CARBS!!!! UGH! What is the TRUTH?!!!?!?!?!?!!

Options

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    So... 100g of Carb is 400 cals...
    If I burn those 400 cals... amd the glycogen store are depleted... what is used for energy next?
    (PLEASE say fat)

Fat.

Maximum calories stored in carbohydrate form is perhaps 2000 (500g). Just one pound of fat has well over 3000 calories, so fat is the body's energy reserve and what powers you when the short terms supply of carbs has gone.

You can live and thrive without carbohydrate, but there are fats you can't get other than by eating, and protein has to be eaten to sustain our organs and muscles- hence less calories = less carbs for many.

If you graze on carbs all day your blood insulin will be elevated and this inhibits release of fat from storage tissues. If I'm looking to lose fat I prefer to maximise the chances of doing it by avoiding this effect.
    \\

what this person said!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    has the original poster shot herself in the face yet after reading all this?!

*SMH*
  • MzTat2slim
    MzTat2slim Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't limited my carb in take per say. I stick strictly to calorie alotment for the day and have been able to consisitantly lose weight.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I don't limit them, just stick with the good ones in fruits and veggies and whole grain breads and pastas. Carbs are fuel for the body and the complex ones are the ones you want.

I haven't restricted them at all and have lost weight and don't need to worry about gaining the weight back like most low carb-ers seem to have to do.
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Every body is different. I eat like 60% carbs and still have lost a lot of weight. I don't think there's a formula to weight loss. Eat what you need, cut what you don't, work out and you'll get there.
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you've no metabolic disorders (diabetes, thyroid issues) it is the case that, basically, an excess of food whether fat, carb or protein will lead to a increase in body fat. The ease of use for the energy contained in your food is dependent upon where the calories come from, we as an animal are designed to get the majority of our energy from carbs as they are easier for our body to work with, usually.

It is wrong to think that fat is a result of more calories in than is burnt per day. Some studies tend to suggest that you need to look at the balance over a time period such as a week however this approach ignores the refined/complex carbohydrate problem; counting calories is misleading and occasionally referred to as the 'bathtub' approach (calories in = energy burnt - stasis, calories in > energy burnt - weight gain, calories in < energy burnt - weight loss). to simplify; I get my daily energy from fruit, veg, meat and nuts, my friend gets the sme calories from eating a bag of sugar a day - who gets fat? regardless of who gets scurvy, diarrhoea!

Our intake of refined carbs (and fat too) stimulate insulin release that tells our body to store extra calories flooding in as fat for when the extra calories may not be readily available. COmplex carbs and most proteins get digested slowly and don't really cause an insulin 'spike', you stay feeling full for longer and won't build fatty tissues so easily. Your body also will tend to burning your fat reserves sooner when you are hungry.

As has been suggested earlier, eat healthily and do some exercise and you will get healthier and slimmer. Don't aim for too great a change as this will be the result of too radical a lifestyle change taht won't be sustainable. Small changes become habits which will lead to consistent gradual and (hopefully) long term improvements. More importantly enjoy what you are doing, otherwise you won't keep doing it.
  • Kathrynm87103
    Options
    I am not a dietician by any means, but when I went to see one, she told me to watch my cards. Don’t eat more than 60 cards per meal and have two snacks and don’t go over 15 carbs. She said not to pay too close attention to calories but to really watch my carbs. I guess it all depends on which trainer or dietician your talking to. :smile:
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    has the original poster shot herself in the face yet after reading all this?!

*SMH*

Almost!
  • hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What is the secret if you have PCOS?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Although science is catching up on seeing the benefits of low carb dieting, it is still generally looked upon as an unhealthy diet method.. including here on MFP. There are a few different approaches to low carb dieting. One being you limit your carbs to about 20 per day, starting out; this would be your ketosis type diets where your body burns its own fat instead of from what you feed it (Atkins for example), so calorie counting is not necessary. Others go up to as many as 150 per day for maintenance, where calorie counting is still very important.

