Clothing Sizes - 26/28 and Higher

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
As of the other day I've lost 99.2lbs and I'm STILL in the same size clothes I was when I was 100lbs heavier. The tops are a lot loser and granted I can now actually FIT into 26/28 regular pants (with butter/zippers minus elastic) but I'm wondering when I'm gonna drop into the next size down.

It seems for smaller people sizes come off real quick (every 15-20lbs)...I've lost almost 100 and I've yet to hit the next size down.

So ladies/gents who were in that size can you please tell me how long it took you to fit into the next size down?

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 332 and was in a 24 or 26 depending on the brand. I am now 239 and can fit in a regular 18 for pants, although they are starting to get loose. You might want to take measurements because it seems odd to me to lose that much weight and not change clothing sizes at all.
  • s_jane
    s_jane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow sizes can really vary person to person! I'm 5'8" and at 260 I'm wearing a size 26 (which I was also wearing comfortably at 280). I think around 245 I start being able to wear a 24.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I agree, use a tape measure instead of just relying on a clothing tag. If you can see a difference on the scale but not on measurements then you need to re-evaluate your diet or if everything is OK then just be more patient & soon those inches will come off. Usually in the first phase of weight loss is mostly water.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A lot of times its mental. You still see yourself as being 100lbs heavier. I had a friend like that. She had lost over 100lbs and was still wearing plus size clothes.

I HAD to have an intervention...Cause even though I'm fluffy, I have ALWAYS been fashionable.

She realized that she was really more of a 12/14 by the time I finished working with her.

We both realized that much of her body image was self imposed....

Go out and buy a damn good bra, or two, or three (Fredericks has some good ones...Make sure to have the lady size you, don't just buy your same old size). Trying on clothes with underwire always helps, both with fit and style.

Wear good supportive underwear (helps hold in any skin flab you might have and makes things look smooth. Delta Burke makes good mild hold control top undies, you don't want anything too spanx-ish cause you can't reasonable wear spanx every day).

Now, if you started out at a 28, then I'm thinking 100lbs down you have to at LEAST be at a 18/20. I suggest you head to Kohls (I LOVE Kohls) or even Lane Bryant and go to town trying on stuff that you like. If you are a shorty like me, Lane Bryant is not going to work (the cut is all off) so I say Kohls or JC Penny or Macys. Good Luck!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have lost 86+ lbs and only went down 1 size. I am pretty sure when I started I was maxing out the size I had on (curse those stretchy waist bands) so it is probably closer to 1.5 sizes. Most of my shirts have had to go because they show too much cleavage now but darn pants haven't moved much. I did start a size higher than you but I think it is pretty similar. The higher sizes take longer. When you get closer to goal they will go quicker.
  • bush_woman187
    bush_woman187 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i tend to lose pounds but very little inches! Which really sucks! I have dropped at least 1 pant size, but when i look at other people's pictures they look like a different person at 10 pounds lost, but for me, it takes much longer and much more weight to really see the size change. keep up the good work. Congrats on your loss! it eventually comes off, but takes a while longer.
  • 170isreal
    170isreal Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    At 324 I was a 26, this was in November. I am now a size 22 in pants and a 18 in dresses. I have lost 50lbs. But things fit funny, I can barely find bottoms and I think it might be an issue of how we precieve ourselves. Good luck!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I've dropped around 75 lbs and lost 3 pants sizes but barely one shirt size.

And this isn't something that I perceive, I was so excited the other day, I went shopping. Couldn't even pull a smaller size shirt on.

