having PCOS and trying to diet HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
cazkath96
cazkath96 Posts: 60 Member
Hi there im new on here and ive tried really hard this last week was really strict with myself and exercised all week yet only lost 2lbs... does anyone else suffer with polycystic ovaries and struggle to lose weight? i could really do with some advice. THANKS :-D

Replies

• jammiezene
    jammiezene Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello there. I don't have PCOS but I just wanted to say that you have no reason to be disappointed! A 2 pound loss in a week is fabulous!
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why so many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez girl...PIPE DOWN!
  • cazkath96
    Options
    thank u i just feel at my 1st week surely i should have lost more!? oh well just gotta keep at it :-D
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    healthy recommended weight loss is ONE pound per week. If you lost 2 you lost a lot! I wouldn't want to lose more than 2 pounds in a week...its not safe.
  • cazkath96
    Options
    its called being frustrated ;-)
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    ok, I DO have PCOS and 2 LBS IN ONE WEEK? I would be JUMPING FOR JOY!! Don't be so hard on yourself - 2lbs in one week is good for anyone! ESPECIALLY someone that has PCOS...actually that's like almost unheard of!! LOL

:flowerforyou:
  • kskaare
    kskaare Posts: 21
    Options
    I have PCOS and struggle. A 2lb loss is great. Be sure to watch your carbs! My doc suggested that i do 1400 cal/140g carb. It's low and it's working!

:)
  • marmarlaw
    marmarlaw Posts: 19
    Options
    I had PCOS for most of my life.... it is very hard to loose weight with it... however it can be done. I found that both EXERCISE and eating right is the key. You want to lose the weight slowly so that it is off forever!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    First, 2 lbs is really fantastic for your first week! You should truly shoot to lose no more than 2 lbs a week ever. I do have PCOS, and while it is a bit more difficult to lose weight, I would say that you are right on track. Just keep doing what you are doing, because those are fantastic results!
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    I have PCOS too and 2lbs in a week is awesome. You can't get so frustrated or you'll only thwart your efforts. Relax and it will happen.
  • cazkath96
    Options
    thank you all so much!! yeh i read somewhere that ppl with pcos respond to a low carb diet. i'll have to read up on it as i think like all my foods are carbs!! what will i eat haha :tongue:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So I have PCOS, insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism..talk about a perfect storm. I am currently on 1000 mg of metformin and 60 mg of armour thyroid.

I watch my carbs...usually no more than 120g a day...and those are either from veggies or fruit or whole grains. I dont eat processed foods...except on rare occasion.

I drink soda once in a blue moon...I eat lots of protein...and I work out 3 times a week lifting heavy weights. Its not hard..but losing will be slow...keep with it..you can send me a friend request if you need more info
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree, 2 pounds is great for someone who has PCOS, and I also recommend looking into your carbs. I keep mine under 100 a day, preferably around 45-60.
  • brandi890
    brandi890 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • cazkath96
    Options
    WOW!! u really are against it but u look amazing! i was put on metformin but it really made me poorly!
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thank u i just feel at my 1st week surely i should have lost more!? oh well just gotta keep at it :-D

I also have PCOS. Things to keep in mind:

1.) 2 pounds weight loss in a week is good for ANYONE, let alone a person with PCOS.

2.) Extreme weight loss in such a short time generally happens for 1 of 2 reasons: a starvation diet or obesity (so there's a lot more weight to lose). Usually, though, it contributes to a yo-yo cycle. Slow and steady is the way to lose.

3.) With PCOS, you usually have to work twice as hard to lose half the amount of weight. Our bodies have decided to hold on to pounds, particularly around the middle.

In short, you're doing fine. The key is to have reasonable expectations. :-)
  • LauraAshley95
    LauraAshley95 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have PCOS but I'm shedding the pounds off like nobody's business. I was put on Metformin for a while, then was told to double my dose. After that, I went to another doctor and they said it did nothing for me, so I was taken off and put on a special birth control with an extra dose of estrogen. I lost a crazy amount of 10lbs in 10 days by simply eating better and a teeny tiny bit of exercise. Sorry if it didn't help much, but that's my story. (:
  • cazkath96
    Options
    no thank u for yr comment im just pleased im not alone :-) i exersised everyday for 30 mins last week and lost 2lb... :-)
  • jammiezene
    jammiezene Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Why so many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez girl...PIPE DOWN!

Wow...you proud of yourself for the comment? Lame.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi there im new on here and ive tried really hard this last week was really strict with myself and exercised all week yet only lost 2lbs... does anyone else suffer with polycystic ovaries and struggle to lose weight? i could really do with some advice. THANKS :-D
    There is a group for people with PCOS called Power Cysters. I'm in it. We support each other and also share tips on how to deal with PCOS. The best part about the group is that we can share our NSVs as it pertains to PCOS (trying not to do a TMI moment).