Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge Results?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This was a couple weeks before I finished the whole 90 days. I can't remember the exact inches and pounds I lost (I have it written down in a notebook.) but I am on my second round right now.

134513824031832.jpg

Cool.

I managed to get here eating almost double what body by vi recommends without any exercise:
    292108_10151751503605607_2077553503_a.jpg

Then I managed to get here a month later with exercise sometimes eating over double what body by vi recommends:
    535356_10151751503765607_1690500749_a.jpg542074_10151751504035607_74258415_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg
    13599033_3693.jpg
    When eating at rates that body by vi recommended my weight loss slowed down, so I started eating more and volia. I recommend real food and eating a sustainable amount to everyone.

My point being, it's not body by vi giving you the 'good' results. You can get better results without it if you ask me.
  • OnMyWay4
    OnMyWay4 Posts: 264
    Options

I'm with you on this! I hate that some people take the easy way out and believe that it's "life changing!" There is no magic in a low calorie FIX...what happens when people stop drinking it and start eating again?! POOF! You gain it all back! Sorry for being a skeptic to anyone using it but I think it's a bogus way of losing weight! Exercise is a must...just saying!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    One thing to note is that the shakes are made with non organic soy (though I did hear they do not use GMO beans, which is good if it is true) and contains sucralose (splenda) as a sweetener. Soy can be a hormone disruptor when it is not fermented, especially for women. Be sure to research the ingredients and make an informed decision if these will be something you plan to consume on a daily basis, particularly if you plan on drinking them several times per day.

I am not a fan of meal replacements or protien shakes in general, but there are much healthier alternatives with higher quality ingredients than this that will yeild similar results.

Good luck!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    One thing to note is that the shakes are made with non organic soy (though I did hear they do not use GMO beans, which is good if it is true) and contains sucralose (splenda) as a sweetener. Soy can be a hormone disruptor when it is not fermented, especially for women. Be sure to research the ingredients and make an informed decision if these will be something you plan to consume on a daily basis, particularly if you plan on drinking them several times per day.

I am not a fan of meal replacements or protien shakes in general, but there are much healthier alternatives with higher quality ingredients than this that will yeild similar results.

Good luck!

Agreed. I don't think it's a great idea to eat anything excessively, but when it's proven to cause several different kinds of problems, I don't go out of my way to pound back cups full of it. I mean the majority get enough soy in their diet to begin with. Try to find a regular loaf of bread in a grocery store that doesn't contain it. It's in things such as breads, crackers, cakes, rolls, or pastries containing peanuts, peanut oil, soy flour, processed and "natural" cereals, pasta, soy beans, soybean sprouts, sauces, fruit drink mixes, fruit toppings, coffee substitutes instant coffee, hot cocoa mixes, malt beverages, pork link sausage, deli/luncheon meats, commercially prepared meats (used as a meat extender), cheese substitutes, tofu, bean curd, textured vegetable protein, canned soups, commercial entrees, and combination foods, baked goods, such as cakes or cookies which contain soy flour, commercial ice creams and other frozen desserts, Hard candies, nut candies, fudge, and caramels, protein powders (even ones that are not soy protein based), margarine and butter substitutes salad dressings, mayonnaise, sauces, or gravies, Commercial vegetarian products and meat substitutes Heinz® Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins® sauce, fermented soybean pastes (miso and natto), soy sauce, tamari sauce, granola, breakfast bars, Imitation bacon bits, Roasted soybeans or "soy nuts"...
    http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/allergy/soy.html - Children's Hospital at Standford

There are many nutrients in soy that are wonderful, but it's added to so many of our foods these days, one hardly needs it added to their diet: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/consumer-centre/food-safety-tips/labelling-food-packaging-and-storage/soy/eng/1332437930120/1332437995901 It's to the point that it's a big deal to not have soy in your food, so they put a big bold label on the front.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIn2L90wA8&amp;feature=player_embedded <-worth watching

reads:
    Soy and the Thyroid (hormonal problems): http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm
    Thyroid/Cancer/Soy: http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/kdaniel/2012/02/02/thyroid-cancer-on-the-rise-is-soy-a-cause/
    Pro Soy Cancer Doctor is even frightened by the facts: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/01/02/tofu.aspx

Studys:
    soys link to cognitive impairment and brain atrophy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10763906?dopt=Abstract
    Soy info, Brain Damage and breast cancer: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx
    How to prevent thyroid disease: http://www.ehow.com/how_5678448_prevent-thyroid-disease.html

There are better references out there you can look up yourself or asked an informed doctor about them.

There are also many books out there talking about the negative affects of soy...I think the popular one is called "The truth about soy" or something and then there are the ones mentioned in the links above.

Also, there's different types of soy. Not all of them have been proven bad (which you'll get if you read the links and video).

That on top of all the links I could put down on the negative affects of low calorie diets...I think body by vi should be a giant nono.

You don't need to pay a chunk of change to lose weight, it's just a giant waist if you ask me. I could give the average human being all kinds of good info to lose wight for free without ever feeling hungry.

If you're not really doing the diet and you're just drinking the shakes because its a lazy quick way to get food into you, there are cheaper alternatives.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    When you ask for results, I think it's important to understand what the person was doing before they started the 90 day challenge and get an idea of ALL the changes made to their diet when they started.

I can tell you, 100%, that the shakes were not the driving force behind the weight loss.

If you enjoy the shakes and don't mind spending the money, then, obviously, they aren't going to harm you. However, if you can control your food intake with normal food, then forgo the expense of the shakes and just get what you need at the grocery store.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I did the full 90 days earlier this year. Lost a total of 13 lbs and 5 inches.

