Question for those who have lost and are just starting to lo

Options
Ok so is it just me or is working out + the cals I am getting from my daily allowance not enough for my body. I have this hungry feeling all the time. :grumble:

The portions I am eating are way smaller then what I was eating and the food is all healthy food. I eat 5 small meals a day and I still carry around this major craving for all the foods I used to eat. (I went from 3000+ cals a day to 1900 cals a day to now at 1380 base and about 300 from run/walking 3x a week)

On the days I dont work out 1380 seems like not enough and I am feeling the need to gorge on bad food. :sick:

Is this my body rebelling at going from 3000+ to 1380 on non workout days? I just dont want to feel like I am way limiting myself because that sets me up for failure. :sad:

Anyone out there whos lost this weight struggle with this in a big way? Anyone going through this now. What do I do to curb this? I dont want to fail. :indifferent:

(On the days I eat about 2000 cals I feel fine but thats way over my limit.)

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit does 2000 give you? If it's still a deficit, you'll still lose weight.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a big change for your body, it'll take a while to get used to that much less food. If it's really hard, or you feel like it's going to cause you to fail, I would work down in 250 calorie steps, give each step 4 to 5 days, and by the end of 1 month you should be down where you need to be and not feeling so famished. I know that means delaying significant weight loss, but it's also a way to make sure you don't become discouraged and quit.

Best of luck to you!

-Banks
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Maybe as you get closer to your goal, you should adjust your weight loss / week goal to a smaller amount to allow yourself more calories. If you're hungry, you're not going to be very motivated to stick with your plan.
  • SPQR4
    SPQR4 Posts: 11
    Options
    When you feel hungry drink water and eat fibre . . . water takes away the urge to eat and fibre makes you feel more full than you really are.

Best of luck.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I know when I first started I was hungry all the time. I would just snack on little healthy things all day then when I got used to that I started eating 200 - 300 cals every couple of hours. Your body will eventually get used to the smaller portions, I can barely even eat half of what I used to eat before I get full now. :smile:
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    Try chewing some sugarfree gum when you get those cravings- it will keep your mouth busy, and it is only 5 calories per stick, plus there are a ton of flavors/kinds to choose from. Gum is what always keeps my cravings under control when I have them.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    When you feel hungry drink water and eat fibre . . . water takes away the urge to eat and fibre makes you feel more full than you really are.

Best of luck.

I completely agree with this advice, PLUS, don't forget protein! It REALLY helps keep you full a LOT longer too! :smile:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I see on your ticker that you have quite a bit of weight to lose. Without knowing your weight, I'm gonna assume your goal is set for 2 lbs lost per week.

Maybe you can adjust your MFP goal to lose 1 pound per week and see how you do for 3 or 4 weeks. That should up your calories per day significantly - and you should still lose weight.

I weigh about 162 right now and am eating 1500 cals + workout cals for a 1 pound/week loss. It works!

Of course, I've been traveling for 4 weeks, so I haven't lost anything in a while, but that happens. :tongue:
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 290 - my current weight is 245. I am shooting for 150. I think I will adjust to 1lb a week or pickup more workouts.

Thank you guys for the help.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 290 - my current weight is 245. I am shooting for 150. I think I will adjust to 1lb a week or pickup more workouts.

Thank you guys for the help.
    Are you physically hungry or just craving foods you used to eat? You can eat more hearty grains like brown rice, whole oats help me too. I love this bread called Ezekiel bread. Its only 80 calories and its a stick to your ribs kind of bread.
    Another way to battle hunger is to go to a health food store and get psyllium hulls. They expand in your stomach and make you feel fuller. You have to take them an hour before eating. I am doing a Whole Body Cleanse and with all the fiber and psyllium, I am having to force myself to eat.

I still agree with everyone else, that you might want to bump your calories up a bit so you don't get frustrated and want to quit.:flowerforyou: