Running

Options
I've never run before, but my main fitness goal is to one day (maybe next September) run a 5-k Run For Your Lives (zombies) race.

What would you recommend for someone like me, who right now only walks, to get started? I am quite out of shape, but less so now that I try and do 3000-5000 steps a day and am 29 lbs down.

Another issue I have is my boobs. Can any ladies recommend a decent sports bra that will really squash 'em down for running? For a little "extra" I do a bit of 30DS once in a while, but can only make it 10 minutes in because of the jumping jacks and jumping on the spot. Is there a way to run that would be better for me while I get my weight down (and my boobs down)?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Do a C25K program (couch to 5K) and repeat weeks if they seemed too hard. I'm on week 7 now (it's an 8 week program) and it's taken me at least 2.5 months to get here LOL. I'd like to do the Run for Your Lives race too - maybe next year!

As for bras, I have Nike Dri-Fit Compression bras I really like (I'm a 38E and the XL fits well but probably wouldn't fit much larger than that). I also just bought some of these and really like them:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/MCL323/
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For the sports bra- I wear two because I can't afford a really nice one right now. Couch to 5k would probably be the best way to get started on becoming comfortable running. Also someone else on this forum mentioned the app "Run, Zombies" and I used it yesterday on my run and thought it was great.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into the couch 2 5K - I think I saw an app for the iPhone too, which would help me keep track. I don't mind putting in the time, I am sure it takes a lot of time to go from where I am to actually running.

That bra looks like serious business, I think I am a 38/40 E as well, although maybe less since I've lost a bit of weight. I bought some "sports" bras the last time I was shopping but they are really just comfy undershirts with a bra built in - still can't do jumping jacks in them. Thanks!
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For the sports bra- I wear two because I can't afford a really nice one right now. Couch to 5k would probably be the best way to get started on becoming comfortable running. Also someone else on this forum mentioned the app "Run, Zombies" and I used it yesterday on my run and thought it was great.

I've seen that app too, I am considering getting it. Do you have to run really far, should I wait a bit?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A fast walk can help you too. If you can work up to a 3.5-4mph walking pace you would be able to run.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Sports bra with a crop top over it. Works perfectly :-)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k
    Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk Interval method
    Hal Higdon beginning runner training plans

Check out runnersworld.com for lots of great advice for beginners.

Good luck!
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm following the Ease into 5K app that you can download for either the iphone or andriod. It's really the only exercise I am doing at the moment and i'm managing it ok. Today I did week 4, day 1 which includes a total of 14 mins running. I actually ran a total of 20 mins because on the last run I felt I could push myself further so just kept running until I didn't feel comfortable anymore. The structure is Run/Walk intervals - the app tells you when to Run/Walk and you can set up your own playlist.

I'd try an app if you need help in structuring your workout. Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into the couch 2 5K - I think I saw an app for the iPhone too, which would help me keep track. I don't mind putting in the time, I am sure it takes a lot of time to go from where I am to actually running.

That bra looks like serious business, I think I am a 38/40 E as well, although maybe less since I've lost a bit of weight. I bought some "sports" bras the last time I was shopping but they are really just comfy undershirts with a bra built in - still can't do jumping jacks in them. Thanks!

C25k all the way... your going to be doing a 5k, so this will get you there. Also, aim for the head.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Been doing the C25K for several weeks. Some weeks I have to repeat because im not ready to move on. I have started losing better since starting because it pushes me more that I would have pushed myself. I printed out the treadmill version and taped it to it. GOODLUCK!!!
  • yubyub
    yubyub Posts: 8
    Options
    I am a 42DDD. I wear a regular underwire bra with an Enell sports bra over it. Those babies don't move.

I am doing a combo of couch to 5k and ease into 5K. both are apps that let me listen to my own music.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! I've tried learning to run so many times, it seemed so hard. I started c25k on February 28th, just graduated last week and i'm doing my first 5k on May 28th! The c25k program is really great!
  • artisticappetite
    Options
    I just started running and I've found that running for time rather than distance is better, which is what the couch to 5k trains your in. If you can only run for three minutes at a time thats fine, just tack on a couple more seconds each time you start running again to build endurance!

And I wear a sports bra (just a plain nike one) and one of those compression tops that your supposed to wear as a a shirt (LOL!), helps a lot with the bouncing problem :)

Also, super jealous that you get to do Run for your Lives! The closest location to me is about an 8 hour drive away :( Maybe next year!
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I am a 38 DD and if you spend a little extra on a good quality sports bra, it will do its job. I like my Fiona by Moving Comfort, which cost around $46.00.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    C25K!! It doesn't take as long as you think and it's only 30 min 3x per week!! I started last August and this April I ran 2 half marathons! It can be done !!!
  • kriztyn723
    kriztyn723 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes, Couch 25K.. there is an App.. it's great!! I am on week 3.. took off a week for illness and such so I am repeating a couple weeks.. but it will def get you into running slowly.. :)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Try titlenine.com or movingcomfort.com - both have a great range of sports bras for bigger boobs and rate them by impact level. I love that you can get a sports bra with underwire - after years of bouncing, its AMAZING to run in something that actually holds you in place.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    HI... Just bought my first 38G and 36G regular bra's and was soo excited, but I bought the 40DD Moving Comfort Maia II bra for $45 and I absolutely love it. The girls stay in place when jogging, doing 30DS, and zumba. It has a great band at the bottom that my HRM chest strap stays under nicely, too.
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am a 42DDD. I wear a regular underwire bra with an Enell sports bra over it. Those babies don't move.

I am doing a combo of couch to 5k and ease into 5K. both are apps that let me listen to my own music.

I second the enell bra for heavy, dense breasts. the straps are "static" meaning they don't give. it's a bit bulky and pricey but well worth the cost and effort to put 'em on.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I just downloaded a free couch 2 5 k app by zen labs to check out for a friend...so far I'm pretty happy with it. Don't hesitate to repeat a week...sometimes you just don't 'feel it' but the important thing is to keep moving. Also, I think it is just fine to start off with a fast walk if that is what works best for you at this point. Race walkers are NO JOKE!! :laugh: Last year I completed my first half marathon and was behind a race walker for what seemed like forever...and I was running!

I really like my Victoria's Secret sports bras. I was lucky enough to pick up a few on sale and was so happy I did. I have heard about lots of ladies going the double bra route too. A suggestion might be to head to a local running shop to get fitted for a good pair of shoes and check out what they have to offer support-wise for the girls.