Weight of the nation

Options
2»

Replies

• tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options

We here at MFP are doing it the right way. What I don't want to see is Soviet-style "indoctrination" - this is not something that can/should be fixed by government, it has to be fixed by US.

WE are the government. I'm so sick of people thinking that anything that is "socialized" is evil soviet style leninesque cubanism. God almighty people. Public school is a good thing, free and reduced lunch for the poor is a good thing, and nutritious food in the public schools that we fund would be a good thing. Just because the government provides and regulates it does not automatically make it "indoctrination" or bad.

What I'm talking about is micromanagement crap. Like disallowing farmer's markets in some local areas, or not allowing raw milk to be sold regardless of any precautions etc. That kind of stuff filtering to EVERYTHING we do dietarily is not a pleasant thought.

Look at the disagreement here on MFP as to the "best" diet - no carbs, no fat, calories only, or those that believe the food type matters. In the end, what works for me might not work for you. Could you imagine government regulations trying to sort all that out? Requiring "real" (as opposed to processed) foods in schools is a good idea, but you and I both know it won't stop there. Maybe they'll ban all meats? That might not work for the high protein, low carb diets some people swear by. Or, say they ban or restrict carbs? Same problem in reverse.

Ah well I agree with you in that case. I think the problem is any blanket solution. Not every body is the same or needs the same nutrition. It would be nice if each school had a nutritionist or two who could work with parents to develop a nutrition plan suited to each student. A lot of times people just don't realize that the crap they're putting in their body, and into their kids bodies, is almost toxic. I think that nipping it in the bud in elementary school would go a long way toward solving our problems. Never going to happen, but it would be nice. Childhood obesity in the US is a big problem and unless we do SOMETHING we're going to turn into a nation where fat is the norm and average is the oddity.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The government subsidizes many farming industries and the (processed) food lobby is huge! GIGANTIC. I think that it was really compelling when they spoke of soda. But, we need to stop subsidizing big food and start endorsing local and sustainable products. Peope eat badly because it is easier and cheaper.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I've been watching this series on hbo.com. It has been fascinating and terrifying all at once. I'm planning on watching the last part tonight.