Clothing Sizes - 26/28 and Higher

Options

Replies

• starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My friends all say they have gone down a pants size after about 15lbs lost but I'm at 13lbs down and mine aren't even getting lose yet. It's really depressing. I think maybe it's because I'm so short and they're taller than me. I also tend to gain weight all over and I think it's coming off all over. I do measure and I know the inches are coming off...just not fast enough to make me happy
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one having this issue. I've lost 60lbs and haven't really changed sizes.
  • chamaica
    chamaica Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My highest was 425 I was wearing a plus size 36 from simply fashion and lane bryant, now I'm 338 wearing a size 24...keep in mind I'm tall (5'11)...
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started out at 254 with size 22 pants. I have been in size 22 jeans forever. I have lost 24 pounds. I actually wore a size 20 jean the other day all day. They were a little snug, but I wore them! I have a lot of weight in my hips and stomach. Trying to work on that. My advice to you is to stick with it. You have already done 100 pounds. That is amazing! Don't get discouraged with yourself. You will have to buy a whole new wardrobe before you know it! :flowerforyou:

See, I'm 5'5" and I started out at 280 in a size 20 (still in a 20 at 259). It just goes to show that different body types wear clothes differently. (I have huge boobs and a smaller waist with a horrible muffin top that never goes away no matter how loose the pants are).

Hang in there, you'll see a difference soon. :happy:
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I feel for you i really do - at my highest weight of 304 i was a size uk 28 and after losing 102 pounds i'm now a uk 16! You workout alot so would of thought the inches would of drop off too. My weight loss has been slow i rely on the clothes size, don't know how i would of coped not losing dress sizes. Keep going your will prob find once you start dropping sizes it will drop quickly. xxx
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    ive lost 33lb and haven't gone down a size yet (size 18 top, size 16 bottom) but im kind of in between a 16 and 18 now top half!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started off in size 22-24 (UK Sizing) - but I don't know if it was mainly because I was too embaressed to try on smaller sizes in shops as I didnt like things skin tight, preferred them baggy with room to move in.

But, I went to Marks & Spencer one day (after losing 25lbs) and thought "I'll try a completely different size, just for the hell of it, could do with a laugh" type comment to myself - I tried on a size 18 in jeans and they actually fitted!

So I think it is the inches going, rather than the lbs at the moment - I can wear a 18-20 top (still not comfortable in skin tight things) but I did buy a "Large" t-shirt at the weekend, instead of an XL or XXL and that fitted as well!!

And on a final note, I ordered a size 16 skirt from the Simply Be catalogue (gorgeous skirt - http://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/grazia-maxi-skirt-half-lined/vx371/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=5257#colour:,size: - if anyone wants a look) and that fitted as well!!

But I still can't get out of the habit of wearing my old size 24 jumpers/tops and 20/22 jeans to work, they're so comfortable - and yet I know I can fit into smaller clothes now!
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having troubles!!! When I started my journey, I was 280 at 5'8" and wore between a size 22 and 24. Now I'm 203 and am already down to a size 14 pants. Not sure about dress sizes....I can usually buy medium sized shirts and stuff too. It's odd with me because when I tell people my weight, no one ever believes me! They say that I look between 160-170 which is my goal weight but I still have a ways to go! And plus, why would I lie about being heavier than I am?? Right?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is our clothes grow with us. I had clothes I bought at 120kg and still fit at 137kg. So they did fit after losing 25kg. But they were hella baggy. I had one pair that my boyfriend kept insisting that we're too big. He proved his point by pulls tiny his foot on the cuff and they came straight off! (at home) It's only now I've started having to buy new clothes. I could still wear he size 22/24 if I wanted but when I'm truly a larger size 16 why would I want to?
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem. Even measuring i've not lost an inch (unless i'm really backward with a tape measure.)
    If anything i've lost 20lbs and gained inches. I think the difference between sizes is different higher up.. I dunno though.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Regarding inches I tried to do my measurments last night and went 'how did I put on?' If you're not measuring exactly it's not a good method. Photos are the best personally.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I also lost everywhere EXCEPT my abdomen (and therefore clothing sizes) for the first 45 pounds. Then I cut my sugar intake in half and started losing inches around the middle. That was also when other people FINALLY started to notice a difference. At 53 lbs, the people I work with everyday suddenly started asking if I'd lost weight.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    It just depends on where you lose your weight. I dropped pants sizes really slowly, but now I see that as I'm closer to goal the rest of my weight is mostly in my hips/thighs and I know I'll be dropping pants sizes quickly :D
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Started in 52 inch trousers, now in 42's. Jacket has gone from 60 inch to 50.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I think when we get down to the last 10-20 it'll be way more drastic.

