Americans...

Options
14567810»

Replies

• stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I work in the medical field and I only use the metric system. Throws my kids and husband off but I just tell them, you learned it school just like I did so get used to it :laugh:
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well my weight would look better in kilograms, just saying.

^^^^ :drinker:
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Freedom isn't free
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    GasMasterFlas wrote:
    Metric-only food labels are illegal. That government-imposed ban costs us money.
    How so?
    The Fair Packaging and Labeling Act makes it a federal offence to have metric-only labels on most packaged food.
    I understand that. How does that cost anyone money? Manufacturers can avoid the fine by using standard or standard and metric.

Any government constraint costs money. It's called a technical barrier to trade. Banning metric-only products means that American consumers face the costs of relabeling or a restricted market. In addition, we face the cost of government officials and court staff to enforce the ban.

Here's a government survey showing some American companies defy the ban on metric-only labels:
    http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/metric/upload/Marketplace-Assessment-Metric-Labeling-Retail-Stores-Dec2009.pdf
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    GasMasterFlas wrote:
    Metric-only food labels are illegal. That government-imposed ban costs us money.
    How so?
    The Fair Packaging and Labeling Act makes it a federal offence to have metric-only labels on most packaged food.
    I understand that. How does that cost anyone money? Manufacturers can avoid the fine by using standard or standard and metric.
    Any government constraint costs money. It's called a technical barrier to trade. Banning metric-only products means that American consumers face the costs of relabeling or a restricted market. In addition, we face the cost of government officials and court staff to enforce the ban.

Here's a government survey showing some American companies defy the ban on metric-only labels:
    http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/metric/upload/Marketplace-Assessment-Metric-Labeling-Retail-Stores-Dec2009.pdf
    Meh. I'm a big believer in the best government being the one that governs least, but... Having to label both standard and metric is a huge burden? Really?
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around

What's next? Should we rip off our steering wheels and jam them over onto the passenger side? Will that make you happy?
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    GasMasterFlas wrote:
    GasMasterFlas wrote:
    How so?

Meh. I'm a big believer in the best government being the one that governs least, but... Having to label both standard and metric is a huge burden? Really?

The market produces metric-only labels. I don't know why. I'm just telling you the FPLA makes it illegal.