Bob Harper and The Skinny Rules

Options
13»

Replies

• takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just read the book, and in no way does he say not to eat animal protein. He even says that fish (which is an animal) is the ideal protein. I am not cool that one of his food rules is no potatos, but everything else seemed logical.

xx
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if there's anything you can do to combat flouride in water combatting a bad thyroid? I may be grasping at straws... but dieting and working my butt off in the gym for minimal results.... frustrated.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/a/removefluoride.htm
  • allisonmrichard
    allisonmrichard Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I thought about buying this book but don't want to pony up the dough if it's just going to tell me things that I already know...
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the Dukan.
    What happened to good ole' calories in v calories out?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    just curious, why do you say "soy is garbage"?
    Also, the phytoestrogens in soy can have a harmful effect on the estrogen levels in men and women, causing hormonal imbalances.
    This would be it for me. There have been studies done to show that large amounts of soy protein ingested by males can result in higher estrogen. For men, that could lead to gyno and no man wants man boobs (unless they are purposely trying to get them).

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lbolton2008
    Options
    Bob does not say 'no animal protein.' Look at the recipes he includes. I am already down 6 pounds and I am sold!
  • michaelfurey
    Options
    I was liking the ideas until it got to the "no animal protein".

You need to be eating meat as a main protein source.
    Soy is garbage.

but other than that yes, it's nothing new really. Drink water, and eat protein.

This is crap. You don't "need to be eating" animal protein. You can get all the protein you need from other sources. This is total garbage.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I do not like the point where he said that white rice it terrible for you.

I ate white rice (short grain calrose) every day, twice a day growing up. I graduated high school weighing less than 100 lbs.

Personally, I don't think white rice is as bad as everybody says it is, but that is my own personal opinion, I personally experienced eating it that often, and I wasn't fat. I didn't participate in sports either.

I will still eat soy, and I make sure it's organic.
  • 20minutemom
    Options
    Just read it- AWESOME! (and scary...because turns out I have quite a bit to change :-/ I was in denial). He's not totally anti-animal protein...he suggests eggs, fish, limited meat etc! He is very pro-protein!