Can anyone suggest replacements for bread and potatoes?

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    For bread, my kids eat corn tortillas because they have celiac disease. As far as carbs, any sandwich will make into salad. And quinoa or brown, red, black rice are good alternatives for potatoes too.

Check out Udi's brand gluten free products for your kiddos...their sandwich bread and bagels are REALLY good---actually taste like and have the texture of regular bread! Just ya know, in case they would like to eat regular sandwiches or grilled cheese or something. Having a dietary restriction as a kid can be a real bummer, having my son go gluten-free has been really big in managing his ADHD sans medication :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I would completely cut out bread...forever. No such thing as "healthy grains"...neolithic agents of destruction, and all that.

Potatoes, however, I'm okay with...and sweet potatoes, those are good too. (Just had one w/ kerrygold butter as part of my huge lunch.) The mashed cauliflower ("cauliflower rice") is a good suggestion too.

you dont eat bread? that sucks

It did at first, but the improvement to my health was substantial...and now, almost a year later, I don't even miss it a bit...(well, okay, not *too* much...and not all the time).

To be clear, this was a revelation I made as a relatively old dude. If you had told the 30 yo me that I should stop eating bread (and any other grain products), I'd call you crazy...especially since I didn't have (or at least didn't *think* I had) any adverse health from it at all...so some of you young whippersnappers who think you're immune to this stuff...well, enjoy it while you can...

...(and do some reading about "paleo", especially if you are struggling with health issues...it has been the difference for a lot of people, and what does it hurt to give it 30 days to see if it's right for you?)...

...oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes. They are delicious...more fiber..and if you skip the brown sugar and butter on them...and roast them with just a bit of olive oil..in the oven..they are wonderful!
    THIS! My favorite way to eat them. I also par boil them and grill them when we BBQ...OMG melt in your mouth awesome!

Omg never thought about grilling sweet potatoes...so doing that this weekend, that sounds delicious!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    umm...potatoes and bread?
    How about, not as much?
    I do like this suggestion as I refuse to give up anything...its all about moderation. I eat only whole grain bread and pasta and I do still eat potatoes. I just make sure they fit into my daily calorie allowance and I am fine. They do give me lots of carbs, but carbs are energy and I am a HS teacher for kids with Autism...I need energy!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And why are so many people opposed to your idea to cut out bread?

What essential nutrient are you afraid OP will be deficient in if she stops eating it?
  • kalielise7
    kalielise7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: It's okay to have them every now and then, but when my carb intake is getting high, I substitute CAULIFLOWER! You can mash it like mashed potatoes, bake it and dip it in ketchup, or make a pizza crust out of it!
  • meg7399
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes. They are delicious...more fiber..and if you skip the brown sugar and butter on them...and roast them with just a bit of olive oil..in the oven..they are wonderful!
    THIS! My favorite way to eat them. I also par boil them and grill them when we BBQ...OMG melt in your mouth awesome!

Omg never thought about grilling sweet potatoes...so doing that this weekend, that sounds delicious!
    I cut them into strips...maybe 4-6 depending on the size of the potato and boil them for 10 minutes or so. (This is important as they will burn to a crisp before getting soft enough to eat.) Be careful taking them out of the water as since they are partially cooked they can mush easily and skins peel off easily. I thne drizzle with a bit of EVOO add some salt and pepper and put them directly over flame turning until all sides have nice dark grill marks. so good!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you must have bread buy Ezekiel bread. It's pretty good toasted.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber and eat low card Tortillias. Mama Lupe brand. They're recommended in The Low Glycemic Diet. As to potatoes, you don't have to stop them entirely. Just not too many. Sweet potatoes are generally better than white. But if you feel like some potatoes from time to time, I say have some. Just not often and always eat meat at every meal.
  • meg7399
    Options
    And why are so many people opposed to your idea to cut out bread?

