What are the food staples you buy at the grocery store?

Replies

• angrydolly
    angrydolly Posts: 22
    I shop weekly, usually spending about $30 a week on food for myself.

I buy a box of healthy cereal, fresh spinach, a different type of cheese a week, snap pea crisps, and depending on what I have left from the previous week, a meat or two.

Then, I grab one or two fruits for the week, almond milk, a fruity v8, and some tastey veggies.

usually one or two bags of 90 second rice, and tuna fish.

I always have bocca burgers/chicken patties on hand, fresh garlic, and lemon/lime juice.

but my main main staple is the spinach, cereal, almond milk, and v8. The rest alternates around what I have managed to stock up on or run out of. I can ALWAYS make a salad, and I always have fresh vegetables for steaming and some sort of frozen fish, and canned tuna. I can make just about anything around it, with my stockpile of broths and sauces and seasonings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It would be easier knowing what type of diet you follow, but I'll just list things I always have on hand.

1. Brown rice and brown/wild rice mixes
    2. Barilla plus pasta
    3. a variety of dried beans
    4. Canned beans (for when there isn't time to cook dry)
    5. Flat Out whole grain wraps (I use for sandwichs, tortillas and toast as chips)
    6. canned tuna
    7. old fashioned rolled oats
    8. quinoa - red and white
    9. a variety of frozen fish / seafood (I don't live near the ocean)
    10. frozen whole grain waffles
    11. frozen vegetables
    12. a variety of fresh vegetables - I buy what is on sale and/or looks fresh that week and plan meals around it
    13. all natural peanut butter
    14. pure maple syrup
    15. extra virgin olive oil
    16. several flavors of mustard (for making salad/sandwich dressings mostly)
    17. several flavors of vinegar (for making salad/sandwich dressings mostly)
    18. a variety of fresh and dried herbs/seasonings
    19. a variety of wines
    20. canned tomatoes and tomato sauce
    21. Rotel canned tomatoes with habanero
    22. Low sodium V-8
    23. Soy milk'
    24. Seapoint farms dry roasted edamame (lightly salted and wasabi flavored)
    25. Fountain of Health hummus
    26. Almonds - lightly salted or flavored but always have cocoa roast on hand
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    BUMP
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Oats, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, edamame, cauliflower, broccoli, chicken breast, frozen shrimp, canned tuna, eggs, shirataki noodles
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 161 Member
    Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, Chicken, Meatless Patties, Egg Whites, Almond Milk, Hummus, Mixed Berries, Spinach, Cheez-its for my unhealthy boy:)
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 735 Member
    -Turkey
    -chicken
    -eggs
    -oatmeal
    -Brown Rice
    -Almond Milk
    -variety of fruits and veggies
    -Low Fat cheese
    -greek yogurt
    -Peanut Butter
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Thanks! These are all excellent suggestions. :happy:
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Massive amounts of meat of every variety (land, sea, air),

fresh vegetables (NOT including potatoes or carrots),

berries (NO fruits other than strawberries, blackberries, etc),

massive amounts of eggs, cheeses, FULL cream creams, FULL cream yoghourts (NO flavourings of course - greek yoghourt) and similar,

wine galore.

every seasoning, herb, salt, etc etc.

If you're living the low-carbohydrate lifestyle, basically you eat like a king or queen!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    chicken, cheese, avocado, almonds, spinach wraps, deli turkey, spinach, salad stuff, whatever type of fish is on sale, oatmeal, bottled water, and crystal light.
  • kkamin3
    kkamin3 Posts: 17
    Lots of fruits and veggies.
    Grains such as oatmeal, brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, barley, millet
    Whole Wheat Pastas of all shapes and sizes
    Salmon, Frozen, Fresh, or Vacuumed Pack (I tend to eat the serving size packets for on the run)
    Lean Meats
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    bump for later :-)
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    I'm vegetarian and tend to make a giant salad each week and a giant stew each week, and so we buy organic vegetables, organic grains like quinoa, organic flax seed since I eat them all the time like a hamster (!), vegetarian roasts or fake meats for protein (quorn roasts usually and lightlife veggie burgers), organic cheese, tomatoes, organic half and half for coffee, maybe organic ice cream, although I can go weeks without bothering with it, tofu lin which is great on its own or in cooking, organic chocolate for the freezer, and I buy greek yogurt and the daily coffee downtown each day to help support the local coffeeshops. Other than that, maybe we'll smartpuffs or pirate booty if we're in the mood for that kind of snack instead of dinner.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Almonds
    Pretzel sticks
    Unsalted dry roasted peanuts
    Raisins
    (I mix the above four together to create homemade trail mix...it fills me up for hours!)
    Kashi Go Lean cereal
    Low fat milk
    Fruit or fruit salad
    100 calorie popcorn
    Oatmeal
    Grilled chicken
    Spring mix
    Light raspberry vinaigrette dressing
    100 calorie cookies or snacks
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    The first thing I consider is what's in season and what's on sale, of course this varies according to where to you live. Whatever is in season will be cheaper, fresher, and more likely to come from local sources. Then I rough out a menu for the week and buy what's on my menu. This keeps me from buying extra "snack" foods that I end up eating mindlessly.

