Exercises that burn a lot of calories in short time

Options
Hey guys I was just wondering does anyone know any fab exercises that can burn calories quick? :smile: I've ended up eating 300+ over my calorie goal for today - but dayyuumm was it worth it, feel so much better think I might be restricting my food too much -.-' BUT I would quite like to knock that red down to green before the day's over and just take today as a learning curve that I maybe upping both my calories and exercise will make me less snappy and moody.

So if anyone knows any good exercises, preferably that I could do in the house, I would really appreciate it!

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I think it's Swimming! BRB...I will check my notes
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic recommends 30 to 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a day. This can help control and lose weight, prevent heart disease, build strength and increase fitness. With so many choices, many people wonder which exercises burn the most calories. Below is a listing of the top exercises and the amount of calories burned in 1 hour by an average 160-lb. person (people who weigh less will burn fewer calories and those who weigh more will burn more).

Running
    Running is the best exercise you can do to burn the most calories. If you are running at an 8 mph pace (7 1/2-minute miles), you can burn 986 calories in 1 hour. If you add hills or sprints, you can burn even more calories.

Rollerblading
    While rollerblading became popular in the 1980s, it still ranks among the highest calorie burners. A 1-hour session can burn 913 calories.

Tae Kwon Do
    This is a total body workout, building cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, movement, coordination and muscular strength. A 1-hour session burns 730 calories.

Jump Rope
    Many people jumped rope as a kid, but incorporating it into your regular fitness routine can burn 730 calories in 1 hour. One hour may be too much jumping, so you can break this down to 10 minutes and still burn 122 calories.

Stair Climber
    If you have enough resistance on the machine, using a stair climber can burn 657 calories in 1 hour, as well as build your lower-body strength.

Jogging
    While running fast burns more calories, a slower jog at a 5 mph pace (12-minute miles) can still burn 584 calories in an hour. Long, slow runs are great for burning fat, too.

Basketball and Football
    A friendly game with friends can burn up to 584 calories an hour. Exercising with friends tends to make the time go by faster and motivate you to work harder, too.

Swimming
    Swimming is a great total body workout because it uses nearly all muscles in the body. Virtually all strokes will increase your cardio and muscular fitness, while burning up to 511 calories an hour. It's also non-impact, so it's safe and effective for your joints.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/18777-cardio-workout-burns-calories/#ixzz1usEqYBXw
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Jump rope, go for a walk, dance around like a crazy person...the options are endless, just move around! :-D
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You could just do stepping on and off the bottom stair (or a pile of books....so you can watch the telly) 30/35 minutes should be enough to sort your calories today :)
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope. Running. Running in place. Jumping jacks. burpees.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    hoovering and other housework!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic recommends 30 to 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a day. This can help control and lose weight, prevent heart disease, build strength and increase fitness. With so many choices, many people wonder which exercises burn the most calories. Below is a listing of the top exercises and the amount of calories burned in 1 hour by an average 160-lb. person (people who weigh less will burn fewer calories and those who weigh more will burn more).

Running
    Running is the best exercise you can do to burn the most calories. If you are running at an 8 mph pace (7 1/2-minute miles), you can burn 986 calories in 1 hour. If you add hills or sprints, you can burn even more calories.

Rollerblading
    While rollerblading became popular in the 1980s, it still ranks among the highest calorie burners. A 1-hour session can burn 913 calories.

Tae Kwon Do
    This is a total body workout, building cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, movement, coordination and muscular strength. A 1-hour session burns 730 calories.

Jump Rope
    Many people jumped rope as a kid, but incorporating it into your regular fitness routine can burn 730 calories in 1 hour. One hour may be too much jumping, so you can break this down to 10 minutes and still burn 122 calories.

Stair Climber
    If you have enough resistance on the machine, using a stair climber can burn 657 calories in 1 hour, as well as build your lower-body strength.

Jogging
    While running fast burns more calories, a slower jog at a 5 mph pace (12-minute miles) can still burn 584 calories in an hour. Long, slow runs are great for burning fat, too.

Basketball and Football
    A friendly game with friends can burn up to 584 calories an hour. Exercising with friends tends to make the time go by faster and motivate you to work harder, too.

Swimming
    Swimming is a great total body workout because it uses nearly all muscles in the body. Virtually all strokes will increase your cardio and muscular fitness, while burning up to 511 calories an hour. It's also non-impact, so it's safe and effective for your joints.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/18777-cardio-workout-burns-calories/#ixzz1usEqYBXw

Sorry...I almost spit out my drink that it quotes running at 8 mph! Dang I'm slow....but I agree that I get a great burn from running. Even at 4.5 to 5 mph.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Running really fast....go for a quick run!
    Jumping rope!
    Climbing the stairs...

bodyrock.tv <-- Lots of 12min high intensity interval exercise videos - FREE! Burpees, mountain climbers, thrust jumps, etc.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Running, calisthenics and jumping rope.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you're fortunate enough to have access to a treadmill, you could do some walking or jogging with incline. That can burn lots of calories, and it's great for the thighs and butt!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    ZUMBA!

Just youtube some zumba workouts do about 30 minutes and you will be green.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics - situps, pushups, jumping jacks, jogging in place, jumprope. The more muscles you move, the more calories you're gonna burn. There's an entry for vigorous calisthenics in the cardio database, though I'd only count the time you are actually really working out really vigorously and maybe cut the calories it reports by about 1/3 or so.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Stair Climber

This thing is a relic at most gyms but it's a beast of a work out for sure!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eliptical machines are very time efficient. Zumba (I can't dance to save my life) is supposed to be an excellent calorie burner as well.

No equipment or Wii(XBox) games at home (?) I do Walk At Home DVDs - normally I can burn 100 calories in 15 minutes (light handweights ... lots of arms) .... You could bump this up to a full jog (instead of walking) Here's a Youtube clip ... you could string a few together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLrx-F84VE&amp;feature=related
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

NOT!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

NOT!

I was kidding!!!! ha ha ha
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Because I have been running for a while, i surprisingly don't burn a lot of calories (pisses me off sometimes) as much as I do compared to Zumba.

I burn a lot with dancing and kickboxing.
  • koolmum
    koolmum Posts: 39
    Options
    Tabata burpees. Tabata tuck jumps. Tabata jumping jacks. Tabata speed skaters.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Tabata burpees. Tabata tuck jumps. Tabata jumping jacks. Tabata speed skaters.

YESS!!!!!