange juice or citric anything and work your muscles a little, it will solve your issue.

I've been doing a mix of grapefruit juice & OJ every morning. My hubby recommended and I had no idea why. Glad I listened for a change. Thanks for your input. ;)
  • marjen002
    Options

Ha, too funny!

And, yes, I do that too. :0)
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options

Hehe that's what I do ;-)
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Hottub! It works wonders, If I get in at night before bed, the next morning I feel much better.