going CRAZY on how many cals I should eat????

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It gives me 2668.

Deducting 20% gives you around 2000 calories.

deducting 500 cals for 1lb a week gives you 2100.

Even deducting the maximum recomended 1000 calories gives you 1700 calries.

There is no need to drop to 1400, and a deficit that large could even be detrimental.

Thank you for the insight! I will definitely increase my budget and see how that works.

Extra comment to ease the mind.

If you think all those numbers are high, think about what you are comparing them too.

The low numbers you have been eating?
    What you used to eat previously?
    Nothing because you really didn't pay attention to total daily calories before logging?

You might pick a day in your food diary in the past before logging, and log a common day of eating. All the fast food, pre-packaged, ect foods you might eat in a day. Now you've got an idea how much you used to eat.
    And 2100 should sound small compared to I'm betting close to 3000 cal's.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hello Mr.Bales, I like your mustache, how long did it take you to grow it?

The times I've shaved it off lately - 3 wks back on.

Originally in high school senior year, I don't know. But it's scary to think at the time, I thought it was as thick as it is now, and it was no where near. Plus the hair was blonde and the stache was black.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    filessharenatorcom_YG6vv_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181195.gif
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    Age?
    Body Fat%?

I'll tell you how much to eat daily.

I am just starting, but I'm using this guys formula!
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I usually burn around 350 calories during an hour long Zumba class and I go all out. Gyms and Zumba instructors advertise that you can burn between 800 and 1000 calories but this must be for people that are newbies to exercise and weigh a lot.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    Age?up
    Body Fat%?

I'll tell you how much to eat daily.

5'8
    and um, all body fat, lol. JK

5'8" is 1800-2k daily.
    Dont eat back these calories but also try not burning so many in a day.
    1k is more than your body is actually able to lose the fat and is overkill.
    Shoot for 600 at the most.
    I have women in your range losing a good amount of fat lifting heavy 3 times a week for 200 cal burns and walking for 20 mins 2 days a week.
    Stop killing yourself.
    =D

Figure out your lean mass or body fat%.

Grab a calculator and figure protein and fat out.
    1g protein per pound of LBM.
    .40-1g Fat per pound LBM.
    then adjust MFP settings to best reflect those numbers in a %.

Enjoy your fat loss!
    =D

thank you! Love answers that make sense and don't make me sound like an idiot. lol. You rock!

PM me if you need help.

This is good information...note only 2 days a week walking...that's for cardiovascular, exercising doesn't help you lose weight when you eat back calories, and unless your starving in some 3rd world country, starvation mode is a myth...forget about it, you have fat to live....so let the body use it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It gives me 2668.

Deducting 20% gives you around 2000 calories.

deducting 500 cals for 1lb a week gives you 2100.

Even deducting the maximum recomended 1000 calories gives you 1700 calries.

There is no need to drop to 1400, and a deficit that large could even be detrimental.

Thank you for the insight! I will definitely increase my budget and see how that works.

Extra comment to ease the mind.

If you think all those numbers are high, think about what you are comparing them too.

The low numbers you have been eating?
    What you used to eat previously?
    Nothing because you really didn't pay attention to total daily calories before logging?

You might pick a day in your food diary in the past before logging, and log a common day of eating. All the fast food, pre-packaged, ect foods you might eat in a day. Now you've got an idea how much you used to eat.
    And 2100 should sound small compared to I'm betting close to 3000 cal's.

Hello Mr.Bales, I like your mustache, how long did it take you to grow it?

LOL
  • heybales
    Options
    Mr.Dan you should grow one too.

Should it look like Ron Swanson's? duck and run!
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I read:

going CRAZY on how many cats I should eat????

Obviously, it's time for bed.

Now pondering the calories of a cat.
  • SJS39
    SJS39 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245588.php#post

The article is BS but the calc is decent. For u it says 2145, if u eat 500 less per day u will lose 1 pound a week. And anyone who says it depends on the type of calories eaten (protein, fat, carb) is wrong. If you want to lose more than 1 lb a week than exercise. Also if you don't want to plateau than you need to update your BMR and calories burned exercising when your weight changes. The BMR is probably a little high because 1lb of muscle burns more than 1lb of fat and since you're overweight due to fat the BMR may be a little high.

