Best Cucumber Salad ever! :)

Options
tyedyechick0930
tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
I live in the south and hot days when you want a cold recipe that's healthy to eat, I turn to Cucumber salad. It's so yummy! :bigsmile:

Cucumber salad:
4 cucumbers
3 tomatos
1/2-1 small onion
(Sometimes I also add yellow and orange bellpeppers)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar or other sweetener
1 Tbsp. dried dill or dill seeds (optional-I prefer it without dill but my husband likes it with)
Dice all veggies and toss together in bowl.
Combine vinegar, water, and sugar in saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to boil, then let cool and pour over vegetables. Stir in dill to taste, cover and refrigerate .
Enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tyedyechick0930
    Options
    I try to get a sweet onion if they're available.
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't happen to have a calorie count for this on hand would you? Sounds delicious and I'm a sucker for salad.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    ooo thx for the recipe! sounds GREAT!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Only thing that worries me is the 1/2 cup of sugar...
  • tyedyechick0930
    Options
    I just entered the recipe into my food calculator. The sugar does add a lot of calories. This is the totals for cucumbers, tomatoes, 1/2 onion, vinegar, and sugar. Here's the totals it gave me:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium
    Total: 579 41 2 9 37
    Per Serving: 97 7 0 2 6
    (6 servings per bowl)

Almost all of those calories come from the sugar so if anyone knows of any sugar or sweetener substitutes please let me know. I actually only use 1/4 cup of sugar when I make this for my family because my mom is a diabetic. So definitely, please let me know if there is an alternative. This was the recipe a friend gave to me.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    If there are truly 6 servings per recipe that's not bad...it would leave each serving at 96.5 calories.

I would say cutting the sugar to 1/4 cup or even 1/8 cup would be acceptable...I'll try making this with a lower amount of sugar and post back. It looks great.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I live in the south and hot days when you want a cold recipe that's healthy to eat, I turn to Cucumber salad. It's so yummy! :bigsmile:

Cucumber salad:
    4 cucumbers
    3 tomatos
    1/2-1 small onion
    (Sometimes I also add yellow and orange bellpeppers)
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup white sugar or other sweetener
    1 Tbsp. dried dill or dill seeds (optional-I prefer it without dill but my husband likes it with)
    Dice all veggies and toss together in bowl.
    Combine vinegar, water, and sugar in saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to boil, then let cool and pour over vegetables. Stir in dill to taste, cover and refrigerate .
    Enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:
    My mother made this in the summer when we had barbecues. It is a great dish and loved it! I will have to make me some soon..Mmm. My Mom never used dill but always put fresh chives in it. Thanks for bringing my fond memory back. :smile:
  • tyedyechick0930
    Options
    It makes a pretty big bowl. I think we got 10 servings out of the bowl I brought to our family's Mother's day get together. I didn't have any left and I didn't use dill or anything. I wonder if Splenda could work as a substitute for this. If anyone has used Splenda let me know. I have a pic of it, but I don't know how to get pictures on here. Lol. My husband wants me to make this with some yellow and orange bellpepper added, which I think sounds yummy to. :bigsmile:
  • lizschwab
    lizschwab Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    save
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I'd definitely use the dill...probably fresh over dried though...and the orange and yellow bell peppers are a must...
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Gotta try this
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump!

Sounds delish
  • DzzyButterfly
    DzzyButterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    save!

Sounds delish!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    make it with splenda.....mmmmmmmmmm and fresh dill for sure!
  • r3d13
    r3d13 Posts: 139
    Options
    BUMP
  • 2kidzlater
    2kidzlater Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I do something similar without the sugar and heating. Just put it all in a bowl and mix. I also add feta when I need the extra calories.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sounds great.
  • jcmjim22
    jcmjim22 Posts: 162
    Options
    I would say cutting the sugar to 1/4 cup or even 1/8 cup would be acceptable...I'll try making this with a lower amount of sugar and post back. It looks great.

Looking forward to your feedback after lowering the sugar. :)
  • tyedyechick0930
    Options
    Sounds great! I do something similar without the sugar and heating. Just put it all in a bowl and mix. I also add feta when I need the extra calories.

That's how I've made it in the past with regular distilled vinegar. But I tried the apple cider vinegar and when you heat it up it dissolves the sugar better. Man the apple cider gave it a good zing. Love it this way!
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    can't wait to try!