Bodies are weird :(
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was a 24 at 232 when I first started (I'm 5'5" and I carry all of my weight in my abdomen and boobs). I am now in the lower 190s and I can comfortably wear a size 18. Some things I think I could wear a "17" but I am not quite at a 16 yet. I wore my 22/24 sizes until I decided to try Old Navy when they were having a sale earlier this year and found that I could fit in their clothes (18s, large and Xlarge) again. I also saved my old work pants that are size 20s and they fall off now. What size you wear is going to depend on how/where you are losing your weight and where you carry it. If you are losing proportionately all over, you may not see much of a difference until later on.
  • esselltee1156
    esselltee1156 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    at my largest...around 280...i was uncomfortable in 24/26...now at 242 im barely hanging on in a 22, but 20 is a little uncomfortable.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 388 now I'm 288.8. I haven't bothered with keeping track of my inches because I don't really see much of a difference. My weight is around my stomach and hips anyway which makes it hard to find pants and I think that's why I haven't changed sizes in the pant department. Even though my stomach is dramatically smaller it's still got lots of skin/fat and it's all resting at my widest part (hips). I think at my biggest I was busting out of 26/28 because I was busting seams in stretchy pants in that size.

I realize it takes people different times and bodies all vary it just gets frustrating. I'm hoping by 150lbs I'll be able to fit all the 24's I have in my closet.
  • OutOfBreath
    OutOfBreath Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bodies are weird :(

It's not just bodies. Retailers are weird too, since they vary from garment to garment. Not even just by brand name. :/
  • Theresafinallygetsitright
    Options
    Ive lost 87 pounds and have been wearing the same size scrubs - until today. And the ones I bought are 3 sizes smaller. It did seem to take a while for my "big girl" clothes to start getting roomy though so I know what you mean. Try on a pair of your larger 24s, you might be surprised :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The only time I really see inches lost are when I lift heavy weights. I've done this with just cardio (or mainly cardio) and the inches don't really go anywhere. The scale moves but not my pant size.

Contrast then (100lbs lost) with now- I'm only eleven pounds down but have already lost 23 inches and have already dropped a dress size.

I don't know what you're doing or am trying to make a recommendation here- just letting you know what's working for me.
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you hit size 20. I have no idea how but I see everybody posting that they are in a size 20. Different weights, different heights, different body types.... size 20.

I'm in a size 20 and I expect to be in it for a while. I've lost 21lbs and while 21lbs on someone who started at 150 might be 3 pant sizes it's no change for me. Big people clothes are built for a multitude of weights, which is why they look so horrible, and end up only fitting one special person while the rest of us look like we're covered in tent fabric.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on the TYPE of pants you're trying on. My jeans are always a size larger than the trousers I wear to work. Try on some dressy pants....I bet you'll find you're down a size there at least! :smile:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Nvm
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    At my heaviest I wore a size 26/28 but now 50lbs lighter I wear a size 24 comfortably and weigh 344lbs!!
  • Sweet_Pea_82
    Sweet_Pea_82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started out at 254 with size 22 pants. I have been in size 22 jeans forever. I have lost 24 pounds. I actually wore a size 20 jean the other day all day. They were a little snug, but I wore them! I have a lot of weight in my hips and stomach. Trying to work on that. My advice to you is to stick with it. You have already done 100 pounds. That is amazing! Don't get discouraged with yourself. You will have to buy a whole new wardrobe before you know it! :flowerforyou:
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 388 now I'm 288.8. I haven't bothered with keeping track of my inches because I don't really see much of a difference. My weight is around my stomach and hips anyway which makes it hard to find pants and I think that's why I haven't changed sizes in the pant department. Even though my stomach is dramatically smaller it's still got lots of skin/fat and it's all resting at my widest part (hips). I think at my biggest I was busting out of 26/28 because I was busting seams in stretchy pants in that size.

I realize it takes people different times and bodies all vary it just gets frustrating. I'm hoping by 150lbs I'll be able to fit all the 24's I have in my closet.

This is my body shape too. I carry a lot of my weight in my midsection and it took me forever to lose a pant size. Like my fat from my arms, legs and face def went first. The lighter I get the faster I drop sizes but it was frustrating the first40 lbs (dropped one) then the last 60 or so lbs I have dropped 4. It can be frustrating.