PS Assuming your Zumba was an hour I'd be pretty shocked to find out if burned 1000 calories....
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Very interesting post, took me a while to figure it out too!! Here's how I'd explain it - and I did this for me also!! I'm open to corrections obviously!

1lb of fat on your body = 3500 calories (stored energy).

========
    How much to lose weight?

Being alive = 2000 calories (aka Your basic metabolic rate, or "BMR")
    Running up stairs = 1500 calories
    Walking to Work = 1000 calories
    BALANCE: 4500 calories (energy needed to do the above things)

If you DON'T EAT 4500 calories, your body will FIND the energy from the FAT you have stored.

So lets say on this day you EAT 1000 calories. Your body will find the extra 3500 calories it needs from your FAT.

**** 1lb of fat stored = 3500 calories. **** (fact according to WIKI)

So you will lose a 1lb.

(I've tried to make the math easy so you can get your head round it - healthy weight loss is a lb or so a WEEK!)

========

Always remember than BMR and calories burn figures are different for E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E - so you will need to adjust as you go along to find your own optimum weight loss. For me:

My BMR: 2000 calories (well, 2089 actually)
    My calorie goal: 1500 calories a day

This means that my deficit (500 a day) will be taken from my fat stores and I will lose roughly a pound a week. (1lb of fat = 3500 calories).

If you want to get more advanced about it - if you eat far far less - your body will go into defensive mode and hold on to the fat (because it thinks you are starving) and take it from somewhere else... but that's a whole nother story/post.

Hope this helps! I found it difficult to get my head around at first.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Very interesting post, took me a while to figure it out too!! Here's how I'd explain it - and I did this for me also!! I'm open to corrections obviously!

1lb of fat on your body = 3500 calories (stored energy).

========
    How much to lose weight?

Being alive = 2000 calories (aka Your basic metabolic rate, or "BMR")
    Running up stairs = 1500 calories
    Walking to Work = 1000 calories
    BALANCE: 4500 calories (energy needed to do the above things)

If you DON'T EAT 4500 calories, your body will FIND the energy from the FAT you have stored.

So lets say on this day you EAT 1000 calories. Your body will find the extra 3500 calories it needs from your FAT.

**** 1lb of fat stored = 3500 calories. **** (fact according to WIKI)

So you will lose a 1lb.

(I've tried to make the math easy so you can get your head round it - healthy weight loss is a lb or so a WEEK!)

========

Always remember than BMR and calories burn figures are different for E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E - so you will need to adjust as you go along to find your own optimum weight loss. For me:

My BMR: 2000 calories (well, 2089 actually)
    My calorie goal: 1500 calories a day

This means that my deficit (500 a day) will be taken from my fat stores and I will lose roughly a pound a week. (1lb of fat = 3500 calories).

If you want to get more advanced about it - if you eat far far less - your body will go into defensive mode and hold on to the fat (because it thinks you are starving) and take it from somewhere else... but that's a whole nother story/post.

Hope this helps! I found it difficult to get my head around at first.

This is horrible advice and shouldnt be followed.
    Please research BMR, TDEE and how to attain a BroScar.

Granted that a pound of fat contains 3500 cals is true, it takes more than just cutting 3500 cals a week from your caloric intake.
    If we had time we could go over hormonal response in Men and Women and talk about Leptin, Cortisol, Adrenalin/noradrenalin amongst other fun things.

If you are "properly" dieting, youll be eating above BMR but below TDEE.

To make the math easy, OP should goto Fat to Fit Tools and use the military Body Fat Calc.
    Take that info and enter it into the BMR tool.

within the BMR tool if you enter your current weight as your goal weight, youll get TDEE displayed at the bottom according to activity.
    Most ppl on MFP will fall in the Light Activity category.
    If you were to eat this Light Activity Calorie you should maintain weight.
    That said if OP were to eat anything below that she should be losing weight.
    The closer you eat to TDEE the better chances you have of maintaining lean body mass while mobilizing fat.
    MFPs settings will have that number cut really low and asking you to workout to eat back calories to NET that number.
    Or
    You could delete MFPs workouts Per Week setting and just eat about 15-20% below TDEE to just lose fat.
    Thats if you have proper training already set in place to stimulate maintenance of lean tissue.

