What to eat at Subway...

Options
SamiRose
SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
Hey everyone! So I work next door to a Subway. During our employee lunch breaks EVERYONE, but me, eats there. Theres a few reasons; one, I would rather pack my own food and know for sure what I'm eating...and two, it's money that I'd rather not spend.

Whats a good thing to order at subway? I love veggies on my sandwich!! but I hate Olives! ICK!!!

I also want something that's cheap!

I love wheat bread....but I know theres other things than sub there...whats some options that I can try?!

Replies

• czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    i love the sweet onion chicken teriyaki sub. no cheese, any veggies you like, a six inch is in the 370 calories neighborhood.

sooo tasty.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love ham and cheese

just get ham cheese mustrad and any veggies you want and its super low cal while still giving you lots of protein

i am also partial to the oven roasted chicken breast, it is ridiculously good

stay away from the creamier dressings
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i love ham and cheese

just get ham cheese mustrad and any veggies you want and its super low cal while still giving you lots of protein

i am also partial to the oven roasted chicken breast, it is ridiculously good

stay away from the creamier dressings
    thats what i used to get,,,,except i wouldnt even get the cheese because i would want a bag of baked chips :embarassed:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    no to hijack the topic, but wow, loathsome, I LOVE those shoes in your avatar picture.... soooo cute!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I like the club salad. They just put the fixin's on a salad. It's very filling to me.
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options
    I LOVE SUBWAY!

Here is a link to their nutrition facts if you want to plan what to get:

http://www.shapefit.com/subway.html
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    i went one time with my son and i got the tuna on whole wheat thinking it was a good choice...come home and log it in...OMG was i upset..its so bad and will never do that again...but now i have some good ones to try..thank you:bigsmile:
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    aww...thanks! I totally forgot they had salads! of-course!
    I'm just so adapted to ordering subs!
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    I LOVE SUBWAY!

off topic but the dog in the wig is awesome HAHAHA
    it almost looks human :bigsmile:
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    I LOVE SUBWAY!

off topic but the dog in the wig is awesome HAHAHA
    it almost looks human :bigsmile:

i thought the same thing..it put a smile on my face...:bigsmile:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have a friend that worked at Subway for 6 years throughout part of high school and part of college, and she told me (and I've never forgotten this!) that the wheat bread at Subway is actually white bread that is dyed a brown-ish color:noway: . At first I didn't believe her, because I would imagine Subway could get in big trouble for that, but a while back I ordered a sub on wheat bread and there was a huge white spot it in where there was no dye:noway: . So, it appears as though this could be the case! I still get wheat when I'm there, as I'd like to think there is no way it could be true, but I've just always remembered that. Anyone know for sure?
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    i really like the turkey breast on whole wheat, with mustard and cheese and whatever veggies you like... its around 350 calories for a 6 inch =)
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    I have a friend that worked at Subway for 6 years throughout part of high school and part of college, and she told me (and I've never forgotten this!) that the wheat bread at Subway is actually white bread that is dyed a brown-ish color:noway: . At first I didn't believe her, because I would imagine Subway could get in big trouble for that, but a while back I ordered a sub on wheat bread and there was a huge white spot it in where there was no dye:noway: . So, it appears as though this could be the case! I still get wheat when I'm there, as I'd like to think there is no way it could be true, but I've just always remembered that. Anyone know for sure?
    The FDA requires that bread advertised as whole wheat bread now be made with real, 100% whole wheat flour. So, Subway's whole wheat bread is real whole wheat, not dyed white flour.
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options

I don't know but they also have a 9-whole grain bread and you can see the different grains not ground up all the way in the bread ... so maybe get that one to make sure you are getting real whole grain and not dye.

PS Thanks everybody - I love that puppy picture!!
  • christahollis
    Options
    Veggie delight, no cheese, all the way (and you pick your veggies...so no worries about those pesky olives!)
    Lower in calories than other sandwich choices, AND the italian bread is vegan, and for the vegan who's not picky about honey, so is the wheat).
    It's one of the $5 footlongs, so cheap too.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I doubt that is true. They have so many different types of bread, what would even be the point of dyeing white bread? The asiago cheese bread definitely isn't white bread with orange dye on top.

Besides, I really don't care for wheat but I eat it because it's better for me. So if the wheat were just white bread dyed brown, I would certainly like the taste more.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Try the honey oat bread if you don't want wheat. Its great! Subway is a GOOD choice, I don't know why you are scared!

Rule of thumb- stay away from heavy sandwhiches for ex: tuna (drenched in MAYO!) or meatball sub (I don't know what is in those meatballs!)

I go with either the club, turkey, or oven roasted chicken breast.
    They are all really good with spinach on them, just make sure to skip the mayo since your not actually putting it on yourself. And load it up with veggies (you get to tell them what you want, so I promise they won't sneak olives on!)

They even have yogurt and apple slices if you want to make it a meal.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Try the honey oat bread if you don't want wheat. Its great! Subway is a GOOD choice, I don't know why you are scared!

Rule of thumb- stay away from heavy sandwhiches for ex: tuna (drenched in MAYO!) or meatball sub (I don't know what is in those meatballs!)

I go with either the club, turkey, or oven roasted chicken breast.
    They are all really good with spinach on them, just make sure to skip the mayo since your not actually putting it on yourself. And load it up with veggies (you get to tell them what you want, so I promise they won't sneak olives on!)

They even have yogurt and apple slices if you want to make it a meal.

subway doesn't have spinach...or does it?
  • Bella_Luna
    Options
    I usually get the turkey breast on honey oat with spinach, cucumber, tomato, and honey mustard dressing. I used to get it without cheese but now I always get the pepperjack too. :blushing: I just love Pepperjack too much, but if you skip the cheese it brings the calorie count down. Also, stay away from the mayo and the fatty meats like pepperoni, bacon, and salami, and yellow cheese (and forget the American cheese which I wouldn't even consider actual cheese). Stick to lean meats and pile on the veggies. Most of their sauces are low calorie and no fat (my beloved honey mustard is 30 cals and fat free, and the sweet onion sauce is as well). Stay away from the ranch and chipotle southwest sauce. Anything creamy is sure to be high fat and high in calories. Subway is actually one of your better choices for fast food, so I say go and enjoy!
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Maybe it depends on where you live, but in CO all of the Subways have spinach! There was a salmonella scare a while back and they stopped- but they have it everywhere now!