Americans...

Options

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The United States of America
    Doing what we damn well please since 1776!

:smokin:

Now I feel patriotic. It's our right to bastardize measurement systems to fit our needs.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    We are special. Stubborn. Snowflakes.

GOD BLESS 'MERICA! You take yer funny measurin' system and crazy talk back to Europe!

Word.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYzx5lqEhADEhCkEC2DJ_WyCT94Rc79m1kSPD_7pcAB9HMAlYe_w
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

:laugh: So true!

But in any regard, as a scientist.. I completely agree!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Please, our government can't make a decision without at least 10 years of discussions & bills :laugh:
    It's designed to be that way -- slow and methodical. The problem is with gov't getting involved in more than they should.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I would be so lost on the metric system.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Options
    The metric system makes perfect sense. Except maybe the 'stone' nonsense. But kg, m, L, cm, g, km, that's where it's at.

My country is foolish in a lot of ways.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    jaxbeck, that's the citizens fault.

yeah ok :laugh:
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Tried it in the 70's, didn't like, gave it back.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    It's been tried before, in the 90's the US Government tied transportation funding to the teaching of the metric system with the hopes of converting to the metric system for some uses and it failed miserably.

And I for one am thankful, both systems are just as easy to use, but I personally love the history of the Imperial system and hate the naming convention of the SI system.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    The same ppl who want us to switch to the metric system tell us to wear seat belts, or we should like soccer or cant smoke in diners...to u I say FU ....WE R AMERICA...

the rest of the world should follow us, not the other way around
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.

Um... unless the school system really sucks, students should already be learning the metric system in their math and science classes... :-/ It's really not that difficult and it's much easier to use... After learning that tempurature measured in Fahrenheit (which a Swede came up with, not us) is based off of the freezing tempurature in Stockholm, I prefer Celcius... at least it's less arbitrary.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Seriously America, can't we get with the picture and use the metric system like the rest of the world?

I'm sick of having to convert weights and distances and food conversions.

Okay, rant over.

I ave grown up with our system. I have a hard enough time with basic addition and subtraction. Don't make me learn a whole new system!!!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to add this in - as an American living in the UK, I've had to get used to the metric system. My scale measures in grams and kilos and food is sold in grams and kilos. That being said, I find the imperical system MUCH easier to estimate how much food you're taking. For instance, if I'm at a restaurant, I can estimate how many cups of rice I'm eating. I can NOT estimate how many grams of rice I'm eating.

I think the imperical system has its uses. Oh, and by the way, most kids learn the metric system in school guys. We just dont USE it.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    haha I love this rant. I can't begin to explain how confused I get trying to convert in my head.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Who GAF?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If everyone has to use the same measurement system, then everyone has to drive on the same side of the road.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Tried it in the 70's, didn't like, gave it back.

:laugh:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

LOVE!:laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Yes, it would be easier if we used the metric system. But do you know how expensive that would be? Changing all the road signs? Changing every bit of packaging? Not to mention TEACHING people the metric system.

Seriously, I dont think it's that big of a challenge to ask google how many grams are in x amount of y.

Teaching people to use the metric system? You are probably right, which is sad, because it's the most intuitive thing in the world. I am a chemist and I spend all day using the metric system, and then I step out into "the real world" and I just shake my head and ask why...

Hahaha, as a Geographer (with climate and meteorology emphasis) I also wonder why?