I've only really done down about one or two pants sizes, my shirts about two sizes.

I just lose weight in my thighs way slower than the rest of my body. Your body will lose where it wants lol.

Keep in mind your body comp is probably changing.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I've just tried on a pair of pants that wouldnt go past my knees.(motivated to by this thread!) 2 sizes down from my biggest.

They fit perfectly.

You'll suprise yourself, honestly. I'm thinking you're not gonna notice the change in your clothes in the same way you can't always tellin the mirror.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I think there are three reasons why you haven't gone down in size yet.

1. Larger clothes fit differently. The difference between a size 12 and a size 10 is a set amount....at a certain size a person will not fit into a size 10 no matter what. But you said it yourself, you can now fit into pants with zippers and buttons rather than elastic. Elastic pants accomodate a variety of sizes because they adapt to the body, so three people that are three different sizes could probably fit into the same size elastic pants, albiet a bit tighter for the largest person but they will still fit.

2. Clothing is not an exact science, not only do sizes (especially womens) vary from store to store, they can vary from item to item. I once bought two polo shirts at the same store....same size, same style, just two different colors. One of them was almost too big and the other was considerable snugger.

3. It depends on where you've lost the weight. Most clothes size depends on bust size and midsection. If you've lost weight from your face, arms, legs, or butt it won't have much bearing on how you're clothes fit. Of course things will be a little roomier, but if you haven't lost much from your midsection (that tends to be the last place I lose) then you'll still need to be in your original pants size to fit your waist.

Don't get down on yourself though, losing 100 pounds is a huge accomplishment, your clothes size will decline soon enough. When I lost 50 pounds, while my clothes were big on me, I couldn't go down to the next size until I had lost 30 pounds, and even then if I was having a bad day (a little bloated) my pants were pretty tight.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one having this issue. I've lost 60lbs and haven't really changed sizes.
    Me too! All I want is to go clothes shopping for smaller clothes, lol.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting. I'm just going from a UK 24/26 into a UK 20 now, I'm currently about 260 lb/120 kilos. I've only lost 37 lbs but I've been weight training and quite honestly, I've noticed more of a shape change than a weight change - I'm smaller in shape than I was at about 95 kilos.

Isn't it strange how clothes fit/don't fit based on designs and body shapes at whatever weight? :noway:
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I started at 400 pounds, and a size 38 / 5X.

I am now 275 and wear a size 22 / 2X.

You stated earlier that the size 26's when you started this were tight... maybe you were actually a bigger size, and didnt realize it. That could be playing a role in this - do the clothes you wore 100 pounds ago fit differently?

I want to tell you, about 3 weeks ago, a girl came up to me at work, as I was walking back from the ladies room, and told me she noticed I was pulling up my pants all day long (at the time, I was wearing 24's and 26's) - she was right. I went home, and that weekend, I tried on my size 22 jeans and they FIT, and fit nicely!! Not too tight, and had a little room to move in them!

A few things to do -
    Take your measurements - you might be losing inches and not realizing it. When I hit stalls, the inches tend to drop quicker - provided I'm doing the work I am supposed to be!
    Go out to a store and try on pants in smaller sizes - the ones you have in your closet, if they are "old" might be smaller than the current size 24. (I had this happen - a pair of size 26 pants I bought 7 years ago just fits me now, and I wear a 22).
    Get new bras and underwear - you have lost weight, and the same underclothes wont flatter. I didnt realize this until I was grocery shopping, and my underwear fell down to my knees! How embarrassing!!!
    Start a toning or strength training program if you havent already - I lost about 100 pounds up until January - then, I started strength training... while I have only lost 25 pounds since then, I have lost an amazing amount of inches, and dropped from a size 30 to a 22 in that time - simply from Pilates, lifting weights and (more recently) running.

Good luck to you!!