Elliptical Vs. Treadmill

Options

Replies

• heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I find the best burn for me is the exercise bike while using small weights at the same time for the upper body. I use a heart rate monitor and I definitely burn the most using this two part system. It's too hard for me to get my heart rate up on the treadmill and the elliptical is uncomfortable for me since I'm short.
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't know really. I feel like the elliptical works my arms more and stuff, but then again - I think that running is harder. Maybe changing it up once in a while will do the best.
  • lcarr1020
    lcarr1020 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do both but I prefer the elliptical. It makes me really sweat.
    I can't figure out why people bad mouth the elliptical, it's done me good! And since I have knee and feet problem's, the elliptical is much easier on my joints. :happy:
    I haven't noticed any problems with my knees either. I jog on the treadmill and only get tired but never feel any pain.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better. The treadmill is alright but I can feel a better workout on the elliptical and it doesn't hurt my knees as much.

^^ This! And I can give most of my weight loss credit to my elliptical :smile:
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I use the elliptical more because of bad knees. But have also traded back and forth between a treadmill and elliptical so I don't get bored. I find that when using a HRM I know what I burn too..using either machine. In fact, I am back in the gym today after a hiatus and going to use the elliptical and the stationary bike.
  • lcarr1020
    Options
    I feel like more of a bad @ss on the treadmill

I like to imagine I look awesome but what I really look like is a baby camel struggling to stand for the first time
    HA HA! You arent the only one! :smile:
  • lcarr1020
    Options
    I own a treadmill and i workout on it every day.. i have lost alot of weight on it and inches.. but i only do that as my cardio portion i also add strength training to and like to do jillian micheal workouts..
    I just bought two of her DVD's last weekend, 30 day Shred and Killer Buns and Thighs!
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I do both but I prefer the elliptical. It makes me really sweat.
    I can't figure out why people bad mouth the elliptical, it's done me good! And since I have knee and feet problem's, the elliptical is much easier on my joints. :happy:

I totally agree!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For myself, the treadmill has been more effective for weight loss. It's also a more natural motion, and you're pumping both your arms and legs. With the elliptical, I always felt like my weight distribution would shift between my legs and arms, then I wasn't pulling with the same force for both arms, etc. That said, it is easier on the joints, but from what you wrote, that's not an issue.

I believe the best kind of treadmill training is interval training, such as 2 minutes jog followed by 30 seconds at sprint pace, etc. You can find these kind of routines online. This is the best way to burn calories and increase your aerobic capacity. I find it really invigorating and a great way to keep the standard treadmill routine from becoming boring.
  • lcarr1020
    Options
    I burn more calories on an elliptical than I do on the treadmill. I do workout with a heart rate monitor and burn 600-800 calories in a 50 minute session. I'm doing the preprogrammed HIT training and keep my RPMs about 10 higher than the recommended settings but I'm paying more attention to my HRM than anything else.

I think you can get a good workout from either but get an HRM so you get a more accurate measurement of calories burned.
    Good Idea! Thanks!!! :-)
  • kingkong247
    kingkong247 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I feel like more of a bad @ss on the treadmill

I like to imagine I look awesome but what I really look like is a baby camel struggling to stand for the first time
    HA HA! You arent the only one! :smile:

LOL!!! I prefer the treadmill.
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    If I had to pick between the two it would be the treadmill. The movement on the elliptical just seems off. Normally though I just hit the open road. I can't stand staring at a wall / tv watching the miles crawl by.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I think you get best results doing interval training on the treadmill. Of course this means you need to already have developed enough aerobic base to withstand running at a high intensity without risk of injury. But if its been a slow jog on the treadmill or an elliptical, you might get a better workout on the elliptical.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the treadmill forces you to support your body weight while the elliptical supports it for you. so in general, the treadmill will require more work
  • shellybean73
    shellybean73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been mostly doing 35-40 mins on the Treadmill when I go to them gym but I have also done the Elliptical a few times as well thinking that it helps work my legs and arms....which one is better for BEST results??

Thank You for asking this!! so many responses!!! and i have too wondered this, I can do the treadmill at any incline for twice as long as the elliptical, i feel like even after 10 minutes, I WANT OFF!!! iT DOESNT HURT IN A GOOD WAY? IT FEELS AKWARD TO ME?
    I love reading that im not the only one!!! thanks!:smile:
  • TransducerX
    Options
    The difference is not just in calories. Elliptical work is great for people who don't want to put unnecessary strain on their knees. It's a lot better for your joints. The elliptical is also nice because you can change the resistance for a more customized workout.

This. And because of the resistance aspect I fell I can burn more calories in my 30 minutes than I could walking on a treadmill. Personally, can't run on a treadmill; it's just too awkward.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Whichever gets your heart rate to around 130bpm.

That said, I mix it up - stops my body getting used to a set way of doing cardio and my body adjusting to stimuli as quickly.
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bowflex Treadclimber: Best of both!
    So true! Just purchased the Bowflex Treadclimber a couple weeks ago...what a workout!!!
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical better. I can go much harder for a longer period of time because it's not as stressful on my knees. And apparently it works your leg muscles in different ways, because I know a lot of people who refuse to get back on the elliptical because it hurts their leg muscles. (Uh, duh?) Anyway. I always do a good elliptical workout, then jump on the treadmill and work on my walking/jogging/running. I've been doing a little bit of my own training for a mini marathon or something. I'd like to sign up for one soon. ;) But I believe someone mentioned about your target HR, and I think that's more of an accurate thing to go by. Get your HR up, and it doesn't really matter on which machine. Good luck! :)
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    For me, the "best" results depend on what I want for that day. Hands down I tend to lose weight faster on the elliptical trainer. But, for a good workout, I need to do both and add in some free weights. I have found that cardio exercise helps me to lose the fastest. But the fastest isn't always the best. If I don't so some strength moves, I can usually tell it in the way I look. Without tonde muscles, I don't look as good as I could-and after a while, I don't feel as good.