Smoke Free Group

Options
Hey guys! I recently quit smoking and started a thread about it and it was suggested that I should start a group for me and others who are struggling with quitting smoking. I think that it would be great to get feed back from others that are going through the same trials and tribulations that go with quitting for good.

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I quit a few months ago myself. At first, I was doing good about not gaining weight because of it. For some reason, the past month has been a lot harder. I miss my after dinner cig and I feel like something is missing. I can't seem to find something to make me feel satisfied that dinner is over. I end up snacking to try to get that. I'm rapidly undoing what I worked so hard for. I just don't know what to do to get it back under control.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    i too have been doing well with not replacing cigs with food...so far. Have you tried chewing gum (sugar free of course, I love extra strawberry banana its like dessert) or may b if you want to snack try some raw veggies like carrotts or celery that have few cals....I too am afraid that I will undo all my hard work, but think about it this way, atleast you will have more energy to exercise and can breathe much better!

Congrats on 84 days! I can't wait til I can say Ive been smoke free for that long. Its been two weeks and it feels like 2 years!!!!!
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I don't smoke, but this is a great thread. Too all the smokers, congrats on whatever goal you've made so far. Thats awesome. Please for the sake of yourself, your loved ones and the rest of us....keep it up!

I have a close friend. Who's smoked most of his life. His parents smoke. His siblings smoke. His mother just had a stroke a few months ago, she continues to smoke. Its just really sad. My buddy, he's got a two-year old daughter now. He smokes a pack a day. I know he wants to quit and he just won't try.

I was wondering what is everyone's anti-smoking plan? How do you do it? Whats your methods?
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    can i join?....i'd like to quit smoking...i havent yet built up the strength to do it =/...im at about a pack and a half a day...not only are they expensive but i cant run as far as i used to be able to
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for 10 months now, the first month or so will be the hardest, if you can make it through that you will be fine!! I found the best way for me was to change my existing habits and to give up some of my other addictions (seems crazy....but you need to).
    I gave up caffeine shortly before I quit smoking, so I really didn't "need" a coffee, it was more of just a guilty pleasure. Once I quit, I stopped drinking coffee as that was an association I had with smoking. As for that yummy after dinner smoke, I took up walking which is what lead me to my weight loss goals. I kept myself busy by walking, working out & concentrating on healthier snacks. The less I sat around at home, the less I felt the urge to need a smoke.

It's still hard some days.....take a HUGE deep breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth until the anxiety feeling passes. Remember WHY you decided to quit in the first place!! :wink:

Best of luck to you both and good job for getting this far!
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    I just want to say congratulations to all of you who quit smoking!! I know how hard the temptations can be, especially when you get stressed and you have to find a healthy alternative to what you use to do (smoking). I have been smoke free for almost three years now, and I must say it was a long and hard journey, but my body is thanking me for it now! Everytime you feel that urge to pick up a cigarette, just think about what the inside of your lungs will look like if you continue to smoke, and think about all the years you will add to your life by not smoking! Also, and this worked for me, but everytime I wanted a cigarette, I would get down and do 10 pushups, or 50 crunches, or something to that effect. By the time I got done, the urge was gone, and I was toning up too. Remember, it only takes 28 days for the body to stop craving the nicotene, then after that it is just the habit of smoking that you really are dealing with. I know all of you will be strong, and I am here to support you 100%!!!!!

Christina
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free since May 29 @ 3:30p.m.:bigsmile:

A few weeks ago, I could have told you EXACTLY how long ago that was...but now, I don't even know. There is way too much other stuff to worry about than me missing a cig. Once you get past the initial withdrawals, it will get better.

Most people replace cigs with food or a patch or a pill or a nic gum, me..well I replaced it with healthy living. When I really want a cig, I try to do some exercise. Try walking around the block or running in place or jumping jacks. Bet you will not think about it for long! :wink:

Not to get all mushy, but the best thing I ever did for myself was quit smoking - the only way that I have stayed smoke free as long as I have is because I asked God to take it from me because I know that my "human" side may not have had the will power.

So, when the going gets tough, my advise are these 2 things...pray & jump around a little while!

I'll be around if you need a shoulder to cry on otherwise! Lots of hugs to you both & I'll keep you in my prayers!
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I just want to say congratulations to all of you who quit smoking!! I know how hard the temptations can be, especially when you get stressed and you have to find a healthy alternative to what you use to do (smoking). I have been smoke free for almost three years now, and I must say it was a long and hard journey, but my body is thanking me for it now! Everytime you feel that urge to pick up a cigarette, just think about what the inside of your lungs will look like if you continue to smoke, and think about all the years you will add to your life by not smoking! Also, and this worked for me, but everytime I wanted a cigarette, I would get down and do 10 pushups, or 50 crunches, or something to that effect. By the time I got done, the urge was gone, and I was toning up too. Remember, it only takes 28 days for the body to stop craving the nicotene, then after that it is just the habit of smoking that you really are dealing with. I know all of you will be strong, and I am here to support you 100%!!!!!