I followed the program exactly and worked out.

I had lost 24 lbs before body by vi, and have lost 37 in total.

I am going to do a second round to see if I can shed more fat and tone more muscle.

Although I have been off the shakes since May (i do one a day for maintenance) I have not gained back what I lost.

I had a shake for breakfast, then a snack 2 hours later, then another snack 2 hours after that (i get up at 430 to hit gym at 5), then lunch (which was a shake) then a snack 2 hours after, then dinner and I would be good for the night. i was making sure to pull in at least 1200 cals a day.

I am a believer, worked for myself and my husband. this is a aid for those who are active and not a quick fix for those who don't want to put the effort into changing their lifestyle.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    in my profile are my photos. I've lost approx 50lbs...I don"t weigh very often. FYI I used the transformation kit. Lost 31 on my first 90 day challenge...another ten between that and my second official challenge( meaning I used the shakes but hadn't set goals) and then my challenges since then have been more fitness related than weight loss related.
  • breezedaze
    Options
    This is true. However I couldn't, due to serious health issues, cook or exercise when I started. two minutes to blend a shake..I could do that.
  • breezedaze
    Options
    This is true. However I couldn't, due to serious health issues, cook or exercise when I started. two minutes to blend a shake..I could do that. And I've never paid after the first order.
    When you ask for results, I think it's important to understand what the person was doing before they started the 90 day challenge and get an idea of ALL the changes made to their diet when they started.

I can tell you, 100%, that the shakes were not the driving force behind the weight loss.

If you enjoy the shakes and don't mind spending the money, then, obviously, they aren't going to harm you. However, if you can control your food intake with normal food, then forgo the expense of the shakes and just get what you need at the grocery store.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I am going to do a second round to see if I can shed more fat and tone more muscle.

You saw progress, but you've learned near to nothing.

1. It is physically impossible to tone. You can build, maintain, or destroy muscle mass, you can not however tone.
    2. Following their work out programming (and I've seen it) is ridiculous.
    3. You've learned next to nothing of the basic exercises
    4. You haven't learned what foods work right for your body, you just know what shake tastes good
  • breezedaze
    Options
    And my husband is a long-haul truck driver so he started because it's such a sedentary and limiting lifestyle. He lost 30lbs in his 90 day challenge. We started just over a year ago. Neither of us have gained any weight back. I just keep getting smaller.

I love the shakes. I love the ease and they fit into my very hectic lifestyle.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

1. It is physically impossible to tone. You can build, maintain, or destroy muscle mass, you can not however tone.
    4. You haven't learned what foods work right for your body, you just know what shake tastes good

Srsly...who needs it?
    Just eat right and work hard.
  • breezedaze
    Options
    You know, I already "knew" what to do before I started. I am 46 years old. I didn't need to be taught how to eat. I had a life threatening(non lifestyle related) illness that left me to ill/tired to do it. My husband lived a lifestyle that made it very difficult for him to eat properly and had, in the course of ten years, gained 30lbs because of it.

Being overweight/obese is not as simple as you make it sound. Because the information is available along with a myriad of misinformation.

And once someone is in the cycle of it, far be it from me to judge how they get out of it.

I am an incredible cook. I cook organic and whole foods that would make you weep. Knowledge was not the problem. My life and lifestyle was. Time was. Energy was.

I just don't have time and back when I started, I didn't have the energy to cook 3 meals a day and would find myself in a time/energy crunch going through a drive thru even though I knew it was an awful choice.

So that was my alternative. And it's a good, nutritious and delicious one. And very satisfying.

I still made my own hummus and baked multigrain crackers for my snack. I still made pasta from scratched and created amazing sauces out of fresh tomatoes and garlic.

Of course I don't want to be a health or nutrition expert. I want to be healthy.

And that is what I now am.

• breezedaze
    Options
    This is inaccurate.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What is Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge?

It is the newest fad that everyone is jumping into. I'm waiting to see and hear of long term results and see how everyone keeps the weight off long term.

^^^This. Their shakes can't be as good as shakeology :)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I cook organic and whole foods that would make you weep
    I just don't have time
    I still made my own hummus and baked multigrain crackers for my snack. I still made pasta from scratched and created amazing sauces out of fresh tomatoes and garlic
    ....is anyone else conflicted by this conflicting info?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    And it's a good, nutritious and delicious one
    This is grossly inaccurate. Read through all the links in "Tue 10/30/12 01:50 PM" and then tell me that.
  • shifty2112
    shifty2112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I blogged my whole 90 Day Challenge. I personally loved the challenge. I know there are a ton of other programs out there. But I chose this because the motivation I got, the ease of the system and personally, I loved the shakes. I was too lazy to cook 2 good meals a day. But I learned a lot over the 90 days on how to moderate my food. How to cut out the junk. Lost 24lbs, a bunch of inches and all around felt great. No matter what anyone else says, I did the 90 Days, I did it to the program, worked out daily and blogged the whole process. So for anyone to doubt it, go look at the results. http://www.justaloadofbs.com/2012/07/03/end-of-week-1-body-by-vi-challenge/ and you can read all 12 weeks and make your decision. Let me know if anyone has questions about it.

Thanks,
    Brad Shifflett
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Sorry, but huh? What is toning if not building muscle? Call it toning or building, both have the result of... harder, prettier muscles. Is there some other definition of toning that I'm unaware of? Semantics, I suppose.
  • kada6305
    kada6305 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started it and lost 2 pounds in 3 days...I'll check back in after 7 days to see what the first week is like :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!