What to eat at Subway...

Options
2»

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Maybe it depends on where you live, but in CO all of the Subways have spinach! There was a salmonella scare a while back and they stopped- but they have it everywhere now!
    im in canada...i will have to ask next time i am there. they don't have it visible, but that is the same with jalepenos. and i asked if they had them and they were under the counter. so next time ill ask, that is so stellar, i love spinach!!! im totally gonna do a spinach and roasted chicken sub...mmmm.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I have a friend that worked at Subway for 6 years throughout part of high school and part of college, and she told me (and I've never forgotten this!) that the wheat bread at Subway is actually white bread that is dyed a brown-ish color:noway: . At first I didn't believe her, because I would imagine Subway could get in big trouble for that, but a while back I ordered a sub on wheat bread and there was a huge white spot it in where there was no dye:noway: . So, it appears as though this could be the case! I still get wheat when I'm there, as I'd like to think there is no way it could be true, but I've just always remembered that. Anyone know for sure?

I used to work at Subway...A total of two years, I believe. The wheat bread is not dyed brown. It is actually wheat bread. Trust me. When I was back in the back doing vegetable prep, I had nothing better to do than read the labels on the boxes that the bread was stored in (I really hated working there) and the first ingredient listed was wheat flour. I'm 99% certain that there wasn't anything in there about dyes or colorings.

As far as the white spot in the bread, well I have no idea what could have happened. Air bubbles, poor proofing, or it not being baked correctly and thoroughly can cause the bread to appear lighter in color than if it was done the right way.

My favorite meal at Subway? Six inch turkey on wheat with veggies, pepper jack cheese, and vinegar. With Baked Lays (only if I've been a really good little girl).
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    6" Veggie delight no cheese, no sauce on whole wheat. 230 Cals

Yum Yum
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    when you make bread, you use extra flour to roll the dough around in, so that it can be kneaded. sometimes a little clump of flour gets incorporated into the dough, and then when you bake it, there is a little spot of white in there. it is harmless and has no reflection on the kind of flour used to make the bread with. I'm pretty confident that wheat=wheat flour. otherwise it would have the same consistency as the white bread.
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually get 6" chicken breast, I like the white bread and dont normally eat it so I go for it when I do eat Subway.

6" chicken breast on White
    no cheese
    All the veggies except, bell peppers and for sure spinach (in Colorado)
    non fat Honey Mustard
    350 cals

We have this once a week. Let me tell you I used to have a 12" Spicey Italian with provolone and a bag of Doritos....I dont know what kind of cals that had but I know it was not good.

I have left most fast food behind, but with my families schedule it works for us.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have a friend that worked at Subway for 6 years throughout part of high school and part of college, and she told me (and I've never forgotten this!) that the wheat bread at Subway is actually white bread that is dyed a brown-ish color:noway: . At first I didn't believe her, because I would imagine Subway could get in big trouble for that, but a while back I ordered a sub on wheat bread and there was a huge white spot it in where there was no dye:noway: . So, it appears as though this could be the case! I still get wheat when I'm there, as I'd like to think there is no way it could be true, but I've just always remembered that. Anyone know for sure?

I used to work at Subway...A total of two years, I believe. The wheat bread is not dyed brown. It is actually wheat bread. Trust me. When I was back in the back doing vegetable prep, I had nothing better to do than read the labels on the boxes that the bread was stored in (I really hated working there) and the first ingredient listed was wheat flour. I'm 99% certain that there wasn't anything in there about dyes or colorings.

Phew!! Good to know- like I said, it sounded strange to me, but it was just one of those things that I could never quite get out of my head... thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about loading with vegetables and I'm so jealous. I am just a vegetable hater from way back.

I get the 4" fit on wheat bread/ham/no cheese/black olives/lettuce/and a little honey mustard. I used to get the light mayo but saw how much fat was in it still. I also get the baked lays.

Good Luck, there are so many great choices at Subway. :drinker:
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i know this sounds so simple but its so good and i get it everytime i go
    wheat bread
    six inch
    turkey
    no cheese
    lettuce
    pickles
    and hunny mustard (its fat free)
  • mikejdeleon85
    mikejdeleon85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    make sure u scoop out all the extra bread save you some calories and sugar spikes
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like.

Generally speaking it is all pretty much the same ... the processed meats will all be high in sodium, the creamy dressings will have more fat in them than the oil based ones, etc.

My usual is a foot long club on herb & cheese, provalone, veg and zesty italian ... and from using the online calculator I know ahead of time this is a heavy sodium load, so I have to be more careful with my other choices for the day.

I wouldnt eat this every day, but I used to eat it once a week, and it didnt kill me.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Why are we reviving 7-year-old threads??
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    7943d1400740830-jungleflasher-no-i-o-ports-found-during-enumeration-win8-x64-867733d1373391202-gravity-fsx-1-0-bikesdirect-com-40346d1374446638-job-offer-zombie_thread-jpg
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    srtakelch wrote: »
    I LOVE SUBWAY!

Here is a link to their nutrition facts if you want to plan what to get:

http://www.shapefit.com/subway.html

This- Decide what you want beforehand and make sure it fits your goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    You can get any sub's ingredients made into a chopped salad. I'm not a bread fanatic, personally consider it mostly a waste of perfectly good calories, so this is perfect for me. (And yes, you still get to pick the veggies.)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I typically go for the 6 " chicken breast or turkey on honey oat with all the vegetable fixings and some sweet onion dressing, no cheese. Have to be careful though, Subway's sandwiches have a crap load of sodium, but so does a lot of restaraunt fair. It's mostly the meat.