If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Focus more on the bigger picture than what you weigh from one day to the next.

It's easy to let day-to-day fluctuations get you discouraged when you don't deserve it. Keeping a journal really helped me here.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM THE TREADS AND MY GROUP OF FRIENDS BECASUE THEY WILL EAT YOU ALIVE ! LOL

No seriously I would Say I wish them the best of luck and keep your chin up everything that is good for you takes time !
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna take newbie pics, don't wear underwear, because you may have trouble posting them here later, in success stories. Use stretchy nylon workout clothes or a bikini/swimsuit. And take measurements!!! Regularly!!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    drink your water!!!!!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Don't be shy or thinned skinned! Be open to what people have to say! Oh wait, you said one thing! ha, sorry!
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Record EVERYTHING, even if you go way over your calorie goal. It will keep you honest and is what makes the magic happen (for me anyway-38lbs gone since Jan).
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Be patient, believe in yourself, screw the damn scale, pick up some weights. Be a BAMF.

:heart: Sass
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This. Also, opt to lose 1 pound per week, not more.
    [/quote]

I've seen this said before. Can anybody tell me my people recommend this? At that rate, it would take me around 21 months.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    If you really want this, make no excuses about why you can't do this or can't do that.....make reasons why you SHOULD do this and that. Before you cheat, think about how much longer it will take you to reach your goal. Willpower seems to be the downfall of SOOOO many people and unless you get that under control, it will only make it that much harder for you. Think about what is more important to you, five minutes of enjoying that chocolate cupcake that puts on about 30 grams of fat and 400 calories: OR do you want to be healthy? It's your choice.

Trust me, I pratice what I preach. I haven't not had a sweet in forever, no potato chips no nothing. I really want what I want and the only way to get it is to be 100% committed!!

Good luck to all!
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Take all the advice you can get.....with a grain of salt. If it's not from a professional, make sure you do your own research (and not just from one quack source) before taking every Tom, ****, and Harry's advice as gold.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Take all the advice you can get.....with a grain of salt. If it's not from a professional, make sure you do your own research (and not just from one quack source) before taking every Tom, ****, and Harry's advice as gold.

^^^ Ok SERIOUSLY MFP??? I was using that as a NAME not a body part! What if my name was ****?
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

^^^ Ok SERIOUSLY MFP??? I was using that as a NAME not a body part! What if my name was ****?

Lol. I thought that too.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    There is no secret: only dedication, determination and the belief in your self that you will succeed.

and also muscle is denser than fat ; it does not weight more :tongue:
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice... keep them coming!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    --Know that you are going to have to think for yourself, not blindly do what other people are doing or what MFP says.

--Record accurately, observe, make adjustments.

--Track your body fat percentage with a device, your measurements, or an online calculator.

--Remember that MFP's suggestions are guidelines not rules.

--Understand that if you are at plateau, the first response is not to eat back your calories. Examine everything else you are doing. People who really need need to eat back all their calories are usually at a very high level of fitness and are not overweight.

--Acknowledge that while losing weight and exercising will make you healthier, you cannot magically reshape every part of your body. Your genetics play a role in where you hold on to fat and build muscle.

--Beware of the loose use of terms such as "starvation mode."
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I really wish I had before pictures too.. And I wish I took measurements! All of that before stuff I'm missing out on, and it would help when I feel like I'm not seeing as big a difference as I'd like..
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You're eventually going to have to break up with or severely limit your time with Cardio.

I'm not there yet, obviously, but I will eventually need to break up with CARDIO? Please tell me why?
  • 4me2day
    4me2day Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't quit...You are worth it.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options

So Just checking... I cannot talk about my Uncle **** who lost 20 lbs? - That's Hilarious! Poor Uncle ****, his name is banned.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything that is posted on line.

Drink your water!