I ran my first 5K!!!

Options
meluc
meluc Posts: 153 Member
Hi All,

I've been using the Couch to 5K (C25K) program to train to run a 5K. I'm not done the program quite yet (@Week 8 day 3), but I signed up and ran in the Mother's Day 5K run here in Calgary.

I was very scared (almost crying actually) before the race. Quite nervous, asking myself what was I thinking, negative thoughts in my head, and the 18 thousand people at the race didn't help my anxiety level one bit....

BUT, I started running, I cleared the negative thoughts, I waved at spectators (Total stangers), I high-fived the course volunteers, I never stopped running (even uphill) and I sprinted at the end!! I DID IT! I ran 5K in 38.19 Mins and I am still so pumped and proud of myself!!

Keep up and trust the training, this program really does work. I was literally sitting on the couch and now I can run!

beep-beep :wink:

Replies

• gregersons
    gregersons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!!! I run my 1st 5K this weekend (color run Racine, WI). Wish me good luck!
  • MzVonda
    MzVonda Posts: 87
    Options
    That is flipping awesome!!!! Way to go!
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Great job!
  • Jules_1111
    Jules_1111 Posts: 79
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congratulations!
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    what site are you using for the program?
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Awesome race. Congratulations!! You're a runner!!
  • sidhe31
    sidhe31 Posts: 96
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5K run. You certainly had a beautiful day for it (I ran the 10K at the same event). Keep up the good work.
  • ann2012evans
    Options
    WOW! Thats great... I am working just to complete my first 5k walkathon I couldn't imagine a run. I'm up to walking 3 miles now but 5 miles I still have a lot of training to do. You did am awesome job. High 5!!!:happy:
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!!! I run my 1st 5K this weekend (color run Racine, WI). Wish me good luck!

Good luck!!! I'm doing the color run in July in Ann arbor, Mi
  • Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud!
  • nicholaimccrackenn
    Options
    hey, good job. i was introduced to this site by my gym teacher shortly after i decided to start jogging. big lungs run in my family and i found, despite not really doing any exercise before i started, i could run 4km right away with little effort. im almost done my fifth week and ive lost 21 pounds and can run 14km without stopping at a good pace. im a fit guy now and im really satisfied.
  • meluc
    Options
    what site are you using for the program?

I downloaded an App on my Iphone called "Couch to 5K". LOVE IT!!
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Great job! My first race, I was in such a great mood I was high fives to everyone. There's nothing like it
  • 11gordo
    11gordo Posts: 4
    Options
    That is awesome. I have always wanted to run a marathon. I may condition myself to run the PF chang in AZ next year.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    That is awesome - congrats! I finished c25k in March, but my first race is in about 10 days - I get nervous when I think about it, and it's not even a really 'serious' race. But it will be my first in a crowd, so I'm excited about the whole experience.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    5k's are addictive so be careful, ha ha. I did my first one in April and last weekend and my next is on June 9th. I have one sched for every month leading up to the biggie in Sept. A 5k mud run with obstacle courses called a freak 5k! A great accomplishment!
  • MammaKess
    MammaKess Posts: 6
    Options
    That is so awesome! You brought tears to my eyes....
  • meluc
    Options
    5k's are addictive so be careful, ha ha. I did my first one in April and last weekend and my next is on June 9th. I have one sched for every month leading up to the biggie in Sept. A 5k mud run with obstacle courses called a freak 5k! A great accomplishment!

I hear ya!! My next one is on May 27th and I'm looking online to find other 5K's... Mud Run looks scary but fun! Good luck!!
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    That's inspiring! I walked (fast) my first 5K in April and I'm doing another one in June - I wanted to lose more weight before I started the C25K, but now I think maybe I'll just try it!!

Congratualtions and thank you for sharing!
  • wendrz
    wendrz Posts: 118
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! Keep up your excitement from that race and use it to motivate you into other 5K's and beyond! What a great feeling for you and the support you get from people at the races is amazing......that is exactly why I keep doing them!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!