Anyone eat Coconut Oil?

Options
ashmarie484
ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
Ive heard that eating coconut oil is suppose to be healthy for you and has a lot of nutritional value, not sure this is correct and wanted to know you guys opinion. I think your suppose to eat like 3tbsp or something. Thanks :)

Replies

• bolsaguns
    bolsaguns Posts: 100
    Options
    I use it a lot to cook with. Anything that calls for oil or butter i use it. It is great for your skin. My trainer at CrossFit tells everyone at our gym to use it. It is supposed to be better for you that olive oil.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it straight, but I have been using it more often in my foods. I cook my eggs in coconut oil instead of butter every morning, and I top my popcorn (popped in the micro in a brown paper bag) coconut oil and a wee bit of butter. And sometimes I put a little in my hair - makes a great smoothing & shine treatment on dry hair! :smile:
  • 202685tracy
    202685tracy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I cook with it and add it to my green drink!
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump ---I want to know this too!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you actually mean coconut water, it's excellent for you and very tasty. But if you mean oil, as you said, it is not at all good for you.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and baking and for dry skin.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yep. I use in in my hair, but I also try to have about a tablespoon or so a day. It's great in oatmeal, Greek yogurt, protein shakes, etc.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I add it to my protein shakes... gives great texture and flavor.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    My friend eats a spoonful a day and swears by it. I'm actually stopping today after work to pick some up. She said just to make sure it is virgin, organic and unrefined.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Just scrambled some eggs in it :) I don't shoot for eating any specific amount, I just add some whenever I want to squeeze in some healthy fats and olive oil, etc. wouldn't be appropriate taste-wise. It's good for high-temperature cooking.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I cook with it...use it in smoothies sometimes and I put it in my hair. I think coconut oil is good for you in moderation. I still prefer flax oil though.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    yes it is a medium chain saturated fat, its much better for you than other saturated fats
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of it, but I heard mention that if used topically enough you get essentially the same benefits. Personally I just use it on any discoloration on my skin from old scars and as a natural sunscreen. I don't cook anything that would warrant me using it instead of something else.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    yep! I use it all the time. It is very good for you and tastes amazing.

It's also fabulous on your skin!
  • ashmarie484
    ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Ive been putting it on my skin & hair for a while now and was curious about eating but wasnt sure because it is an oil. I do have the virgin unrefined kind.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you actually mean coconut water, it's excellent for you and very tasty. But if you mean oil, as you said, it is not at all good for you.

This could not be more wrong.

Get the Extra Virgin Coconut oil (organic is best), it smells and tastes delicious and is really good for you. Actually aids fat loss. I use it as makeup remover, sometimes in my hair and in the shower as a moisturizer for my body after I wash. Just don't use it on your face...oh boy.

I also eat it, it is DELICIOUS in Quinoa, just 1/2 tbsp in 1 cup of quinoa. Haven't tried it on popcorn yet but I hear its good. It's good in a baked potato too... It's just GOOD!
  • singitella
    singitella Posts: 40
    Options
    My husband recently made the best shrimp stir fry with coconut oil, a little soy sauce, and sesame seeds. Delicious!
  • countrygirlatheart0717
    countrygirlatheart0717 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    On the Paleo Diet it's recommended you use Coconut Oil. I would assume it's healthy for you because on this diet you're only supposed to consume healthy, natural things (no grains, no processed foods).
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

The old "all fats are bad for you" is no longer true... coconut oil has been found to have many health benefits. Here is just one of my hundred of articles you can find...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

I like this because they reference the various health journals/internal medicine articles they use to write this article.

Coconut water is very good for you as well... but so is the oil.

:)