Junk food.

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with a bowl of ice cream every day. I measured out 1/4 cup (that's half a serving) at the end of the day and ate it very slowly to enjoy every bite. This adds about 90 calories to the day - so I had to have those calories to spare. Knowing the ice cream was waiting in the freezer kept me from going for the chips in the middle of the day!

Breakfast choices: whole grain cereal with skim milk (avoid the sugary kinds); fried egg with bread (one or two of each); hot cereal like oatmeal or creamy wheat.

Lunches: sandwich on whole wheat bread (mustard, no mayo); home made chef's salad; soup; boiled egg with yogurt.

Dinner: moderate amount of meat with lots of veggies (like baked chicken or roast beef); moderate amount of spaghetti; rice with gravy; lots of choices it's hard to list them all.

Just some ideas :wink:
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You might want to try out buying your own ice cream maker and make frozen yogurt/sherbert yourself. There are plenty of low calorie recipes if you look around, and this gives you more control over what you want in it. I like a lot of big chunks of fruit in my frozen yogurt but the stuff in stores doesn't do that. And you can have fun and make your own flavors. They're not very complicated to make.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I ate a Cadbury Cream Egg. every day. For like 2 months. And I consistently lost weight. BUT, like my friend Lucky ^ me says, I worked for it, or I made VERY healthy/low cal choices otherwise, in order to stay in a deficit. Cream egg season is over, but beer season is here! I make it fit...you can too if you REALLY want it. Modifying your choice of treat is also an excellent idea, and also already mentioned.
    Damn it. Now I want a cream egg. And a beer.:laugh:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Know thyself. Think about what your behaviors are, and what is driving those behaviors.

For me, not keeping any "bad" groceries in my house helped tremendously. One day I threw all the bad stuff out. I can afford a one time waste of 60 bucks in groceries, but I couldn't afford what was happening to my health.

I still eat anything I want, but something like ice cream I will get only at a restaurant. I'll "save up" calories for a treat like that. It's logged like anything else. This requires more thought, planning, and effort to eat it. It gives me more opportunity to decide not to eat it. It creates a situation where I win 9/10 days, instead of losing everyday.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Too much Sugar!!
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I ate a Cadbury Cream Egg. every day. For like 2 months. And I consistently lost weight. BUT, like my friend Lucky ^ me says, I worked for it, or I made VERY healthy/low cal choices otherwise, in order to stay in a deficit. Cream egg season is over, but beer season is here! I make it fit...you can too if you REALLY want it. Modifying your choice of treat is also an excellent idea, and also already mentioned.
    Damn it. Now I want a cream egg. And a beer.:laugh:

CRAP!!! Now I want a Creme Egg. They are my favorite Easter treat!!! GRRRR
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you need to have a bowl of ice cream every night you are approaching this the wrong way. You need to have treats, not a staple diet of crap.

I eat a pint of ice cream, yes an entire pint, every single night. You have no idea what you're talking about. It's a nutrionally valid food if you plan for it. EVERY NIGHT.

-M
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    If you completely deprive yourself, you will fail. I still have pizza every Friday night. I have some ice cream now and then. I buy ice cream that is 100 calories and it's great. BUT, I always eat within my calories and I exercise 6-7 days every week and have since January. You can do it!!
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In spite of all the confusing information that bombards us it really all boils down to calories in, calories out. It has been scientifically proven to lose weight you must have less than your body needs and to gain you need more. You can honestly lose weight eating nothing but ice cream and junk food all day long IF you don't exceed the calories you need BUT... junk food is a poor substitute for your body to function properly. Real food provides all the heathy vitamins, and nutrients that keep your body strong and healthy.

Once you figure out what calories you need to maintain your current weight you will know how much needs to be reduced to lose. For me I don't have many calories to budget with so I rarely choose to waste them on pure junk. However, like a previous poster said you need to enjoy the foods you eat and having the occasional treat isn't a huge problem. Ice cream might not be a perfect low calories dish but it is a dairy and does provide some nutrition. If you don't ever deprive yourself of things you want a little will be plenty.
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    If you need to have a bowl of ice cream every night you are approaching this the wrong way. You need to have treats, not a staple diet of crap.

I eat a pint of ice cream, yes an entire pint, every single night. You have no idea what you're talking about. It's a nutrionally valid food if you plan for it. EVERY NIGHT.

-M
    Now r u still losing weight with that pint? I just love my ice cream and just can't give it up. But anything else I will!
  • magerum
    Options

-M
    Now r u still losing weight with that pint? I just love my ice cream and just can't give it up. But anything else I will!

Yes I lost weight with ice cream as a staple. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Granted when I was eating 1200 - 1400 a day I only ate 1/2 pint, but with my exercise and the rest of my diet I lose @3100 calories. For the last month I've cut my cardio from 7 days a week to 3 days a week, eating 3100 calories a day and I've dropped 3.5 lbs. I'm not trying to lose any more though so more adustments are needed. I promise my pint (2 cups) a day probably isn't going anywhere until I decide to cut again, at which point I'll just scaled it back to 1.5 cups instead of 2. Just work the fat, protein, & sugar into your equation. If you're worried about sugar, go for the no sugar added variety, they're pretty good!

-M

-M
  • magerum
    Options
    Triple chocolate peanut butter sundae by Dreyer's is awesome! FYI
  • mrsejennings
    mrsejennings Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Some people make icecream with thier protein shakes!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Ice cream? Yup. I have it regularly. And pizza. And burgers. Bacon. Whatever. Just make it fit. The only unhealthy food is the one eaten in excess.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    I buy something like weightwatcherws or skinny cow icecream and limit it to ONE bar a night that way I get my icecream and feel good that most my calories went to food while a little went to that treat.

But one a night is enough to do damage.

Uh ... that's crazy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    <

Eats cookies EVERY single day. Big cookies, medium cookies, little cookies.. chocolate chip, peanut butter, lemon.. .cookies, cookies, cookies!

I've lost nearly 60lbs and kept it off for almost 2 years. As long as the majority of what you eat is healthy, a reasonably sized bowl of ice cream every night WON'T hurt you!
  • SGRhapsodos
    SGRhapsodos Posts: 47
    Options
    Why not have it once or twice a week? I just had one, so don't listen to me, but.... Completely depriving yourself leads to bingeing.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Too much Sugar!!

Only if you have diabetes.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine if you like ice cream! Everyone has a favorite food that they like to indulge in, now a days though they have all of the double churned lower calorie options, and they taste just the same. I also like to experiment adding my own flavoring into the fat free vanilla frozen yogurt, I made my own lite Chunky Monkey ice cream once. And there are also weight watchers ice cream bars and skinny cow single serving cups. Even sugar free fudgesicles are a calorie bargin. This is a lifestyle change, so omitting your favorite foods is out of the question! Just switch it up a bit.

(btw I am a french fry lover and hungry girl made the butternut squash swap! It's so worth it, I wouldn't give them up either)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Magnum (http://www.magnumicecream.com/) has these AWESOME mini ice cream bars. 160 cals, real ice cream, belgian chocolate DELICIOUS.
    I also just tried (as in... 10 minutes ago) Ben and Jerry's Greek yogurt, it's delicious... a little higher calorie than some other yogurts (200 cals per 1/2 cup), but really really, good. As good as ice cream (and I take that seriously). I don't have ice cream every day, but I have a real dessert of some sort about 2 times a week (sometimes I split it with my husband).

Just about every day I have at least 1 small piece of chocolate... if I am going to do this for the rest of my life... then sometimes ice cream, or chips, or french fries are part what I eat. I just really try to not go over calories TOO often.