anyone starting Couch to 5K

Options
124»

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 of week 2 today...I have been tempted to skip ahead a week, but don't want to do too mcuh too soon and quit because it's too hard. I might do an extra minute or two on the last run interval. So far i am liking it. I love that I am drenched in sweat when I'm done, makes me feel like I did real good! :laugh: I've also set the treadmill for random, on the lowest setting...it ranges from .4 to 1.5% incline.

What speed do you all run at?

I did 5 mph the first week, now I've slightly bumped it up to 5.1, and next week will bump it to 5.2, etc etc.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Gee, you're way faster than me... I walk at about 3.5, then bump up to about 4.7 when running. When I started out, I was only running at 4.3, so there is hope. I've never been a fast runner, even when I was in high school (way way back when) and running cross country, I never got faster than a 9 minute mile. Always came in last, lol.
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Hi! I've been thinking of doing this Couch to 5k ....and I see all kinds of different websites with different programs....totally confused! I was thinking (and one website agreed) that I should wait until I lose more weight because of knee pain....what do you guys think? I'm at 194.2 today. Going to 140-150. Also...what website should I go to for the Couch to 5k...which is the best or which is the one you guys are using?? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • tas3072
    tas3072 Posts: 4
    Options
    Where do you find the information on Couch to 5K. Sounds like the motivation I am needing. "Accountability"
  • toots99
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I started it, and I am 213 lbs!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been thinking of doing this Couch to 5k ....and I see all kinds of different websites with different programs....totally confused! I was thinking (and one website agreed) that I should wait until I lose more weight because of knee pain....what do you guys think? I'm at 194.2 today. Going to 140-150. Also...what website should I go to for the Couch to 5k...which is the best or which is the one you guys are using?? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

no need to wait, when I started a few weeks ago I was at 212.. dont give yourself excuses, Just do it, you will be surprised! :flowerforyou:
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh holy cow....did the "run" outside this morning instead of on the treadmil....it was so much harder! I'll never be ready for a race in the fall!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    don't be so hard on yourself JB and don't give up. Adjust your pace for outdoors running when you do it.
  • toots99
    Options
    Oh holy cow....did the "run" outside this morning instead of on the treadmil....it was so much harder! I'll never be ready for a race in the fall!

Yeah, I'm just going to try to get through doing it on the treadmill first and worry about outdoors later! :laugh:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options

THANKS! Is it necessary to download the $19.95 guide, or did you just use the info on the site itself. Also...I see people speaking of podcasts with music....where is this? Thanks, again!! :flowerforyou:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Sassy - you gonna do the Couch to 5K? I'm thinking of starting it next week! Wow, you gotta get outta my head, girl - we're so on the same wavelength sometimes.....

I found a couple podcasts by searching for "couch to 5k podcasts" - and all the info is right there on the coolrunning website, so I'm not planning on paying any money for it, but I'll be interested in seeing what everyone says here about it......
  • pettmybunny
    Options

THANKS! Is it necessary to download the $19.95 guide, or did you just use the info on the site itself. Also...I see people speaking of podcasts with music....where is this? Thanks, again!! :flowerforyou:

I posted these on page 2, but here they are again

Here's the link for the Suz podcast. http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

I used hers today (week 1 day 3) and I shaved almost 3 minutes off my time. The strong beat and faster music really got me moving! Up until today, I've been using the Robert Ullery one.

Here's the link to his: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

I also did a google search, and there's several others:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html (podrunner also has podcasts to go further, with an 8K podcast and a 10K podcast)

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/ (This one is Christian music, there are a few extra downloads on this site)

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html (This one has a 5-4-3-2-1-0 countdown and then the music completely changes for each interval, but the sampling I listened to had good music. I kind of hated it sometimes when the song changed right in the middle)

Hope these help!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    That's wonderful, thank you for the links! I'm really excited about this....
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    pettmybunny....WOW! Thanks so much!!! :wink:
  • toots99
    Options

I didn't buy any guide.

And as for podcasts, I'd rather do it while listening to my own music. The workout seems to go a lot faster for me if I'm keeping an eye on the clock and timing myself.
  • pettmybunny
    Options

I didn't buy any guide.

And as for podcasts, I'd rather do it while listening to my own music. The workout seems to go a lot faster for me if I'm keeping an eye on the clock and timing myself.

I'm the exact opposite! I find that I have a harder time if I'm looking at the clock. Watching the clock count down kills me... I find myself thinking "Good, you're a quarter of the way done... Ok, half way done, you're doing great!.... Shoot, I still have half a minute left, I can't do this!" If I have no idea of the time, I find it's a lot easier. Right about the time I think I have to quit, on comes the voice telling me it's time to walk again! Sure, listening to my own music might be more fun (total 80's girl here), but I'm way too lazy to make my own podcast, so I'll take what I can get:laugh:
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Oh man, YEAH, 80s music! That'd be AWESOME!
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    I've been researching all night ... I am wanting to try this couch to 5k ....and I want something like 80's music too. TRIED to make my own podcast....but boy was I really stupid with that!! :noway: :noway: WOW! Couldn't figure it out....and just can't find any podcasts with music I would enjoy while doing the Couch to 5k. SO....maybe I'll just have to listen to my own Ipod and look down at my wrist to time myself.
  • toots99
    Options
    There used to be an amazing site called podfitness. You uploaded your own music and it set it to whatever program you picked, running walking elliptcal, etc. It was supercool because it connected all the songs, faded in and out and even used your name during the workouts to push you more.

I just looked for the site, and it's not accepting new members! :cry: So bummed!