Christina

pushups for smoking? your so boot.
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I was wondering what is everyone's anti-smoking plan? How do you do it? Whats your methods?

I actually quit cold turkey. I tried the lozenges, but they tasted awful & made my stomach hurt. My husband used the patches and they worked wonderfully for him. I didn't use them because I have really sensative skin & I was worried about irritation from them.
  • CrystalT
    Options
    can i join?....i'd like to quit smoking...i havent yet built up the strength to do it =/...im at about a pack and a half a day...not only are they expensive but i cant run as far as i used to be able to

We quit because of the prices. Here in Arkansas, it went up like $1.50 or $2 within a month or so. We just couldn't keep paying those kinds of prices.

I really believe that anyone can stop smoking if they really want it. However if your boyfriend smokes, it will make it 10 times hard to quit if he is still smoking. I tried quitting a year ago, but my husband was still smoking and it was just too tempting not to have the occasional cig when I was stressed. I picked the habit back up when it was announced that the company I work for was being bought. The worry over a possible layoff and the fact there were cigarettes in the house were just too much.

We quit together this time and it worked a lot better. We've had some pretty awful things happen over the past month and neither of us has broken down yet. Now that I think about it, maybe I'm not gaining weight because I quit smoking. Maybe I'm gaining weight because of the stress and worry over the other things going on.
  • new_Kendra
    new_Kendra Posts: 80
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth when you have a craving or directly after your meal. This works well when you are at home. I am now 6 days smoke free and it hasn't been TOO bad. They discontinued my brand of cigarettes which makes it ALOT easier for me. You are an inspiration! Good luck...it is well worth it.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey after 34 years, on May 22, 2009.

No patches, gum, or other aid. I told everyone I was going to quit on that date and there was no way I could let any of them (particularly my children) know I wasn't strong/determined enough to do it.

I'm here on MFP because I don't want to put on weight as a result of quitting, but want to get fit instead.
  • vrdz3215
    Options

Absolutely you can join! I have been in your shoes and wanted to quit but did not think that i would have the strength. I tried cold turkey and that just did not work for me. I am on the patch, but I only wear it while I am at work. I will admit that I have slipped twice, but instead of going and buying a pack after the slip, (which is what ive done in the past when I tried to quit) I just chocked it up to a slip and am still smoke free...I have to say that I feel so much better, have more energy and my teeth look whiter..(lol). I think what has helped me so much this time is having a good support system, my BF does not smoke and has wanted me to quit since we have been together because he watched his mother die of COPD as a result of smoking 3 packs a day for 30 years.

I have also decided that once I am completely smoke free for 1 month I am going to use the money that I have saved to buy the ridculously expensive HRM that I have wanted forever but couldn't afford.
    What are some goals/rewards that everyone else has or are planning on?
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I'll admit, what my hubby and I did isn't for everyone. We both really like tattoos. So we saved $15 each per week the first 10 weeks we quit. At the end, we each had $150 to spend on a tattoo. We got the tattoos at the end of June and they are both healed up now. It was his idea, but I really like it because it is a permanent reminder of what we have achieved.
  • vrdz3215
    Options
    I'll admit, what my hubby and I did isn't for everyone. We both really like tattoos. So we saved $15 each per week the first 10 weeks we quit. At the end, we each had $150 to spend on a tattoo. We got the tattoos at the end of June and they are both healed up now. It was his idea, but I really like it because it is a permanent reminder of what we have achieved.

I like that idea, although you are right it isnt for everyone..but it worked for ya'll and ya'll deserved it! Thats awesome! If you don't mind me asking what did you get a tat of? I have 2 and want to get just 1 more....
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I got a bird on my shoulder with some flowers surrounding it.
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options

Christina

pushups for smoking? your so boot.

Lol, yeah I know.....but this was three years ago, give me a break!:tongue:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    My reward for quitting was a family membership at the YMCA. It costs about half what I would have been spending on smokes, so I'm still saving some. And, both my partner and I, plus all three of the children, get to play and work out and have fun.
  • kmg621
    kmg621 Posts: 11
    Options
    How do I join? How do a make a "smoke free" box... I love it! It's motivational! Thanks!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this group!!

I quit the first week of May... I did really well until I ended the patch a little over a week ago. This past week I have been craving really bad... not craving the nicotine, I'm just craving holding and the act of smoking. I really miss it.

I think its because a lot of my family and my bf's family smokes so whenever I go out they all smoke. Its great because I can smell their cigarette smoke and its soothing to me but at the same time it makes me miss it even more.

Any tips to not miss it so much??