I start in produce... usually I get things like apples, pears, strawberries, bananas, pineapple, etc. and for veggies- a few varieties of lettuce for salads, bell peppers, tomatoes, avocados, carrots, celery, corn, squash, etc.

Dairy... I always get non-fat milk (this is what I drink), and almond milk (for cereal or shakes), eggs, non-fat or low-fat yogurt, and cheese. I allow myself cheese in small amounts because it's delicious :)

Meat... I read the ads beforehand to see what meat is on sale, look for recipes for sale stuff, then buy sale stuff. i.e.- pork tenderloin is on sale, that's what I get. In general though, I try and keep some lean ground turkey, chicken breasts, and fish filets in the freezer for emergencies, and a couple fresh meats when I know I'll have time to cook. I buy stuff at costco then wrap in individual freezer packs for easy access.

Other staples I always keep around are- steel cut oats, regular oats, cans of tuna and salmon (great to throw on salads for protein), a healthy cereal (like Kashi or even Cheerios), cans of tomatoes and tomato paste, canned beans, bags of mixed frozen veggies (throw with chicken breast to make a quick stir-fry), bags of frozen berries (mix in yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies, defrost for dessert), and then frozen meats like I described above.

I'd recommend checking out a local farmer's market too, that will give you lots of ideas for healthy foods you might not have tried. The people who staff the markets are another great resource and are always happy to share recipes.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Neal's Yard Omega Seed Mix
    Pears
    Blueberries
    Apples
    Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt
    Pb2
    Salmon
    Trout
    Wholegrain Rice
    Sweet Potatoes
    Quinoa
    85% Dark Chocolate
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Mushrooms
    Carrots
    Organix Apple Rice Cakes.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    We're forever picking up more lettuce and chicken breast. That's pretty much the staple food groups. Aside from that, we usually get:
    -swai (frozen)
    -fruit of some sort (usually watermelon)
    -a small bottle of milk
    -mushrooms
    -garlic
    -frozen veggies (peas, broccoli, spinach)
    -cabbage/brussels sprouts
    -yogurt
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Fresh veggies, fresh fruit, meat.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    ALLLLLLLLLLLL THE FRUITS AND VEGGIES. legit. just anything that looks tasty that i can purchase LOL.

plus ezekiel bread, 12-grain tortillas, avocados, frozen veggies (specifically broccoli and cauliflower mix), fish -- trout and salmon particularly. shrimp. kamut noodles.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Agree with th others....

Greek yoghurt (plain)
    Eggs
    Almonds (raw)
    Oats
    Organic meats and poultry
    Dried and fresh fruit
    LOADS of veg!!!
    New potatoes
    This sounds like my staples, except for the dried fruits(they contain loads of sugar) and Sweet potatoes are better than potatoes. I also buy brown rice, steel cut oats, and egg whites. If possible, try sprouted grain bread(in the organic freezer) its better than regular whole grain or wheat.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 177 Member
    I am very, very basic:

Eggs
    Bananas
    Whole grain bread
    Greek yoghurts
    Special K protein shakes
    Peanut butter
    (White wine... heh)
    Water
    Diet green tea
    Diet peach tea
    Oatmeal
    Dried fruit mixes

That is pretty much the staple of what I eat in the evenings.