Enjoying a Night out while trying to lose weight

aprrae
aprrae Posts: 172 Member
We have all heard it said that alcohol and weight loss do not go together, but I still enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail when I am out for the evening or together with friends. What are your strategies for having a drink while still trying to lose weight?

What are the best drinks to have?

So you simply track your drink calories as you would food?

Replies

• jesscod
    jesscod Posts: 98
    I love beer - which is definitely not conducive to weight loss LOL.

If I know I'm going out I will save enough calories (approx 200) for ONE beer. This way I'm not letting myself over-do it with the excess calories, but I'm giving myself a treat...

I try not to do this a lot - I notice when I have more than one beer a week my sugar cravings SKYROCKET..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    Yes. I track it. . . I wish it was one glass of wine!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Yes, track your drink calories like food. That should be done on any day.

Try to limit yourself to one drink and drink water the rest of the night.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    We have all heard it said that alcohol and weight loss do not go together, but I still enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail when I am out for the evening or together with friends. What are your strategies for having a drink while still trying to lose weight?

What are the best drinks to have?

So you simply track your drink calories as you would food?

If it has calories, it should be tracked. I only drink very sweet, girly drinks (white russian/black russian and others of its ilk). EXTREMELY calorie dense. I either bank calories so I can indulge without guilt, or work it off later.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    i love just a vodka soda with a lime, low cal!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    I track it. I tend to stick to high alcohol, low calorie choices like rum and diet coke or vodka and diet tonic...

OR I just have one of those free for all weekends where I don't log anything. I've still been losing weight this way, it is just a little bit slower. but that is OK with me because it means I'm learning how to make it a lifestyle, not a drop all the weight and then not know what to do situation.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    I love beer. I like to have one or two a night. So I work out hard to make sure I have the extra 200 calories to enjoy my two Mich Ultra's.
  • I think portion size and mixers are probably my worst culprits. Here's a link to a web MD article on lower calorie cocktails:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails

I really try to drink anything with soda--I've noticed that Vodka Sodas have that magic mix of enough punch and just a little guilt.
  • izzy0113
    izzy0113 Posts: 7 Member
    Jack and diet coke
    Anything really + diet coke
    Chardonnay (white wine lower cal than red)

These are my stand bys.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Beer really isn't that high calorie and I like it. I can barely handle half a pint though, so I guess it's only good for lightweights like me :(
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member

this x 100.

and I love (good) beer too. I don't drink them as often as I used to, but when I do, I just work one into my cals.
  • I love beer and wine!! I have both every week:)

I don't believe it has stalled my weight loss in anyway, I'm a few pounds from goal!

I just track it like usual, If I know I'm going to have more than one or two then I exercise more to earn the extra cals:)
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Eat low calorie, low carb foods when you know you're going to go out. Budget your drinks right away in the morning. If you start to feel hungry, drink tons of water to help offset that feeling. Also remember you are allowed a cheat day or two during the week. I almost always go over on the weekends, but try to do something to offset it. Also, I've grown to like whiskey on the rocks. It's a sipper so I don't drink as much as quickly, only 64 calories per ounce, and end up spending less. I have such an active social life that I have to try to find something that works for me!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member

Ah, the vodka gimlet. A favourite! (I hate vodka in almost anything else.)

I usually drink beer or wine, though, so I just try to plan and know before I get to the bar exactly how many calories I have to play with.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    I'm not much of a drinker BUT my suggestions

Smirnoff Ice Light: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/smirnoff-ice-light-cdn-2986427
    There are also light beers
    Also, if you're mixing drinks, mix with diet pop instead of regular pop

Those things, although not "healthy", they are still better for you than regular drinks!
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    I try to drink A LOT of water before hand. If my stomach is full of water, I am less likely to fill up on wine or beer...which I love. But I think it's good to have a good night out. Just make sure you're eating really great the rest of the week and getting an extra workout (or two) to make up for it.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    If you are making drinks at home...Crystal Light makes mixes (mocktails) like Appletini, Margarita, and Mojito, that they intend to be mixed with water.

Well, they mix just fine with liquor as well! I love to add 12 ice cubes 4 shots of vodka and a packet of Appletini mix in a blender.

Low cal and yummmmmmy!