STARTING TO WORRY

Options

Replies

• moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    First of all, in your photo... you look fabulous! I would kill for your cheekbones! Secondly, I agree with most that the inches are what matters most and your enegy level. I have been in your shoes, a plateau is difficult to swallow. However, you mentioned you are only eating back half your exercise calories... why? You've earned those calories, your body needs them... eat them. Also, I have noticed that sometimes I plateau if I don't change things up... maybe switch up your exercise routine, increase your workouts from 30 - 45 minutes if possible, and eat back your calories every day. It may sound crazy... but it works. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Stop beating yourself up about your number... the number is a number, feeling healthy and fit is worth more than what the scale tells you. It will come off eventually, this is a life change, not a diet, so eventually things will fall into place if you stick to it.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am sure I am going to take a lot of heat for this, and I want to be supportive. Depending on how much you have to lose, which you haven't stated, If you are consistently exercising and under your cals, you will lose weight. I would be extra-vigilant about logging EVERYTHING ... every bite and trying to lower that sodium and I think you will see more drastic results.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So based on the information you sent me, your estimate BMR is 1600. And doing 30DS, that would make you lightly active so your TDEE is as follows:

= 1576 * 1.375 = 2167 <-- average calories you burn in a day.
    CN = 2167 * .8 = 1733 <-- what you should be eating a day.

other way to look at it.

TDEE = 1576 * 1.2 (sedentary) + 300 = 2191
    CN = 1752

So basically, you should be eating 1750 calories a day and do NOT eat back exercise calories as I have added them in the equation. You should eat this every day, even on rest days as your body needs fuel to repair itself. Also, I generally suggest 35% carb, 40% protein and 25% fats.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am sure I am going to take a lot of heat for this, and I want to be supportive. Depending on how much you have to lose, which you haven't stated, If you are consistently exercising and under your cals, you will lose weight. I would be extra-vigilant about logging EVERYTHING ... every bite and trying to lower that sodium and I think you will see more drastic results.

I need to lose 30 lbs.
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    I would go here and work your numbers. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • amontes410
    amontes410 Posts: 19
    Options
    Focus on Fat Loss, Not Weight Loss

When you talk about losing weight, what you usually mean is slimming down. But slimming down doesn't always mean losing weight. It may sound odd, but it's possible to get thinner without actually seeing a change in your weight. This happens when you lose body fat while gaining muscle. Your weight may stay the same, even as you lose inches, a sign that you're moving in the right direction. But, if the scale doesn't change, you may not even be aware that you're getting real results. Knowing the difference between losing weight and losing body fat can change how you get results and may even change how you look at your own body.

Knowing your body composition is crucial information if you really want to get results and, unfortunately, the scale doesn't tell you that. Another reason scale weight isn't so reliable is that it changes all the time.While the scale isn't completely useless, it may not be the best tool for people just starting a fat loss program. If it doesn't help you stay on track and reach your goals, maybe it's time to throw out the scale for good.

You now know that focusing on fat loss is much more important than focusing on your weight. When you lose body fat, you're making permanent changes in your body, shifting your body composition so that you have less fat and more muscle. When you lose weight, you could be losing water or even muscle.

40 days in, 12 lbs down and 6 inches off.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Your mason jar example is about MASS not WEIGHT.
    You know that weight should actually be measured in newtons, not pounds of kilograms, right?

Stop being so nit-picky because you think you're smarter than everyone else. You contributed literally nothing to this thread where someone asked for help.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my life! Gaahh! So frustrating! I have thyroid disease though. Have you had your thyroid checked recently?
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're swapping fat for muscle, but you're not doing THAT much activity and only half of it is muscle building.
    Based on everything I've read and experienced, that is not enough activity for fat loss. Try to spend at least and hour on those days. Try 30 min cardio, 30 min strength. Personally I do 30 min cardio and 1 hour of strength, but what ever. Up it. And make sure your protein and healthy fats are sufficiently high.

Stick with it.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Star logging everyday w/everything you eat. If you do this to a T at least you can go back through and look over what and how you have been eating and where your numbers have been to give yourself a more accurate answer as to why you might not be losing any weight.

Start eating cleaner foods. You don't necessarily have to go out and buy all organic and all natural foods, but just skimming through your diary and going over the foods you did log in, there really aren't that much of anything when it comes to fresh veggies, fruits or lean meats.

Ditch some of the processed food. They are high in sodium and a lot of them are high in sugar.

I have been in your shoes before and have been stuck or 'maintained' a certain weight even though I was working out. 1 month ago {when I joined MFP} I cracked down and ditched the processed, ditched the 'low fat' or 'fat free' stuff. I added in more fresh veggies, more fruits, more chicken breast, tuna, turkey... For example, I love chicken salad. I made some super yummy chicken salad the other day and instead of using mayonnaise, I used cottage cheese. Start looking at labels more when you shop for your food, compare them to others and go with the ones that have more nutrients for you.

After cracking down a month ago and ditching my old habits I have lost 11lbs and 7inches.

Just tweak your food/meals around, start logging everyday and don't forget lots and lots of water! :smile:
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stop the strength training and do only cardio for the weight loss. Strength training is great but when you want to lose weight you shoudl really stick to mostly cardio. Additionally, I would suggest reducing carbohydrates out of your diet, and reducing sodium which can cause you to retain water weigt etc.

About half of this. If you are just trying to lose weight, your main focus should be cardio and not strength training. Weight training builds muscle mass and will drive weight up, something you are trying to avoid. Where I disagree is reducing your carbohydrates. Carbs are needed to enegrize your workout, you will need to keep them in your diet.
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from; we work so hard and when we don't see the evidence of it on the scale it is hard to stay motivated. Like the people are saying here, there are a host of reasons for hitting plateau's and several different ways to get over them. I think the most important thing is to not give up. Also, by looking at your diary a little, you eat a lot of processed foods. I would try a cleaner diet. When I am good and eat mostly veggies and lean meats my body is kind in return. The process junk never fails to show up on the scale and makes me feel like I need to eat more. I hope this works out for you!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    In 50 days you should lose weight, much more than you would gain in any muscle you put on (or water weight). Relook your daily caloric needs, and be honest with calories burned. I have been doing this for 7 or 8 weeks, same as you, and I've lost over 10 pounds, and I exercise tons. Also, I eat every single cardio calorie back. With only 2 days of cardio, you may not be burning as many as you think. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound (or eat 3500 fewer), or a combo of the two. It's great you've lost inches, maybe just add more cardio to get rid of more calories. Good luck!

I use a HRM, and burn anywhere from 300 to 500 four days a week. So this is the problem? Not burning enough? With a deficiet I should lose, i thought?

I'm eating right now at a 750 a day deficit to give me about a 1.5 lb loss a week. If the deficit gets too great, you may be stalling out your weight loss because your body is saving every calorie it takes in. About 3 weeks ago, I went from eating around 1200 daily to around 1700 daily (depending on exercise) and have seen a 3 pound loss in three weeks. It's now taken me 9 months to lose 10 pounds, but my body looks better.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    WTF, why didn't you say this at the start? Maybe you are fine where you are... Change insurance companies if you can.. BMI stands for Bull**** something something (I don't know what the M and I stands for).
    [/quote]

BMI = Bull---- Measurement Indicator. :laugh:
  • mellarsonl828
    Options
    My suggestion would be to stop the strength training and do only cardio for the weight loss. Strength training is great but when you want to lose weight you shoudl really stick to mostly cardio. Additionally, I would suggest reducing carbohydrates out of your diet, and reducing sodium which can cause you to retain water weigt etc.

This is absolutely false, please don't post a claim like this that has no basis other than some random opinion. The fact is that while you may be able to burn more calories per minute while running or on the elliptical (2-3 calories more per minute...its pretty insignificant), you do not have the same after burn impact that you do with strength. A good mix of strength, dynamic strength (no you won't build mass), and of varying intensity/levels of cardio, combined with a HEALTHY and well rounded diet that includes ALL food groups will guide you toward overall health.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

About half of this. If you are just trying to lose weight, your main focus should be cardio and not strength training. Weight training builds muscle mass and will drive weight up, something you are trying to avoid. Where I disagree is reducing your carbohydrates. Carbs are needed to enegrize your workout, you will need to keep them in your diet.

Weight training will build muscle mass, while eating on a calorie deficit? :noway: No wonder me and all my MFP friends look like Lou Ferrigno.

Oh wait, we don't.
  • pritish1
    pritish1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would venture to guess that your BMR is much lower than 1500 calories. Different folks have different metabolism and the BMR is nothing but average metabolism rate. My sister-in-law barely eats 700 calories a day but does not feel a bit of tiredness or anything - ofcourse she weighs around 110 lb. I am at 1200 calories net (regularly exercise) and have not lost weight so now I am reducing my caloric goal to 1100 calories (net).

Hope that helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Now, on topic: I really hate that insurance companies use the BMI scale. It is very inaccurate especially if you aren't of average height. It is only accurate from about 5'4 to 5'11 below or above that height makes it unreliable. I'm 4'11" and it says I'm morbidly obese and I wear a size 12. What morbidly obese person can fit in a size 12?

I am 5 6" and it was saying I was overweight when I was in a size 6. The BMI is often total cr*pola and I am not sure why insurance companies hold such stock in it - it really is not an indicator of health.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would venture to guess that your BMR is much lower than 1500 calories. Different folks have different metabolism and the BMR is nothing but average metabolism rate. My sister-in-law barely eats 700 calories a day but does not feel a bit of tiredness or anything - ofcourse she weighs around 110 lb. I am at 1200 calories net (regularly exercise) and have not lost weight so now I am reducing my caloric goal to 1100 calories (net).

Hope that helps.

Do NOT take this advice.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am 5 6" and it was saying I was overweight when I was in a size 6. The BMI is often total cr*pola and I am not sure why insurance companies hold such stock in it - it really is not an indicator of health.

Because they can get more money out of you, why else?