would any low carb dieters mind taking a look

Options
Would you mind taking a look at my diet, and maybe give a little advise on what I'm doing wrong. I monitor my keytosis. And I have been in the highest margin for about a week now. And I'm not really loosing anything, almost gaining. I have a very physical job,and work 12 hours a day, so it can't really be exercise. Thank you for any advise.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nothing obviously springs to mind. You do have a big breakfast with 4 eggs, if not losing would 3 do ? or perhaps even 2 ?

Some days you don't eat much and appear to do a lot of exercise calories, that'll create a large deficit that may inhibit weight loss.

you can change your macros on here to represent the low carb diet in the Goals section, may help you track better.

Being in ketosis facilitates fat loss but you do need a calorie deficit to burn the fat. I would think from what I can see that you have a deficit - how long have you not been losing ?
  • Mubb
    Mubb Posts: 90
    Options
    I usually try and eat a big breakfast, due to I leave for work at 6 am and my only break is at 1:30. I've been really trying for about a month now, a couple weeks before I fnd this site. I dropped. 13 pounds pretty easy, but after that seems stagnant. So do you do you think I need more calories, I try and eat whenever I can.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Can you eat "on the job" ? A handful of almonds for example would plug the gap between breakfast and lunch.

Is your diary complete, the calorie intake was a bit erratic, perhaps that's because you can't get to eat ?
  • Mubb
    Options
    Its 100% I just don't input all the water I drink,usually 5-6 bottles a day. I can get some snacks in. I would have just never thought I wasn't eating enough.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Is the calisthenic exercise, actually your day job? If that is the case, I would suggest to following (IMOP)

1) change your activity to active and don't log the "work" calories as exercise. Only log workouts at home or at the gym, running, walking, etc.
    2) Be careful with the sodium
    3) Trash the Mountain Dew. If you need a boost try 1/2 cup of coffee or green tea
    4) Eat more. Your total calories intake is too little for a man of your size
    5) Incorporate more fruitt and vegetables, brown rice, quinoa, beans, lentils, yams/sweet potatoes (all good carbs) in your diet., Going low carb doesn't mean no carbs. We need them to refuel our bodies and for energy,.
    6) Star lifting weights. Google exercises that you can do at home if you don't have the time to join a gym.

Good luck
  • sonyalear2012
    sonyalear2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    cut out some of the diet mt. dew and drink lots of water :bigsmile:
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What you are eating looks great.....but......you are not eating enough. You are probably going into starvation mode. An inactive women eats more calories than you. Try getting those calories up around 1800 or more and once a week have a day off where you eat up to 2000. If you yo yo your calories and exercise your body's metabolism will not be able to anticipate what it needs. The less you eat, the lower your metabolism will be.
  • dianacom
    dianacom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First, I would get more info on low carb diets. There are some like Atkins that cut carbs down to aprx 15 daily for a short time and then you start adding them back in. It is my understanding that most of the other low carb diets are a variations of this extreme. It's not enough to cut white starch, but also sugars. I couldn't find your diet, but from the other posts, I would say If you are drinking soft drinks you're defeating the whole low carb thing. I don't understand how you could be in ketosis and consume soft drinks.

I've been on various types of low carb solutions. They do work. I ate huge amounts of high protein foods and lost weight. But you HAVE to work the whole program or you will gain it all back. Whatever low carb solution you choose, you cut back on carbs until you reach your goal weight, then slowly add them back and monitor your weight so you know how much and which specific items cause gains. Then you will implement a life long limiting, not necessarily cutting completely, those item.
  • star7092
    star7092 Posts: 22
    Options
    I notice that you are drinking soda a lot. Perhaps try cutting that out or limiting it. Even the diet soda still has sodium in it and that can effect your weight loss. Its good that you are eating breakfast. I find that hard most days and like you I don't normally eat lunch till after 1pm. Good Luck!
  • Mubb
    Options
    Thank you guys. I will finish this diet dew, and that's it! I've always been a light eater. I'm really not eating any less than I have, I just cut out the carbs. I guess I need to eat more. This might explain how I'm the only overweight Guy at work.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You are not eating NEARLY enough. For a man, the average lowest intake you should be eating is around 1500 calories per day, not counting exercise. You're eating well below that, and then having crazy huge burns on top of that. You need to fuel the fire in order to burn fat and stay healthy. You're also not eating many fruits and veggies from what I see -- you're eating some, and that's great, but try eating more. You need those nutrients just as much as you need protein.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You are not eating NEARLY enough. For a man, the average lowest intake you should be eating is around 1500 calories per day, not counting exercise. You're eating well below that, and then having crazy huge burns on top of that. You need to fuel the fire in order to burn fat and stay healthy. You're also not eating many fruits and veggies from what I see -- you're eating some, and that's great, but try eating more. You need those nutrients just as much as you need protein.