After seeing the variety of confused advice on the other thread in today's forums, I would suggest doing some independent research. Low carb dieting is very unforgiving if you don't stick with it.. strictly. Do your research, then customize your MFP goals to meet your preferences if it's something you think is right for you.

In the past, I have lost a bunch of weight this way, but I am not recommending, or discouraging, a low carb diet. I won't be doing it again, for personal reasons. Also, there are groups here on MFP that specifically advocate using the low carb method of weight loss and welcome newcomers.

Here's one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5268-atkins-support-group
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Ok... I need some valid and correct information. Everyone and every thing is contradictory! And it is pissing me off!!!!

My understanding was this... and it very well could be wrong. If you eat carbs... and they are not used for energy(fuel)... then they are stored. and become fat.
    Therefore the less carbs you eat... still provided you are giving your body some fuel... then your body turns to the stored fat for energy... Thats what makes fat loss.

So, today, after having my RMR tested. See Post here...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/596623-i-had-my-rmr-tested-here-is-what-it-said
    ...The "fitness professional" asks me how I am eating... I told her mostly clean... and lower carbs. No processed breads...mostly fruit, veg, sweet potatos and lots of meat. ..etc..... about 25-40% carb... 30-40% protein and remainder fat..nothing exact just lower carb.
    She says I need to eat about 50-60% carb. That is what will make me lose the fat.
    Also increases energy. They should be whole grains... rice, quinoa, couscous... etc. Which all seems "processed" to me.

So, whats the truth about carbs?

Edit to add....

Since I have been cutting grains out of my diet... like breads and beans crackers EVEN!... I have been less bloated and gassy.... and when I happen to have some of those things... Dude... watch out!!

I need to formula for fat burning majic!...

You have a lot of great advice here. I recommend reading the book The Wheat Belly. Some people are just more sensitive to wheat than other's. I know that since I took it completely out of my diet I experience no gas, bloating etc. I don't even get any monthly weight gain anymore and that used to be up to 10 lbs!!!

My advice is do what works for your body. There is a lot of science that can confuse you, but if you know your body reacts to certain products just don't consume them!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Although science is catching up on seeing the benefits of low carb dieting, it is still generally looked upon as an unhealthy diet method.. including here on MFP. There are a few different approaches to low carb dieting. One being you limit your carbs to about 20 per day, starting out; this would be your ketosis type diets where your body burns its own fat instead of from what you feed it (Atkins for example), so calorie counting is not necessary. Others go up to as many as 150 per day for maintenance, where calorie counting is still very important.

So what happens to the food that you feed to your body?
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Carbs store glycogen in the muscles, and muscles will use that source of energy since it's easier that converting it from fat. So therefore people think, avoid carbs and the body will burn fat. Here's the rub -- the muscles don't really deplete their glycogen levels unless you are an endurance athlete. So, if you are running a marathon and want to avoid muscle collapse 20 miles in, you're going to want to have extra carbs in your diet. But this doesn't seem apply for "normal people".

For normal folks who have low-to-moderate activity lives and do a little cardio each day, the formula seems a lot simpler -- move more (in any way) and eat less (of all foods) and you'll lose fat (and lean mass which you can't help)!

For me, eating sugary carbs triggers urges to eat more and more of them, whereas eating protein, fat and whole grain carbs don't, so the best fat loss strategy for me personally is to really watch those sugars so I don't exceed my calories. So 30% carbs, 30% fat, 40% protein is awesome at controlling my eating. For friends, 40% or 50% carbs feels good, they can control their eating urges. In either case, if you drop your calories and move your butt, you'll lose fat!
  • nheilweil
    nheilweil Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BTW --

As someone who suffered from IBS, bloating, gas, indigestion problems my whole life, I cut out all dairy and wheat and have no symptoms any more. Completely gone so I must have been very allergic and not known it. I only mention because you could try eliminating wheat from your diet and seeing if your symptoms improve or not.

