having PCOS and trying to diet HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• iwillberipped
    iwillberipped Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS - For me limiting carbs helped the most. Lean protein, high fiber and avoid simple carbs as much as possible. Try to impliment regular exercise into your weekly routine and stick to it. Losing weight takes time and planning, if there were a magic pill to lose weight everyone would be thin. Plan your meals and stick to them - the more committed you are and the harder you work the better results you will have. Weight loss is a process so try to enjoy the adventure and learn about your body and what works best for you as you go.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, and you are doing great! There are several PCOS groups here. I have no luck at all when I try to link them, but they come up when you do a search. Definitely worth joining IMO.
  • romoli
    romoli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think 2 pounds is great! I had a slip a while back and I seem to be at a hump that I can't get over.... encouragement!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Another PCOSer here. I agree with what the others have said, 2lbs is fantastic. One thing I will say is don't compare yourself to other people or you'll get yourself down. We have a slower time losing weight but IT IS possible. Some people can lose lbs week after week, for the rest of us it's a tad slower for whatever reason. And losing slowly does have its benefits, you're more likely to keep the weight off and your skin will have time to catch up with your slowly shrinking body

For me it's taken 2 years to lose 71lbs and get to my goal weight. That works out at a little over half a lb a week on average. Slow going but worth it.

Stick with it, you'll get there x
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Two lbs. is good. I have PCOS, stop using it as an excuse, it's not one.

well, uh, thanks! I guess my hard work has been worth nothing.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hi girl! I have PCOS, and have been very, very slowly losing so be proud of those 2 lbs. Keep working hard and even though you feel like you aren't getting anywhere, DON'T QUIT. Whatever you do. Just keep working, it's slow going but it's so worth it when one or two of those lbs come off for good :smile:
  • cazkath96
    cazkath96 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thats excellent WELL DONE!! @agentscully (think thats yr name) dont be disheartened you are doing fantastic!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Crissena
    Crissena Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and as long as you stay under your calories and get more active you're bound to lose weight! I am a carb~aholic and so I do have to keep myself in check with the carbs but over all I don't know that it's been any harder than someone without PCOS. 2 pounds a week is amazing and so you should be celebrating that, not upset that you didn't lose more. You have to take it day by day and week by week, and know that if you keep at it the reward is going to be amazing. Don't get it in your mind how many pounds you have to lose a week, but day by day keep tracking your calories and getting more excersize it will work!! Good luck to you :)

11972893.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone is using it as an 'excuse', just a reason for slower weight loss. It's very common for easy weight gain / slow weight loss to be a problem with PCOS and it can be disheartening when you work your butt off for little to no loss when people around you are dropping weight like hot potatoes.

If the OP or anyone else here were using it as an excuse they'd hardly be here trying to change and asking for advice, more likely to be sat on the couch inhaling twinkies and blaming weight gain on those blasted hormones.
  • cazkath96
    Options

I don't think anyone is using it as an 'excuse', just a reason for slower weight loss. It's very common for easy weight gain / slow weight loss to be a problem with PCOS and it can be disheartening when you work your butt off for little to no loss when people around you are dropping weight like hot potatoes.

If the OP or anyone else here were using it as an excuse they'd hardly be here trying to change and asking for advice, more likely to be sat on the couch inhaling twinkies and blaming weight gain on those blasted hormones.
    well said
  • cazkath96
    Options
    well said :-D p.s how do i use yr comment as a quote and add a status myself? ha
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, 2 lbs is great and a healthy amount for anyone to lose in a week! :) Keep up the hard work. It is definitely worth it in the end!

This topic is interesting to me because I have had some hormone issues (due to extreme stress) and was told that I may have PCOS or a thyroid problem. I've never had a problem before, always been healthy and at a good weight. I work out a lot and eat healthy and haven't been able to lose a pound and keep it off. Definitely very frustrating but your story is an inspiration to me. Thanks.
  • cazkath96
    Options
    forget that i done it haha :laugh:
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and would be SO happy to lose 2# in a week. Add me if you wish you can see my diary, or if you want I am willing to help out with what my doc/nutritionist told me..
    First order would be for you to go see a your doc and get recommendations for YOU to follow. Then do it! Or do research, I have learned a LOT from various sites on line.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I am working hard to not let it affect anything...I have steadily lost, with the odd small gain, for the last 3 months...I vowed to not let it get me down and to fight through it...and ya, some days are hard when I think about how hard I AM working and have a small loss or even a gain...but I know that I'm working hard and I've actually stopped focusing on the weightloss and more on the other things...getting a stronger heart, getting into physical shape, etc...the weight is just a plus...

Keep at it...you'll do well!!!
  • brandi890
    brandi890 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    when I was 16 I was told by my doctor that I had PCOS.. I was crushed.. was told if I am not carefull I would be on insulin shots and could develop other major issues. I tried for a little while to treat it but just gave up.. I gained more than 50 lbs from the age of 16 to 21 and stopped caring about my self. then one day I was reading about diabetes and read something that said most people that have pre-diabetes(which I do) are more than likley going to end up a full blow diabetic.. on insulin.. It was like a wake up call for me. I want to live a long and healthy life and have children on my own with out the help of drugs.. my doctor said I needed to loose a lot of weight. at my heaviest I was 245 and 4'11. its been four months and I weighed this morning and now I'm at 195. You can do this. Please don't loose hope or get discourged.I used to think that bc I have this I'm always going to be heavy. but MFP Has showed me that I control what goes in my body and I have to make better choices with what food I put in my body. four months ago I was in your shoes. I wasn't loosing weight like I thought I should and wanted to just stop. I didn't thou I kept going and push myself every day!!! If I can do it and so many more you can too!! Just believe in your self.. if you ever need some one to talk to feel free to add me or send me a message I am always looking for new friends!!! I wish you lots of luck and faithu
  • lowry12
    lowry12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    that is a good group im a member too theres a couple support groups for us suffers of pcos
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

+1
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I had PCOS for most of my life.... it is very hard to loose weight with it... however it can be done. I found that both EXERCISE and eating right is the key. You want to lose the weight slowly so that it is off forever!

I agree with this totally. It has to be a combination of healthy/clean eating and exercise! for me, I know that's the ONLY way weight comes off!!
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So I have PCOS, insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism..talk about a perfect storm. I am currently on 1000 mg of metformin and 60 mg of armour thyroid.

I watch my carbs...usually no more than 120g a day...and those are either from veggies or fruit or whole grains. I dont eat processed foods...except on rare occasion.

I drink soda once in a blue moon...I eat lots of protein...and I work out 3 times a week lifting heavy weights. Its not hard..but losing will be slow...keep with it..you can send me a friend request if you need more info

Same here!!! Makes ya feel completely miserable doesn't it? My Dr and Nutritionist has cut me down to 45g of carbs and 120g of protein. It's hard sometimes to stay within that range. So if I mess up, I don't make it too hard on myself. I try to do my best. I have cut out soda, I drink Pepsi Max, which my Dr recommended. I work out 6 days a week, doing Zumbda. But need to add in strength training. Do you go to the gym? Do you have a trainer? I don't know where to start.