Agreed.

And low carb diets are not sustainable long-term.

And the humans that live the longest on Earth all eat carbs. Healthy carbs but still carbs.
  • yarwell
    Options
    there isn't an obvious pointer in what you eat. Anyone on low carb needs to be on high fat and reasonable protein and you do seem to do that most days.

Your metabolism does slow down in response to any calorie reduction, and maybe yours is slow to start with. Shaking it up with a week or two of higher calories through eating more good fats and oils may be helpful. You should reset your goals on the custom setting to get the right targets for fat and protein with a low carb target.

Remember "There's no molecule in the group of compounds known as carbohydrates that is essential to life" so don't go adding rice and other forms of disguised glucose to your diet. :-)
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, a guy especially, your calories should be at least 1800 or more each day with lots of exercise, and your sodium is pretty high most days with not much food... so maybe try to watch the sodium too, as it will hold water as well. Definitely water vs soda is another good idea. Eat more!! nuts are a great source of calories without alot of bulk or try protein shakes? protein bars if need a quick grab at work..
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you are truly on a low carb diet and "managing" your ketosis (which I take to mean you are attempting to remain in ketosis), you are eating WAY too many carbs. I see on Saturday and Sunday, you had close to, or over 400 carbs. In order to stay in ketosis, you should be eating, in most cases, less than 50 carbs per day. How are you managing your ketosis? The only way you can tell if you are in ketosis is to buy some keto-stix and measure them in your urine. The stick should look some hue of purple..the darker, the more ketones in your urine. If you are not staying in ketosis and seeing how many carbs you are eating, you should be gaining weight, not losing. If you are going to do "low carb" educate yourself and follow a reputable plan. So, start peeing on your keto-stix and lower your carb intake dramatically. You should start losing in less than a week. If you stick to this diet you should lose weight rather rapidly. I have been there, done that. This is one diet you can't have cheat days on. And.. if you keep your carbs very low (20-50), it doesn't matter how many calories you eat.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Would you mind taking a look at my diet, and maybe give a little advise on what I'm doing wrong. I monitor my keytosis. And I have been in the highest margin for about a week now. And I'm not really loosing anything, almost gaining. I have a very physical job,and work 12 hours a day, so it can't really be exercise. Thank you for any advise.

Low Carb dieting, and any other limited dieting isn't going to help you with out some form of exercise. I see you have a physical job...but it's obviously not physical enough to where you burn more calories than you take in....Which is hella low imo.

Here are few tips I can give you about low carb dieting...I was able to drop my last 20 to 15 lbs using a low carb diet and cut down to a 6% body fat...

this is what I did...

First I did cardio in the morning on an empty stomach...

I still ate oatmeal for breakfast, For snacks I ate Peanut Butter, protein shakes, and chicken....For Lunch I ate a tuna salad or a chicken salad...And for Dinner I ate only green veggies and and lean meats...

I ate roughly 1900 - 2100 cals a day and took in a total of 200 to 250 grams of Protein a day...

BUT I DIDNT just simply cut off carbs...Remember I still had that oatmeal.

The Mountain dew is slowing down your weight loss also...Can you swicth to Tea or something?

Finally I also ran sprints, did interval training...and I lifted weights because lifting weights and buidling muscle burns fat.

Good luck....feel free to message me anytime.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out anything processed...like the V8, I know you listed low sodium, but it will still make your body hold onto water. The pickle yikes... SODIUM!
    Depending on what plan you are following, I'd say go back to eating just meat, eggs, and cheese for 2 weeks and then slowly start adding back in some GREEN veggies.
    Have you read up on low carb dieting or did you just start it on your own? If I were you I'd read some books or comb the net for more info.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • yarwell
    Options
    I see on Saturday and Sunday, you had close to, or over 400 carbs.

I think you read his "target" as set by MFP, not the actual.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    if you keep your carbs very low (20-50), it doesn't matter how many calories you eat.

wow that makes since...because when I am low carb dieting it didn't matter how much calories I got via protein..I still was able to burn fat and cut.....nice!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Do you not drink any water at all or just not log it?
    I'd drop the diet soda and not as many sweet snacks. I dont eat many of them since even the 'sugar free' ones have carbs but yours are logging with none. Maybe you need to visit the true carb count you eat. Do you carb exchange for fiber?
    Look at your sodium intake also.. Could be a lot of water weight
    Just a few ideas, Im not an expert