Americans...

Options

Replies

• kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    We are special. Stubborn. Snowflakes.

GOD BLESS 'MERICA! You take yer funny measurin' system and crazy talk back to Europe!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Does the United States use imperial in the nutrition facts on the food?

Yes, most things are labeled with serving sizes in cups or ounces, but then grams are also listed beside those measurements on some things. There isn't a required system for serving sizes, so the manufacturers can use either or both. However, the macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) are listed in grams and the micronutrients (sodium, cholesterol, etc.) are listed in either milligrams or the % of the RDA. Oh, and when you're looking at the food label and see a % by the nutrients, that is the percent provided by one serving of that food for a 2000 calorie diet.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    screw that, if a guy tells me how big his package is in centimeters, I cant automatically hold up my hands and measure that out for myself.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is...what do countries using the metric system call a pound cake?
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Be like the Uk and use both ;)

not sure our tiny American brains can handle that noise
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    screw that, if a guy tells me how big his package is in centimeters, I cant automatically hold up my hands and measure that out for myself.

I prefer guys I can measure in inches.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is...what do countries using the metric system call a pound cake?
    Royale with Cheese
  • kal_el83
    kal_el83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.

I went to school in New York State, and I learned the metric system before this crazy "imperial" crap. I remember asking my teacher why we couldn't just use the metric system if it was so easy to use..... Of course the standard response that "adults" always give when they don't know, or think we couldn't possibly understand shot out of her mouth: "Because that's just the way it is."

An no..., it's not a "big challenge" to look up a conversion (or heaven forbid, LEARN the conversions), but it is a HUGE annoyance and waste of time looking it up for most people when the need arises.

J/sayin'...........
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around

Actually, I wish we didn't already compel people to wear seatbelts... then there would be fewer stupid people for me to rant about.

Ppl r all about choice when killing babies UT they feel the govtmust compel us to wear seatbelts

And more organs for donation.

That too.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    The metric system makes me curse. I'm actually pretty sure everyone should switch to my special measurement system. It's the one where you just compare whatever it is to something else. How big was the hole in the floor? Oh, about 3 grapefruits. How heavy was that dead hooker? Oh, about 7 bowling balls. See? It works.
    Im totally on board. You have no idea how many times I have had to estimate the weight and volume (trunk space) of a dead hooker.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Speak for yourself. Many of us do use metric measurements on a daily basis, and don't moan about it.

One thing is certain, though. I love the fact that we have our own systems of measurement, and do not conform to the rest of the world. Why should we have to? Why should any nation have to?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Guys would like using centimeters for that though because there are 2.54 centimeters in an inch so if he is 6 inches, then he would be 15.24 centimeters. Just saying the larger number would make them feel so much better about themselves! Of course, since most of them lie about it anyway, we'd still have to get out a tape measure to confirm his honesty. LOL
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself. Many of us do use metric measurements on a daily basis, and don't moan about it.

One thing is certain, though. I love the fact that we have our own systems of measurement, and do not conform to the rest of the world. Why should we have to? Why should any nation have to?

oh heavens it was a joke
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I was reviewing a plan set just this morning that used Imperial and SI interchangeably. One measurement would be Imperial, the next in SI. It's easy enough to convert in your head and go.

But in all fairness, it's not our own system, it's a British system that we stole when they decided they wanted to be more like the French :tongue:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

It just gives us a choice... ;-) God Bless 'Merica, where I can choose which system to measure in. :drinker:
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

I was reviewing a plan set just this morning that used Imperial and SI interchangeably. One measurement would be Imperial, the next in SI. It's easy enough to convert in your head and go.

But in all fairness, it's not our own system, it's a British system that we stole when they decided they wanted to be more like the French :tongue:
    (insert French joke)
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

oh heavens it was a joke
    Yeah, I grasped that. My retort was aimed at other folks that can't fathom using both.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Oh that explains it... :wink:
  • k8blujay2
    Options

(insert French joke)

Like: Who would want to be like the French? They can't even win a war against themselves... :wink: :tongue:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Take it up with the President. We've considered it, agreed to it, and backed out of it enough times already. Apparently, we are not ready for measurements that are sensible. Cars yes, measurements no.

Besides, what would that do to the Aerosmith song, "Big 10 Inch"?

Nope, sorry, not til the band is gone.