Can anyone suggest replacements for bread and potatoes?

Options
Hey guys

I'm fairly new here and i find it a struggle to cut down my carbs! I'm eating more protein, but find it hard to cut out bread and potatoes, can anyone suggest replacement's or any advice? I swear i will turn in to a slice of bread the way i'm goin!

Thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• roachtg
    roachtg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes and whole grain bread
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    search the bread options. there are several that are lower in calories. You will just have to take the time to look at all the packages. Potatoes....no real solution there. As far as noodles go I understand Shiritaki ( yes I think i spelled it wrong) noodles are the bomb. I have yet to try them though
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut out bread just find the ones with the less calories. Try bread round. I think they're only 100 calories and I think they're by Nature's Own. They're really good and come in whole grain. As far as potatoes try eating small potatoes or switch to sweet potatoes.
  • chubbster17
    chubbster17 Posts: 31
    Options
    Ryvita or oatcakes :) x
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I make sandwiches with Arnolds Multigrain Sandwich thins which are only 100 calories. For mashed potatoes...you can substitue cauliflower.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck. I usually just stick with whole wheat breads and healthier crackers. I like Kavli and Melba Toast. I'll be back to see if anyone has any great suggestions.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    search the bread options. there are several that are lower in calories. You will just have to take the time to look at all the packages. Potatoes....no real solution there. As far as noodles go I understand Shiritaki ( yes I think i spelled it wrong) noodles are the bomb. I have yet to try them though

Aren't these noodles loaded with sodium? I agree though they are delicious.
  • Mzstreeks
    Mzstreeks Posts: 1
    Options
    I replace all my potatoes with cauliflower! Mashed cauliflower is the BEST! Just prepare it like you would mashed potatoes!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes. They are delicious...more fiber..and if you skip the brown sugar and butter on them...and roast them with just a bit of olive oil..in the oven..they are wonderful!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I use low carb wraps instead of bread and you can do mashed cauliflower in place of potatoes. If you do a search on here you will find ways to prepair the cauliflower.
  • katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love bread also but I have tried eating more "ryvitas" especially with soups etc as they become to taste like croutons!

Also if you are going to have bread, there are low calorie ones - like nimble.

instead of potatoes, sweet potato is a good one but not sure it would taste too great with baked beans and cheese on.... hmmm!
  • angelrock
    angelrock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a little mash with my food but lately I've been bulking up on veg mainly asparagus, broccoli, sweetcorn, peas, carrotts or a massive salad lol!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You don't really need a replacement for them, just eat lower GI carbs in their place if you feel you need carbs with your meals. Personally I just eat fruit, veggies and protein every meal.

This link has a pretty good list set up:

http://www.herbalvitality.info/aw/glycemic_index.htm
  • jonibeeps
    jonibeeps Posts: 6
    Options
    i love my bread and potatoes. My solution? I don't buy bread that I love. I get rye bread, and "on sale" (slightly stale) cheap generic white bread for the kids PB&J. I don't buy rolls or english muffins. I fill my plate with veggies, especially tomatoes and pickles. They are filling and very colorful. I do eat an occasional baked potato with salt and pepper (no butter or sour cream or cheese) I am finding that if I get enough protein then i don't crave carbs.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Why replace them? Everything in moderation!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I would completely cut out bread...forever. No such thing as "healthy grains"...neolithic agents of destruction, and all that.

Potatoes, however, I'm okay with...and sweet potatoes, those are good too. (Just had one w/ kerrygold butter as part of my huge lunch.) The mashed cauliflower ("cauliflower rice") is a good suggestion too.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

I'm fairly new here and i find it a struggle to cut down my carbs! I'm eating more protein, but find it hard to cut out bread and potatoes, can anyone suggest replacement's or any advice? I swear i will turn in to a slice of bread the way i'm goin!

Thanks in advance :wink:

zucchini, soaked pecans, cashews or almonds (drained after rehydrated), more meat or fish, all the green veggies you can eat, and lots of butter and cheese on your foods!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes around you buy their flourless bread - it is SO good.
  • mereid36
    mereid36 Posts: 3
    Options
    Im a carb lover as well. I make mash potatoes with 1 large potato and the rest cauliflower (you can make them with just cauliflower but they just arent the same texture). Bread is a little harder to substitute - whenever you go out to eat tell them not to bring you the rolls, your setting yourself up. I use the smart and delicious high fiber low carb wraps for all my sandwhiches now and they are great. I also use them to make thin crust pizza. They are way lower in calories and packed with fiber! You can find them by the deli section. I also love pasta so I either use the tofu shirataki noodles (check our hungrygirl.com for recipes and how to prepare them) or I use the old trick of bulking up a small serving of the real pasta with veggies and lean protein (like chicken or shrimp). Hope this helps!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sweet taters!