What essential nutrient are you afraid OP will be deficient in if she stops eating it?
    Not opposed, just I like it too much to give up. I believe things are good in moderation. Besides there are lots of vitamins in potatoes and fiber in bread.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I make sandwiches with Arnolds Multigrain Sandwich thins which are only 100 calories. For mashed potatoes...you can substitue cauliflower.

I make masbhed cauliflower with nutritional yeast (makes it taste cheesy), a little bit of greek yogurt, minced garlic and smart balance butter. so yummy!

Oh, my. I will have to try this!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Healthy Life whole wheat bread only has 35cals per slice and it's good. I still eat potatoes but I'm just more careful about what I put on them. Sweet potatoes are another option but I don't know about the carb content.
    If you don't mind using sugar substitutes, (I do not fear them!), use them to drop your carb count and then still enjoy your bread and potatoes in moderation.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I try to limit myself to one bread, pasta, rice, or potato serving per day. These carbs are my kryptonite. I buy whole grain bread like Nature's Own which has a 100% Wheat 50 calorie per slice that's pretty good (i.e. not like eating cardboard.) I also buy brown rice and whole wheat pasta. There's no fix for white potatoes but I only buy them every once and a while and it's usually consumed on a day that I am not counting calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    umm...potatoes and bread?
    How about, not as much?
    I do like this suggestion as I refuse to give up anything...its all about moderation. I eat only whole grain bread and pasta and I do still eat potatoes. I just make sure they fit into my daily calorie allowance and I am fine. They do give me lots of carbs, but carbs are energy and I am a HS teacher for kids with Autism...I need energy!

The idea that carbs are necessary for energy remind me of the related idea that consuming fat makes you fat. Our bodies are remarkably efficient at deriving energy from non-carb foods, if we only let them. I'm not saying no- or low- carb is the way to go, but I believe it is bad science to suggest that we humans *need* carbs to function. (For the record, I also challenge the CW that "whole grain" is healthier, and having once believed it myself.)

(And interestingly enough, there are some very interesting and promising research (and a whole lot of anecdotal stories) on low-carb diets for people with autism.)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat sandwich thins or bagel thins are a good sub.

I'm hooked on Thomas' Whole Wheat Bagel Thins and Natural Peanut Butter for breakfast. Also Flat Outs are good.

For potatoes, I just roast some sweet potatoes in the oven with chili powder and like tbsp of olive oil. I hear you can make "fake mashed potatoes" with cauliflower but my husband would never eat them so I haven't tried. I've actually had "potato salad" made with cauliflower that wasn't terrible, just weird...lol.

Good luck!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

I'm fairly new here and i find it a struggle to cut down my carbs! I'm eating more protein, but find it hard to cut out bread and potatoes, can anyone suggest replacement's or any advice? I swear i will turn in to a slice of bread the way i'm goin!

Thanks in advance :wink:
    Why don't you just count calories and eat bread and potatoes. Its good to learn to eat the foods you love in the right portions. This is where you come to learn how to eat for the rest of your life.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

I'm fairly new here and i find it a struggle to cut down my carbs! I'm eating more protein, but find it hard to cut out bread and potatoes, can anyone suggest replacement's or any advice? I swear i will turn in to a slice of bread the way i'm goin!

Thanks in advance :wink:

There is no substitute :)
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I replace all my potatoes with cauliflower! Mashed cauliflower is the BEST! Just prepare it like you would mashed potatoes!
    [/quote

I agree with this, cauliflower and swede are good replacements for potatoes, cauli for rice too. I try to use them as much as I can but do still have pots with a roast!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Instead of using bread to make sandwiches, try using romaine lettuce or napa cabbage - they fold easily into a taco shape. I also eat a lot of Wasa crispbreads... it's still a grain product, obviously, but much lower in calories than regular bread!

I'm still a fan of potatoes, and actually am eating MORE of them now. I used to eat a lot of rice, which is deceptively high-calorie, and a lot of pasta, which everyone knows is a calorie bomb. Baked potatoes aren't that high in calories, as long as you don't douse them in butter, sour cream and cheese. I like homemade chicken gravy on mine!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Why replace them? Everything in moderation!!

=)