Underweight BMI, but still have belly fat...

Options
13»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh more, but be leaner, you won't like this answer, but you should do a bulk/cut cycle. Eat at maintenance + 500 cal and lift heavy (note that enough protein is more than MFP recommends,since you said you are getting enough, I trust it's closer to 30% of your cals). If you do a bulk well, you could probably put on a pound of muscle per month (the other 3 pounds will be fat :( ) then after a few months, lower back down to maintenance -500 while strength training to preserve your new muscles. No lady likes to hear bulk, but the only way to fix belly fat is lower body fat percent. If you don't want to lower weight more, you need more muscle. There's a good article by Lyle macdonald I think it's called "everything you want to know about mass gain" so you can make sure you want to do it and that I haven't mis-remembered anything

I did exactly this. Gained 10lbs. There are before and after pictures in my bio. Haveing trouble losing anything again but that's my own fault due to lack of will-power.

Great pictures... This will keep em motivated, Im really scared though that I'll have that too once I've gained weight again. But oh well, it has to be done!

My problems is that I'm pretty happy with my body, probably happier than I've ever been. Therefore even though I know there's plenty of room for improvement it's hard to care enough to stop eating.
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh more, but be leaner, you won't like this answer, but you should do a bulk/cut cycle. Eat at maintenance + 500 cal and lift heavy (note that enough protein is more than MFP recommends,since you said you are getting enough, I trust it's closer to 30% of your cals). If you do a bulk well, you could probably put on a pound of muscle per month (the other 3 pounds will be fat :( ) then after a few months, lower back down to maintenance -500 while strength training to preserve your new muscles. No lady likes to hear bulk, but the only way to fix belly fat is lower body fat percent. If you don't want to lower weight more, you need more muscle. There's a good article by Lyle macdonald I think it's called "everything you want to know about mass gain" so you can make sure you want to do it and that I haven't mis-remembered anything

I did exactly this. Gained 10lbs. There are before and after pictures in my bio. Haveing trouble losing anything again but that's my own fault due to lack of will-power.

Great pictures... This will keep em motivated, Im really scared though that I'll have that too once I've gained weight again. But oh well, it has to be done!

My problems is that I'm pretty happy with my body, probably happier than I've ever been. Therefore even though I know there's plenty of room for improvement it's hard to care enough to stop eating.

Well that's great! After all this weight i've lost i'm still not very happy. And that is the most important thing. So doesnt matter if it'll take you a bit longer, just enjoy that you feel good about your body now :)
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The BMI scale is a joke.

According to their scale, someone who is 6 feet tall and weighs 225 lbs of solid muscle is considered Obese. Give me a break. Let them go eat their tofu and soy and worry about what some silly scale says.
  • figaru
    figaru Posts: 2
    Options
    omg dont bother you look great already. :)
  • marialolzz
    Options
    I know this is an old post but just wondering if you ever did find the solution?? I'm currently pretty skinny - I can see my ribs and collarbones, it's actually not attractive - but I still have grabbable skin around my stomach that i just DO NOT know how to get rid of! I've been doing the 30 day shred and some pilates everyday, and running about 4/5 times a week but nada!
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    BMI is nonsense.

This, when my bmi was in the healthy range I looked chubby. After gaining 60 lbs and now having a BMI in the obese category I think I look pretty good.
  • ChantalEn
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) That makes sense... Here is a pic..:

es1ffr.jpg

That looks just like my body. But is there a way to keep your body weight ( 1-4 pounds more or less) and loss the belly fat??

I can't believe that there's so many people that likes some belly fat, it took me by surprised.