Nobody except morbidly obese ppl should be eating below BMR for any reason.
    It's asking for lean mass loss and is very counter productive.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thank you Dan for the info you've been providing. I think I'm finally starting to understand this. The one question I have is this:

Without knowing my BF%, my BMR is 1684. Lightly active daily intake is 1951. Cutting even 15% that you suggested is below BMR. So should I just eat BMR?

I appreciate any feedback! :flowerforyou:
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    AGREED!!! You should eat no less than 1200, and I say eat the 1000 that you burned...
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Thank you Dan for the info you've been providing. I think I'm finally starting to understand this. The one question I have is this:

Without knowing my BF%, my BMR is 1684. Lightly active daily intake is 1951. Cutting even 15% that you suggested is below BMR. So should I just eat BMR?

I appreciate any feedback! :flowerforyou:

1900 is what you eat.
    Dont fuss with eating back calories unless you feel so famished that you just gotta do it.

Look at it this way.
    If you burn 2200 cals a day (1684x1.3 appx) x7=15400 cals burned a week in regular daily activity.
    You cut at 1900 cals a day x7=13300 cals consumed per week.
    Its okay to over eat a day or 2 a week.
    Just be smart and feed when you need!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The plan just above will have you losing about a half pound a week. Are you ok with it taking 2 years of meticulous logging to get to your goal?

There is absolutely no reason you can't eat below your BMR. Research it yourself. Ask your doctor. It's not dangerous. Carrying around 50 extra lbs. is dangerous. Racking up such small deficits you will almost inevitably give up is dangerous.
  • CazLovesCalories
    CazLovesCalories Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i'd say eat back your exercise calories and make sure you are actually burning what you think you are burning because MFP usually extremely overestimates calories burned.

Thankfully my fitbit is pretty good at working out how many calories I burn :)
    i have a fitbit, but it doesnt actually count the calories i burn...it a pedometer not a HRM. i'm curious as to how yours does this?

Edit- i think you are counting those calories it says you burned just doing your normal routine...thats not accurate. and its not an accurate way to measure how many calories you burn during a work out. you need something that tracks your heart rate to do this.

I use the record function when I work out (or rather the stop watch)
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i'd say eat back your exercise calories and make sure you are actually burning what you think you are burning because MFP usually extremely overestimates calories burned.

Thankfully my fitbit is pretty good at working out how many calories I burn :)
    i have a fitbit, but it doesnt actually count the calories i burn...it a pedometer not a HRM. i'm curious as to how yours does this?

Edit- i think you are counting those calories it says you burned just doing your normal routine...thats not accurate. and its not an accurate way to measure how many calories you burn during a work out. you need something that tracks your heart rate to do this.

I use the record function when I work out (or rather the stop watch)
    but that doesnt really tell you how many calories you actually burned, does it? i think in order for you to know how many you burned you may need some thing that records your heart rate since everyone burns differently.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    The plan just above will have you losing about a half pound a week. Are you ok with it taking 2 years of meticulous logging to get to your goal?

There is absolutely no reason you can't eat below your BMR. Research it yourself. Ask your doctor. It's not dangerous. Carrying around 50 extra lbs. is dangerous. Racking up such small deficits you will almost inevitably give up is dangerous.

I have close to 200 peeps who would not agree as they measure the losses weekly.
    The effects on leptin and other hormones would inevitably have them stalling within a couple weeks.
    Staying closer to TDEE will have them losing weight more often and feeding possible gains if they are that heavy.

And

What benefit to maintaining lean mass does she have while eating below what her vital organs need to survive?
    If you answer "None" you are correct!

OP says her BMR is in the 1600s.
    If she works out 3 times a week she would have a TDEE of about 2200.
    Cut 20% off and lose the fat.
    Its simple!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Her vital organs and her lean mass are not limited to today's intake. If they were, no doctor or accepted diet plan would ever have you go below your BMR. They all do. I have never seen a diet plan (outside this forum) that had that floor. I think I've read about as many books on it as you have peeps.