Americans...

Options

Replies

• artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

Can't tell you how many damned times I've ranted about this.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.

Um... unless the school system really sucks, students should already be learning the metric system in their math and science classes... :-/ It's really not that difficult and it's much easier to use... After learning that tempurature measured in Fahrenheit (which a Swede came up with, not us) is based off of the freezing tempurature in Stockholm, I prefer Celcius... at least it's less arbitrary.

Upper level math and science classes are probably the only place in my life I ever actually did use the metric system, and I promptly forgot most of what I learned post-math and science classes. I'm not what one would call "left brained" so to speak lol
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Just learn both. Not difficult.
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    The metric system makes perfect sense. Except maybe the 'stone' nonsense. But kg, m, L, cm, g, km, that's where it's at.

My country is foolish in a lot of ways.

Stone is not metric, it's British weirdness.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around

Actually, I wish we didn't already compel people to wear seatbelts... then there would be fewer stupid people for me to rant about.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Options
    Yes. Anyone studying science will have learned the metric system at some point. Anyone working a scientific career uses it on a daily basis.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    We tried back in the late 70's to convert. Road signs were in MPH and KMH. The problem was the auto industry didn't want to retool all the cars.

And while we are at it we should probably learn 2 or 3 more languages.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'd be sooooo confuzzled...Wait! ... 1+1 is 2 right?? :bigsmile:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Yes. Anyone studying science will have learned the metric system at some point. Anyone working a scientific career uses it on a daily basis.

THIS! As an engineer, I work in all units.

How about this. Let's make a deal. Americans will learn the metric system if the rest of the world learns English. I think that seems fair.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We like to be 'different'

;)
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    The metric system makes me curse. I'm actually pretty sure everyone should switch to my special measurement system. It's the one where you just compare whatever it is to something else. How big was the hole in the floor? Oh, about 3 grapefruits. How heavy was that dead hooker? Oh, about 7 bowling balls. See? It works.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    No. But Thanks for asking.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm quite happy measuring in inches.

Thank you.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.

Um... unless the school system really sucks, students should already be learning the metric system in their math and science classes... :-/ It's really not that difficult and it's much easier to use... After learning that tempurature measured in Fahrenheit (which a Swede came up with, not us) is based off of the freezing tempurature in Stockholm, I prefer Celcius... at least it's less arbitrary.

Upper level math and science classes are probably the only place in my life I ever actually did use the metric system, and I promptly forgot most of what I learned post-math and science classes. I'm not what one would call "left brained" so to speak lol

Hahaha... I completely understand that... I forget a lot of things I don't use also... but it is frustrating as hell to have to convert from imperical to metric AND then finally do the equations... :-/
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How many pounds are in a stone?

14lb in a stone. :-)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Hell no...I'm 50 years old..Who are you Jimmy Carter?
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Some things imperial makes sense to me, a 4X8 sheet of wood for example.

Does the United States use imperial in the nutrition facts on the food?
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    Couldn't resist

team_america___police_du_monde2.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

Wait . . . you mean this hasn't happened yet? because when I was school I remember specifically being told that the official conversion would be around 2005 or 2010 and that we really needed to be ready for it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hell no...I'm 50 years old..Who are you Jimmy Carter?
    :laugh: