If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options
....I'd tell them to take lots of before pictures when starting their new life style. I have a couple, but really regret not having standard one (same clothes, pose, etc.) to see if I can tell the 'then vs. now" differences.

Replies

• TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    ....I'd tell them to take lots of before pictures when starting their new life style. I have a couple, but really regret not having standard one (same clothes, pose, etc.) to see if I can tell the 'then vs. now" differences.

I really wish I had done this. I've taken some after I started and can see the differences...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You're eventually going to have to break up with or severely limit your time with Cardio. You're eventually going to break up with or forget about the scale once you get to a certain point.. and you will actually be able to use the mirror to track weekly/monthl progress.

Make peace with that now and save yourself a 12 month plateau later.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    yeah...the scale isn't a good indicator of how well you are doing.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do not trust the numbers MFP sets out. Do your research and choose your own calorie goal.
  • na25na52
    na25na52 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks, Everyone. I'm technically a newbie! Keep them coming...
  • chiley1
    chiley1 Posts: 15
    Options
    It takes lots of determination.
  • na25na52
    na25na52 Posts: 9
    Options
    What outfit/clothing do you recommend someone wear? I've been hesitant to take pics just because I don't like seeing myself this weight!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't believe that bodybuilder's give good advice to those who do not wish to be a bodybuilder.

You DO NOT have to lift heavy or guzzle protein to look good naked. If that is your thing then more power to you, but you don't have to.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Measure!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Set your goal at 1 lb/week (or less).
  • SkinnyVMM
    SkinnyVMM Posts: 9
    Options
    :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!

This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Don't let the jerks on the message boards steer you away!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The scale might seem evil but It really shows you how your diet was the previous day. If you had a sodium filled day, it will show on the scale the next morning, but know that that is excess water and is not fat.

Know that You are going to meet your goals.. you just have to stick with it and stay on track. Don't let a minor slip up discourage you from reaching your goals. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Yes! I wish I had done this too... I didn't take any before pics, and only have very few to compare to...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Eating "bad" food once in awhile isn't a deal breaker. Skipping a workout day isn't either. This is a lifestyle change, find something you can stick with long term.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    DO NOT Starve yourself then kill yourself with exorcise. Eating 1000 Calories and Burning 1000calories in a day is a recipe for disaster. Believe it or not, eating will help you lose weight if you do it right.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Don't just eat 1200 calories!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    don't get upset with people who delete you. its there loss