No one else in my family (my kids) has this and not bashing wheat -- but no wheat & milk for me made amazing differences in how I feel!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Calories Consumed < Calories Burned = Weight Loss

Too often we try to make things too complicated. The above is the answer. Don't get me wrong, I believe when I eat a carb rich diet that I tend to consume more calories, and it's a gateway for me to overeat. But again, this is a "micro-economic" view point. The "macro-economic" viewpoint is the above equation. Burn more calories than you consumer on a regular basis, and over time you will lose weight. In short, do more, eat less.

You don't need HCG or HGC or whatever the latest fad is, you need to work out hard, and eat quality food to replenish your body in amounts that are slightly less that what you've burned - the weight will come off. If it's not - then work harder, eat smarter. Best of luck.

All of this.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Carbs store glycogen in the muscles, and muscles will use that source of energy since it's easier that converting it from fat. So therefore people think, avoid carbs and the body will burn fat. Here's the rub -- the muscles don't really deplete their glycogen levels unless you are an endurance athlete. So, if you are running a marathon and want to avoid muscle collapse 20 miles in, you're going to want to have extra carbs in your diet. But this doesn't seem apply for "normal people".

For normal folks who have low-to-moderate activity lives and do a little cardio each day, the formula seems a lot simpler -- move more (in any way) and eat less (of all foods) and you'll lose fat (and lean mass which you can't help)!

For me, eating sugary carbs triggers urges to eat more and more of them, whereas eating protein, fat and whole grain carbs don't, so the best fat loss strategy for me personally is to really watch those sugars so I don't exceed my calories. So 30% carbs, 30% fat, 40% protein is awesome at controlling my eating. For friends, 40% or 50% carbs feels good, they can control their eating urges. In either case, if you drop your calories and move your butt, you'll lose fat!

Exactly why I don't base carb consumption around weight lifting, only aerobic activity. Bodybuilders/weight lifters seem to have this belief that weight lifting is soo taxing that they deplete their glycogen and must replenish it immediately when in fact endurance athletes are the only one's who are capable of glycogen depletion. This is why endurance athletes eat so freakin' many carbs compared to everyone else...they simply burn more calories through aerobic activity.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Carbs will be stored if not used, but not directly as fat. They will be stored as glycogen to use next, but if not used then say hello to some new fat rolls
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

So what happens to the food that you feed to your body?

Mostly, it comes out the other end? When your body doesn't have carbs for energy it converts its own fat. I just know it works. There's probably a lot more going on that we don't know about and that's why I have chosen not to lose weight this way again. I may reconsider down the line when the scientific community starts delving in deep. Most of the negative data out there is knee-jerk reactions to what the experts THINK should happen if you eat a diet low in carbs and high in fat/protein.

Edit: @ grinch
    I know it's natural to be skeptical, but when I was on the low carb diet, about 15-20 years ago, I ate high fat ground beef smothered with melted cheese and dipped in sour cream (catsup is high carb). I ate at least 5000-7000 calories per day and still lost weight rapidly. Your body just doesn't see what you eat as useable energy.
  • 247momma
    247momma Posts: 14
    Options
    This. EXACTLY this....all of it... :smile:
    MY truth, and I am not a nutritionist or a scientist or anyone else important, is that until I cut the carbs, I couldn't lose an ounce. My body had no idea how to use fat as fuel. Since I eat under 20g carbs a day, my body is re-learning how to fuel itself. I have never felt better, or stronger, and I'm losing weight.

But be prepared for the amount of drama this thread is going to cause. :)

Yep, yep, yep to both. I'm in agreement. I couldn't lose a thing while just cutting calories. I'm now gluten free/grain free and taking in my 20% carbs from low glycemic vegetables and those are the only carbs I eat. I'm actually also about 50% fat and 30% protien and still losing! READ: Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism by Maria Emmerich... Life Changer!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This Thread = Me Doing This EVERY TIME

1253885876_suicide.gif

I am an insulin dependent diabetic and my nutritionist has me on 130g to 150g carbs a day, instead of the normal 300g. But less than 100g sounds too low to me.

http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/nutritional/carbs.php

http://www.fao.org/docrep/W8079E/w8079e07.htm

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.