Elliptical Vs. Treadmill

Options

Replies

• kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I had a gym membership I went mainly for the elliptical! I really can't spend much time on the treadmill, it gets kind of boring to me. What I would do is workout on the elliptical for however long then go to the treadmill for kind of a cool down, I was still moving and burning calories but cooling down at the same time. Mind you, I'm not a runner, I'll die form less than 5 minutes of running, I have to work up to it...so maybe if I was a runner I'd like the treadmill more. I finally decided to ditch my gym membership and just invest in an elliptical of my own :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The difference is not just in calories. Elliptical work is great for people who don't want to put unnecessary strain on their knees. It's a lot better for your joints. The elliptical is also nice because you can change the resistance for a more customized workout. It's really hard to compare the two, but I think in general, running will get your heart rate higher.
  • NicVino
    NicVino Posts: 19
    Options
    The elliptical is good, but I personally like the Arc Trainer. It burns more calories and really gives you a good overall workout. I personally use it on the "strength program" where the resistance and incline is high...and I still find that to be easier on my knees than the ellipical or treadmill.

http://www.cybexintl.com/products/cross-trainers.aspx -Just in case you're not sure =)
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The difference is not just in calories. Elliptical work is great for people who don't want to put unnecessary strain on their knees. It's a lot better for your joints. The elliptical is also nice because you can change the resistance for a more customized workout. It's really hard to compare the two, but I think in general, running will get your heart rate higher.

This ***** got it goin on
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had an elliptical, hated every moment I tried it so I sold it at a great deal to the buyer.

Joined the gym, tried the treadmill and never regretted selling that elliptical. It hurt my knees, I found it wasn't a natural movement for me to continue going.

The treadmill can change incline &/or speed to jazz up any "plain ol' walk" into a full blown workout.

Took me about 36lbs to drop before I could jog on it with a bit of grace. Not sure I'll continue with the jogging, but I know I can do it.

The elliptical is low-impact, but the treadmill can be too, depending on how you use it.

Good luck!
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use the weight machines for the first 20 minutes of my workout (assuming you're a gym member here) then for the other 20-25 minutes I use either the treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike. I think variety is awesome if you don't have any health issues.

i'm just lucky I get to the gym at all, to be honest. It's hard waking up at 4:30 am to workout.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do both but I prefer the elliptical. It makes me really sweat.
    I can't figure out why people bad mouth the elliptical, it's done me good! And since I have knee and feet problem's, the elliptical is much easier on my joints. :happy:
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have noticed much better results on the treadmill. It doesn't hurt my knees. I see that everyone else is saying treadmill is harder on the knees. That hasn't been the case for me but I don't run on the treadmill very much. I usually walk between 3.5 and 4.5 MPH at a 15 percent incline. It's been great. I do more than just the treadmill but between the two I prefer the treadmill.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think HIIT is easier on the treadmill, but yeah, the elliptical is better for knees
    Only if it fits your "normal" stride pattern. If you have to lengthen your natural stride, it may actually be worse on the knees.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use both alternating days normally for 45 - 60 mins along with Zumba, Spin, abs and a total body work out class. I have a bad knee so I don't like to spend too much time on a treadmill. I also just like to switch my work out up.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think HIIT is easier on the treadmill, but yeah, the elliptical is better for knees

Actually my orthopedic doctor told me to stay away from the elliptical or to limit my workout to 10 or 15 minutes max and no more than a couple of days a week.

He said that the bike and the stationary rowing machine were better for the knees, and also the treadmill because I can control the intensity, resistance and speed.

Good advice, because I really hate the elliptical!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your preference - the big thing is actually getting on the machine to burn the calories. Personally, i prefer the ARC Machine over the Treadmill or Elliptical. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i feel much more unsteady on the elliptical & don't like the feeling that i'm going to fall. The treadmill is very boring to me, but evidently i'm in the minority because whenever i go to the gym the treadmills are almost all taken (LOL). i set the ARC Machine on weight loss mode & it definitely gives me a workout.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I feel like more of a bad @ss on the treadmill

I like to imagine I look awesome but what I really look like is a baby camel struggling to stand for the first time
  • KettleBellHoe
    KettleBellHoe Posts: 161
    Options
    Elliptical has the least stress on the knees and ankles and it also works out the upper-body and arms far more then the treadmill, although it may take more resistance to burn more calories on the elliptical.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I feel like more of a bad @ss on the treadmill

I like to imagine I look awesome but what I really look like is a baby camel struggling to stand for the first time

haha.. visual is hilarious!!. but I'm sure you look natural running.
  • palebottom
    palebottom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do both. I feel that the treadmill is harder for me. I cannot sustain a run as long as I can sustain faced paced movement on the elliptical. For that reason I do both. However, I am constantly getting shin splints when I run and have to do the elliptical for a couple weeks while they heal. I also seem to burn way more calories on the elliptical. But since the treadmill seems to be harder, for me anyway, I think that there has to be some benefit there that I do not experience with the elliptical.
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I own a treadmill and i workout on it every day.. i have lost alot of weight on it and inches.. but i only do that as my cardio portion i also add strength training to and like to do jillian micheal workouts..
  • phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on an elliptical than I do on the treadmill. I do workout with a heart rate monitor and burn 600-800 calories in a 50 minute session. I'm doing the preprogrammed HIT training and keep my RPMs about 10 higher than the recommended settings but I'm paying more attention to my HRM than anything else.

I think you can get a good workout from either but get an HRM so you get a more accurate measurement of calories burned.
  • sissy008
    sissy008 Posts: 1
    Options
    I DO 3 TO 4 MILES A DAY ON THE ELLIPTICAL, I DO DIFFERENT RESISTANCE LEVELS TODAY I DID 10 AND MY LEGS GOT A PRETTY GOOD WORK OUT :) TREADMILLS TO ME ARE BORING....
  • lcarr1020
    lcarr1020 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The one thing to be cautious about is ellipticals tend to grossly overestimate calories burned. Even the ones that seem like they are close are overestimating. If you are trying to lose weight, I have personally noticed better results from the treadmill in terms of weight loss and losing inches of fat.

My brother said the same thing, that the treadmill is better for weight loss and toning. Thanks! :-)